Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does QCharts save extended lines on charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does QCharts save extended lines on charts?

Hi,

I have experienced that QCharts has extended lines etc available for the same stock on different workspaces. So, I assume that this is then not saved IN the workspace but somewhere else on the computer.
    I am working on 2 different computers (1 at work, 1 at home) with 2 different screen resolutions. As I would like to work at both places adding trendlines etc I would like to copy the information and take it with me.
    Copying the workspace is not working as I'd have to re-arrange the windows to fit the screen resolution.

Help appreciated.
    Chris
    http://www.stock-research-tools.com
    Advanced tools for traders and active investors - with QCharts Plugin!

Hi Chris,

There's not a standalone file that contains just lines (the Drawing Toolbar stuff).

When you save a Layout you can include the lines you have drawn in a specific chart-window via a R-click>Layout>Save. Make sure your View>Preferences>Charts tab has "Include lines in chart layout files" enabled.
    A subsequent Load of that Layout into another Workspace's specific chart-window will include everything that was Saved.

This will be a full Layout replacement, not a merge. And in addition to the Lines, the Format will also be applied. Ya know, the chart style, the bar spacing, custom coloring, the snapshot if any. So if you have different chart styles in your different workspaces (home and work), this may be problematical.

When you do the Save, be sure and give it a unique Layout name. Like Daily-chart, or 60min-chart. The file generated will be Filename.QCL. You may wish to create and use a separate Folder somewhere for these files, so that it's easy to copy to a Stick or whatever to tote twix home and work. I use a Desktop folder as a common repository for all my workspaces/layouts/symbol files that I load into various versions of QCharts.

Give it a try and see if that's viable for you.

LAM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
      Make sure your View>Preferences>Charts tab has "Include lines in chart layout files" enabled.
      Slightly offtopic, but one thing that I find non-intuitive about that setting is that it only affects lines/notes in the price window. Any lines/notes on lower studies are saved regardless of that setting.
      Last edited by nall; 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

In anticipation of this issue I made sure my monitors and resolutions at work were the same at home. Then I just carry a thumb drive btw the two. Saving a copy to the machine before exiting the program means you are never more than one day away from a back up. COMPUSA just put a decent 19" Acer DVI monitor on sale for $169. The traditional 17" and 19" monitors have the same resolutions. Good luck,
        Eye

Comment

Working...
        X