Friday's QQQQ Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday's QQQQ Volume

On v6.0, I'm getting 546,079,460 for the volume on Friday. On my v5.x, I'm getting 273,063,208. Obviously one of the numbers is right and one of them isn't. I've seen this problem before, where it usually resolves by the next trading day. But I need the volume to be accurate at the end of day.

Any idea what to do?

QC 5 is running on the Continuum datafeed which is "trade Limited". QC 6 gets all trades - trust QC 6 for data.

~Bob

Comment

Bob

I continue to see the exact same problem that jdevincentis describes. It seems that the volume for every symbol is corrected the next day.

Here is a chart of INDU presented as an example. This screenshot was taken on 1/16/08. Unfortunately I did not put the cursor on the last bar so the volume can be clearly read. However a 1 billion+ figure for the volume stands out. The very next day this volume was corrected to approximately 500 million which you can see on your own INDU chart right now.

So the question is what exactly is happening? Why does it take one day to see the correct volume?

Regards
      Attached Files

Comment

Guys,

Listen to what I say.

A fairly high percentage of trades are missing from the Continuum datafeed and the reported volumes show it.

When QCharts was first developed a number of years ago the data vendor for the Continuum datafeed was able to supply more than an adequate amount of data for the amount of trading. Trades have increased an order of magnitude in the last few years and the only way the data supply can keep up with demand (time wise) is to eliminate a percentage of trades.

The datafeed for QC6 is more up-to-date and receives all trades. So, if you are really interested in seeing all trades you must use QC6 instead of QC5.

~Bob

Comment

Bob

What I'm discussing is solely related to QCharts 6.0 and has nothing to do with QCharts 5.1.

The problem is that often the latest volume figure seen for a symbol at EoD, is changed the next day.

In case of INDU which its chart I posted, on 1/16/08 the daily volume for that day was reported in excess of 1 billion. On 1/17/08 the volume figure for 1/16/08 was changed to 500 million or so which is also the figure being seen today.

This is not an isolated incident. I've seen this problem with many symbols. Here is another example. On 1/16/08, the volume for SNHY was reported as approximately 738,000. As of today, the volume for that particular date is reported as 369,432. This is a significant discrepancy.

The first screenshot was taken on 1/16/08. I apologize for not showing the data window. At the time my intent was not to illustrate this volume issue.

The second screenshot was taken today 1/20/08, with the data window showing the volume data for 1/18/08.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by svrz; 01-20-2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Here is the second screenshot for SNHY which was taken today.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's very interesting. I checked Nasdaq for the Official Volume for SNHY on 1/16/08 and as you can see below it was 369,432 which is what QC 6 data shows at the present. If you are sure this is what is happening why don't you post a question to Jay?

~Bob
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bobscott
                If you are sure this is what is happening why don't you post a question to Jay?

~Bob
                Well, I have presented solid evidence that it is indeed a problem. When there is such a discrepancy in day to day volume of such a broad index as INDU, then it is indeed a broad problem. Pardon the pun, of course .

It is not a major problem for me as of yet because I primarily use QCharts 5.1. Although it does not report every trade for every symbol, at the very least its volume figures are consistent.

This thread was started as a notice to QCharts personnel. Because of tremendous assistance that you and Larry have provided to the QCharts community over the years, we sometimes forget you guys are not associated with the company. So to take your suggestion: Jay please look into this issue.

Comment

jdevincentis, bobscott, svrz -

Incorrect reported volume was an issue during Beta testing. QC6.0 has a previously reported known bug where it doubles volume. Typically, the Snapshot Bar will be correct and the Data Window & Chart will be double the actual volume. It is also previously reported and known that 6.0 has incorrect intraday chart volume. See posts below.

See 10-28-07 post here

Incorrect Intraday Chart Volume (Merged

fyi,
                  Carol

Comment

Thanks, Carol.

Comment

Carol...thanks for running down those links.

Jay,

As more users fire up 6.0, either new QCharts clients, or existing 5.1 users to at least kick the tires on 6.0, we get new reports and questions that are that same as previously noted bugs and issues that are buried in threads/posts here and there. This isn't a criticism of the posters for not doing Search diligence, not at all. Search can be fruitful at times and also frustrating at times. I empathize, I understand. I must admit that I've spaced on what's been reported. I've lost track of all known issues and bugs and where they have been reported and acknowledged. My bug/issue list is hopelessly out of date...both my physical list and brain-memory list.

It sure would be helpful, imho, for there to be a Sticky post that lists reported bugs/issues and their current status.

LAM

Comment

Larry (and others)

I just submitted a post to the qcideas e-mail address requesting that the product development folks investigate installation of some bug/issue tracker software that the user community can use to submit, monitor, and search for QChart software bugs. I know that open source products like Open Office do this and it seems to work well. It does require the discipline to properly search for and submit bug reports, but bug tracking software can be a big help in keeping track of what's going on with the status of software.

Comment

Working...
                        X