Formula for Directional Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula for Directional Indicators

I have a rather technical question, so I hope this is in the right place....

I was wondering if anyone knows how QCharts calculates the average (over some period) of the directional indicators. I am trying to verify QCharts' values in my own code and I cannot match theirs. I can find Average True Range and Directional Indicators for a period of one, and actually I can find Average True Range for all periods and match the QCharts numbers; however, the generic smoothed average formula I use for the ATR does not seem to work for the Directional Indicators. If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate some assistance.

batrax

Batrax, did you ever get this figured out? I am also having trouble reproducing qchart adx +di and -di values. I can calculate rsi and macd without problems, but not adx. So, I just wondered if you had made any progress with this?

Thanks.
    E.

Comment

I have not yet. For ATR I use a smoothing average, TR_avg(idx) = smoothing_constant*(TR(idx)-TR_avg(idx-1)) + TR_avg(idx-1). This equation works for all periods, but the follow on equations for directional indicators do not seem to work for me, though I believe I can get directional movement correct. I do not think the above equation works for directional movement averaging; there must be a different equation. I also have trouble figuring out how QCharts does some of its initial averaging at the beginning of a price range.

If I do not get any more info soon, I will email ESignal back and see if I can get more help, or get help here from some tech support. So far my request for assistance has not been answered with any in depth explanation.

Comment

Hi Guys.
        This works (both directional and adx).

Good luck.
        nall.

http://pastie.textmate.org/private/h...kpbieoiaur6qfq

Comment

did not work for me

Thanks nall for your reply!! I tried your formula and still am not getting the same values as QCharts. If this works for you, can you tell me what length and adxLength (I tried length=13 and adxLength=5) you are using and what specific stock you tested it on? I tried on several different stocks and never got close to the same values as QCharts.

Comment

Re: did not work for me

Originally posted by ethanmls
            Thanks nall for your reply!! I tried your formula and still am not getting the same values as QCharts. If this works for you, can you tell me what length and adxLength (I tried length=13 and adxLength=5) you are using and what specific stock you tested it on? I tried on several different stocks and never got close to the same values as QCharts.
            I tested these on GOOG daily and got exact matches for all bars I spot checked. Note that length is the +DI/-DI length paramter. adxLength is the ADX smoothing paramter.

You'll also probably need to multiply the +/-DI values by 100.

Let me know if you still have issues.

nall.

Comment

It worked!

Ok, I had the lengths backward - sorry I should have tried switching. But, now it works perfectly!! I verified with goog, aapl, and cme!!

Many Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X