How to "unstitch" symbols?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "unstitch" symbols?

When companies merge - we "stitch" together their symbols so the charts are reflective.

In the same light - is there a way to "unstitch" two symbols? A couple of examples are recent IPO's such as V & SOL. Their Daily & Weekly charts indicate both 50mva & 200mva - but they are only a 38 & 73 days old, respectively. If one scrolls back in time a few years, it can be seen that their ticker used to belong to someone else and, I'm assuming, this is what is creating the mva's and probably messing up the Indicators as well.

So - is "unstitching" something we, as users, can do - or is it something a QCharts moderator can take care of? If we can do it - please advise how to. If you can do it - please do.

Thanks,
    Carol

ps: Edit for clarity - this is wrt QC5.1. QC6.0 displays correctly, however, with charts so very slow to populate, I do not trade with 6.0.
    Last edited by ckelly; 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM.

Hey Carol,

I can't answer your question about un-stitching, but I will say that V and SOL look fine to me with 6.0.2. V doesn't show 50 or 200 simple moving avgs on the daily or weekly. SOL does have part of a 50 ma on the daily, but after 50 days of trading.

HTH,
    lugz

Comment

lugz,

Thanks for your note - After reading it, I realized I did not make that clarification. I went and looked and, yup, 6.0 displays correctly. Unfortunately, 6.0 is still too slow to populate charts that I do not trade with it (just Beta test it) - so I was hoping to be able to "unstitch" the 5.1 charts for daily usage.

Thanks,
      Carol

Comment

Carol,

In 5.1, new companies that are assigned a symbol that was previously assigned to another company need to be entered into the CompSyms2.INF file with a specific start date of the new company so that the old previous company history isn't picked up. Namely the "DT" (for DaTe) info you can see here.

I've sent the following to the PTB for them to update the CompSyms2 file that's downloaded from the servers.

V ; NYSE:V ; VISA INC ; NYSE:V ; DT(#NYSE:V|3/19/2008|-)
        SOL ; NYSE:SOL ; RENESOLA LTD ; NYSE:SOL ; DT(#NYSE:SOL|1/29/2008|-)

In the meantime, you can put the above statements into your local file that's used for merging syms and also for assigning specific start dates.
        CompSyms.ZNF
        (note: the local file is not CompSyms2.ZNF, but rather CompSyms.ZNF without the "2")

LAM

Comment

Follow-up....

The CompSyms2 file has been updated on the servers to include V and SOL.

LAM

Comment

Larry,
            As always - thanks for taking care of things!

Carol

Comment

My pleasure. Thanks for the Thanks, Carol.

LAM
              Originally posted by ckelly
              Larry,
              As always - thanks for taking care of things!
              Carol

Comment

Working...
              X