Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qcharts 6.0 freezing up

Hi,
    Hoping someone has seen this. I have qcharts 5.1 and 6.0 installed. On the surface both seem to be working. But 6.0 will just freeze up from time to time for no apparent reason. It is too random to be able to describe and too scary for me to fully migrate to 6.0.
    I am running a brand new Dell Precision M6300 running Vista Ultimate with the fastest hard drive Dell sells, 4G of memory, and the bext LCD and graphics card available. I dropped serious coin on this box so I cant believe the issue is hardware since the 5.1 is running fine. The cable modem is pushing the "business class" speed so there is nothing I can imrove on there. Besides, not that many people in my neighborhood sharing the cable.
    Has anyone else seen this freeze up issue or have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your time
    Jason

Qcharts 6.1 locked up at market open. Tried to send bug report but it had a error in it- helpdll to old. I just installed 6.1 3 days ago. Had only 3 charts and time and sales in workspace. Fast cpu and 4 gig ram, fast cable connection. Installed 6.1 on recommendation of tech support after 5.1 had experienced server lags of 12+ seconds on many servers after the Florida servers were shut down. Not many problems before Florida servers were shut down. 5.1 never crashed on me. Since installing 6.1 I monitored the cpu usage and ram and did not peg cpu or even close, but had only 3 charts, no quotes. Most charts took 1 to 2 minuets to load after hours. After hour’s earnings come out, wan to load the stock into a chart and trade it and have to wait 2 minuets to get the chart up- not acceptable. 5.1 loads charts in 1 sec. Will go back to 5.1, 6.1 is unusable for trading.

Terry

Comment

Flier, could you email me your 6.0 workspace?

[email protected]

Thank you.

Comment

Same problems

I'm having the same freezing up problems. When QCharts 6 is not freezing, it's often ridiculously slow. The strangest thing is I can run QCharts 6 on my MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion, and it runs better than my 4 monitor purpose PC built trading station. Even the the Mac is running wirelessly, it runs it faster and does not freeze up.

Comment

Thanks to all of you who emailed your 6.x workspaces. I've done some testing on them and all but one of them work well during market hours. The only one that I was not able to run was a 4 or five-monitor setup that appeared to really slow things down considerably as expected.

I bought my wife a new dual core with Vista and tried 6.x on it as a test after setting up the machine to my specs. That box runs equally well with very small delays in filling all charts. I run 6.x and 5.1 together averaging 350 to 380 symbols and using at least eight quote sheets, depending on the day, and the only adverse operation is that the cooling fans run considerably more often, which is also expected. A no-option w.space and an option w.space show very little difference during market hours.

6.0.1.6 does run slightly faster than 6.0.1.2, but both appear to be doing well. Looking forward to 6.1 as I would like more data fields in the Quote Sheets that are currently available in 5.1 ie: Price at ask/bid. Vol at ask/bid, Short Interest and several others that will be up to date from the Esignal servers. Also, wondering if Jay or Mike could fix the TickVolume columns as they appear to be unerpowered in both 5.1 and 6.x as some are showing no activity when volumes have occured.

'Tail.

Comment

My QC 5.1 ran equally well on a one, two or four monitor platform. In fact 5.1 still runs significantly faster on the 4 monitor platform than does 6.0. ( Tire builder workspace 220 symbols.)Doesn't the drop in QC 6.0 performance with the increasing number of monitors imply a problem with portion of the program devoted to the graphics? Should we be looking at the utilization of the graphics processors not just the utilization of the CPU???

Is the code for the graphics processing different btw 5.1 and 6.0???

Comment

I've been using the new QC 6.0 on a 3 monitor system and also must say it is NOT reliable. Good thing I do not trade with it and only use it for backup/research. The data is *very* slow to show up. I really like the look and feel of QC and am a long-time subscriber. But in terms of data reliability, it seems the integration with the eSignal datamanager has only made things worse!

Oh, and I keep getting these f*^#ing annoying messages saying I've gone over some F*&^%ing symbol limit when ALL I'M LOOKING AT IS 100-150 SYMBOLS.

WTF?!
              Last edited by indextrader; 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X