Cant Fully Populate ES Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Fully Populate ES Data

Its Saturday morning, no QC or ESig support, so I am coming to the Forum for input on this issue.

I am running QC 6.0, and I can only get 1 day of 1 min ES data, the data from yesterday, 12/21.

With QC 5.1, I could just shop around on different servers until I found one that had the data fully populated.

What can I do with the vaunted ESignal network to get a fully populated ES chart, other than completely rebooting ESignal?

Is there something I can do in the Data Manager to refresh the connection and re-request the data, or maybe even switch to another Esignal server?

Ignore everything you remember about the Continuum servers, because the eSignal servers are structured completely different. Different data types are stored on different servers, and in order to maintain balance between the servers, there is no way to choose which server to connect to (this is a good thing from an overall quality standpoint.) There's a Connection Manager working at the server side to manage all your connections as opposed to 5.1's method of allows the client-side (i.e. QCharts) to control it.

If you suspect there's something wrong with the data on an eSignal server, you can go to http://tickreporter.esignal.com/ and fill out a incident report.

We have network operations staff on site at both our ticker plants 24/7 and on holidays. Technical Support staff isn't available, but NetOps is watching out for the servers and actively looking for problems. If a server goes into alarm, they'll react as needed.

Regarding your problem, what symbol are you using? Probably obvious, but make sure you're not using ES Z7 as that symbol has expired. I'm able to pull in a full 3 days of 1 min data using ES #F (continuation contract) on my single monitor system. If you aren't seeing this amount of data, try just shutting QCharts and the DM down, and start it back up again.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Right, Jay, Im aware of the differences between the QC and ESignal architectures.

Im not requesting data for the expired ES Z7 contract.

I am requesting data for the ES #F symbol.

I am only getting 1 days worth of data.

Suggesting that I shut down and restart ESignal does not help me. Avoiding shutting down and restarting ESignal was the whole purpose for my original post.

I will repeat my question: Is there any way other than shutting down and restarting the ESignal Data Manager to refresh a defective data input like the one I apparently have?

From working through similar issues with ESig Support, I know that the Data Manager has some tools for monitoring incoming data, can it also re-request a data refresh from scratch for a symbol?

Does this mean that the ESignal network has unsycnchonized servers like the Continuum network, where some servers have corrupted data or other problems, and if you connect to that server you are out of luck until you disconnect and reconnect to ESignal?

I was told by one ESig tech that you have to wait 5 minutes after you leave the ESignal network before logging back on to make sure you will get connected to a new server. Otherwise, you will just go back to the one you were previously connected to. Is this an accurate statement?

This only one of many data issues I have had with ESignal. I thought the QC-ESignal marriage was going to make this server-logging on/off stuff a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by mikesch
        This only one of many data issues I have had with ESignal. I thought the QC-ESignal marriage was going to make this server-logging on/off stuff a thing of the past.
        Yes, and it should... for the most part. However, it doesn't make a specific server immune from experiencing a data problem. In most cases when a server experiences a problem it sets off an alarm that NetOps can respond to. Once a problem is confirmed, their first response is to move users over to a new server... in some cases, the Connection Manager will detect this and move you automatically. I suspect that either QCharts 6.0 is misbehaving (i.e. not requesting more data when it should be doing so,) or an abnormal server problem has occurred that hasn't triggered an alarm.

To answer your question, there is a way to re-request the data while in a session. Try toggling the All Sessions on/off or requesting 2-min bars. If that doesn't do the trick try using ES H8 or ES #F=2 (a day-only variety.)
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Thanks Jay, I tried your suggestions, and unfortunately, still no improvement. I will reboot ESignal later and that will likely fix the issue.

The reason I am resisting the ESignal reboot is that I have other applications connected to the Data Manager that make a complete reboot about a 20 minute process to get everything back in order. No big deal on Saturday - in live trading, a real problem. So I thought I would use this as an opprtunity to discover if there was a way to refresh data without a reboot.

Can you also comment on the ESig tech's statement that one should remain off network for at least 5 minutes if one is rebooting/restarting the Data Manager in order to force a server change? Is this a correct statement?

Comment

To be honest, I'm not really familiar enough with the Connection Manager to say whether or not that's true, but if the tech said it, he likely has observed that in the past. When I'm back in the office on Thursday, I'll try to test this theory out.

Have a great holiday, Mike.

~Jay
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

Working...
            X