Copy manual lines and notes from 5.1 workspace to 6.0 workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy manual lines and notes from 5.1 workspace to 6.0 workspace

While converting from QCharts 5.1 to QCharts 6.0, I opened my 5.1 workspace with QCharts 6.0. Since the index symbols all changed, the manually drawn lines and notes that I inserted under QCharts 5.1 do not display in QCharts 6.0. For example, the index in QCharts 5.1 is INDU and for QCharts 6.0 it is $INDU. These are drawn in the Candlestick chart, StockRSI study, and Directional Movement study.

Is there a way to copy my manually drawn lines and notes from INDU in my 5.1 workspace to $INDU in my 6.0 workspace?

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance. I have tons of lines and notes across many index symbols; loosing these lines and notes would be heartbreaking during the migration to 6.0.
    Last edited by schaubach; 12-16-2007, 06:55 AM.

I'm having the same problem. My trading logs and actually my whole system uses NDX.X charts. I reloaded 5.1 to get around this, and the clock is ticking until the date when we'll be forced to take 6.0, and lose a lot of data collected over the years! The other option is probably about 2-3 months of painstaking data transfer to recreate the last few years of accumulated data.data. And now to make matters worse, NDX.X has changed symbols to NDXX, so I'm having the same problem within 5.1 whenever I'm using those charts...
    Anybody know how to migrate lines & symbols with the data?
    Last edited by westernsun; 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM.
    Scott

Comment

I'm really needing some hints and tips on how to copy over my own lines and notes for a specific stock symbol to another workspace...... Any ideas out there?

Comment

This is for stocks, or syms that will have the same symbol in both the source/old and target/new workspace.

You can't select one specific symbol's lines to copy from a chart in wksp A and load into wksp B, but you can copy all lines for all syms in a specific chart to load into a new chart.

In the old workspace, make sure that in main Toolbar>View>Preferences>Charts tab that "Include lines in chart layout files" has the check-mark ON.

R-click a specific chart that has lines/notes for stocks and mouse to Layout>Save. When the save dialog comes up, suggest you give the layout file a unique name for clarity's sake...like "Daily Chart", or whatever. Save the file anywhere you wish, but be clear on the Full-Path>Folder where you put it.

In the new workspace, R-click the chart you wish the saved lines to be. Mouse to Layout>Load, and when the open dialog comes up, navigate to the folder where you did the previous save, and Load "Daily Chart" layout file.

All lines/notes for all stocks contained in that specific chart in the old workspace will now be in the new chart.

Repeat above for all charts that may have lines. Each chart is independent of other charts and each specific chart has it's own set of lines that were drawn on various symbols in that specific chart.

LAM

Originally posted by schaubach
        I'm really needing some hints and tips on how to copy over my own lines and notes for a specific stock symbol to another workspace...... Any ideas out there?

Comment

Larry, thanks for the information. Your suggestion is similar to copying the entire workspace from 5.1 to 6.0. Unfortunately, this still leaves behind all of my work on symbols that have changed from 5.1 to 6.0, such as the DJ30 that is INDU in 5.1 and now is $INDU in 6.0.

Many of us will surely need to be able to copy the lines and notes for specific symbols from a 5.1 workspace to a 6.0 workspace and account the change of the symbol.

Any other hints and tips out there? This is critical for customer satisfaction in the migration from 5.1 to 6.x.

Comment

What is the official QCharts position on this?
            Is there a way to accomplish this?
            Is this a known requirement to be handled in a future release?
            Is there any manual work around that I can do to copy over my lines and notes from one symbol to another symbol?
            Is there any tool that can manipulate the .qcw file?

This is really important to be able to migrate INDU to $INDU. Thanks ahead of time.

Comment

i'm having the same problem as well. there has to be a better way than copying everything manually. this problem along with 6.0 being a resource hog and, the lack of historical data on any time frame smaller than a daily chart has made the switch extremely tedious and disappointing. i hope all these issues are addressed and solved soon. i guess it could be worse but i'm pretty unsatisfied with 6.0 so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren2337
                there has to be a better way than copying everything manually.
                This is precisely why I am writing the qcltool (see here). Have you tried it? Note that it currently only works on QCL (layout) files, not QCW (workspace) files.

nall.

Comment

no, haven't tried it yet. i'll give it a try tomorrow. looks like this may save me an enormous amount of time......thanks.

Comment

Nall,

Thanks for writing such a utility!

I tried it out. By bad luck, I've run the same workspace in both QCharts 5 and QCharts 6 already, and have apparently inserted some lines and notes for the new symbol already in there. When I ran the utility I got this:

Version 0.2 (c) Jon Nall 2008
                    WARNING: Changing INDEX:COMPX to INDEX:$COMPQ, but an entry already exists for INDEX:$COMPQ in Pane 0
                    Skipping until merge support in added.
                    WARNING: Changing INDEX:INDU to INDEX:$INDU, but an entry already exists for INDEX:$INDU in Pane 0
                    WARNING: Changing INDEX:OEX to INDEX:$OEX, but an entry already exists for INDEX:$OEX in Pane 0
                    Replaced INDEX:INX with INDEX:$SPX in Pane 0
                    Replaced INDEX:INX with INDEX:$SPX in Pane 1
                    Replaced INDEX:INX with INDEX:$SPX in Pane 3
                    Exit status: OK

Is there any way I can clean the notes and lines so that there isn't a conflict? (I've noticed a way to clean out the lines by right click -> "Lines" -> "Edit Lines"; but apparently there is other stuff for that same symbol in there someplace.)

Is there any plans to have merge support?

BTW, I really appreciate your efforts to provide such a utility free, and I fully understand if you don't plan on tackling the merge support.

Comment

Nall,
                      Your utility works great. It worked for all of my symbols except for these 2:

GY A0
                      GI8 A0

The utility probably doesn't like the space.

Thanks,
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by saminnc
                        Nall,
                        Your utility works great. It worked for all of my symbols except for these 2:

GY A0
                        GI8 A0

The utility probably doesn't like the space.

Thanks,
                        Steve
                        I don't think the space should matter. Could you send me a private message with the program output?

Thanks.
                        nall.

Comment

PM Sent.

Steve

Comment

AMy help for the .qcw files?

Hi nall,
                            I see that your utility works for .qcl files. Have you had any success with .qcw files?

thanks
                            Jason

Comment

Re: AMy help for the .qcw files?

Originally posted by jhill1965
                              Hi nall,
                              I see that your utility works for .qcl files. Have you had any success with .qcw files?

thanks
                              Jason
                              Yes, I can parse QCW files. I don't support reading/writing certain sections (e.g. Island Book), but there's definitely enough to manipulate lines and notes on the charts.

nall.

Comment

Working...
                              X