US Dollar Index (DX) futures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Dollar Index (DX) futures

The trading hours for the US Dollar Index (DX) futures trading at the ICE exchange (formerly the NYBOT) are incorrectly setup in QCharts...

DX futures (DX #F, DX U8, DX Z8 etc.) now trade 22 consecutive hours during a single electronic session in New York... trading from 20:00PM - 18:00PM EST (w/Settlement @ 15:00PM). This is evident when viewing an intraday chart (w/All Sessions unchecked in the Expression Toolbar). QCharts 6.0.2 has the DX trading hours set incorrectly from 8:05AM - 15:00PM EST...

See contract specs here!.

I have submitted the DX trading hours error thru the Suggestion Box previously... but the MktHours haven't been corrected yet.

Thought I would let the QCharts programmers know via this forum as well.

Thanks!
    btk_1

Hi btk_1,

Actually, the two sessions of RTH (Regular Trading Hours) and All Sessions ETH (Extended Trading Hours) for DX looks OK to me.

There's a policy of mapping syms that are technically electronic trading only syms, syms that have no formal Pit (Trading Floor) trading, into both an RTH definition and also an All Sessions definition.

For example, the symbol "ES" mini SP500 is Globex only. However it has an RTH mapping that corresponds to the symbol "SP" SP500 floor session of 9:30-16:15 ET. For another example the NYMEX Globex only syms have both an RTH and All Sessions ETH definition/mappings. The same policy is in place for all syms.

For DX, the Settlement of 15:00 provides a clue. Although the contract spec doesn't specifically mention a Pit session, the DX FAQ does. The 8:05-15:00 ET RTH mapping reflects this. Also this RTH definition matches the CME Currency Pit hours.

So, as a friendly fwiw, I'm OK with DX having both RTH and ETH definitions.
    Well, other than the ETH 15:00-16:15 session could be changed to 15:00-18:00 to match the DX spec, although the trading after 16:15 is very thin and often with outlier prices that don't really reflect the true market.

LAM

Comment

Larry, thanks for your reply! And thanks for pointing out that QCharts (ESignal) has a policy of mapping ALL symbols into both a RTH definition and an All Sessions definition. A reading of the DX FAQ's that you mention does reveal that there IS in fact a DX pit session in New York - so I apologize and was wrong in stating that it was an electronic symbol only. The 8:05-15:00 ET RTH mapping doesn't appear to match the CME Currency Pit hours... the CME website shows 8:20AM-15:00PM ET as their floor trading hours instead. I couldn't find the current DX pit trading hours... but I did uncover these trading times from an old DX contract specs listing (June 2002) which shows the following hours 3:00AM-8:00AM ET and 8:05AM-15:00PM ET... so it's certainly possible that the second session hours have carried over and have become the current actual pit trading hours at the ICE exchange.

You also say that the DX futures have an incorrect All Sessions mapping of 15:00PM-16:15PM... therefore I agree with you that the DX All Sessions mapping would have to be changed to 15:00PM-18:00PM ET to be correct and match the DX spec.

Thanks for your help!

btk_1
      btk_1

Comment

I'll get the 15:00-16:45 changed to 15:00-18:00. Will probably be in the next update of the MktHours.inf time-mapper file for the July 4 holiday.

And yep, the CME FX stuff does start Pit at 8:20. A quick look with these old tired eyes said close 'nuff <grin>.

fwiw...ICE can be goofy regarding what it says is so on paper vs actual reality.

LAM

Comment

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your willingness to go to the trouble to change the DX trading hours. I appreciate it!

Just to add a little bit more...

I contacted the ICE exchange via email and an individual from the ICE Help desk called me and then followed up with an email (see bottom of this post) to indicate that the futures contracts trade electronically ONLY... and that the options on futures (not to confuse) trade open outcry only from 8:00AM-15:00PM ET (click here for option specs).

Referring to your previous posts... and regarding the DX futures All Sessions times -- you make mention of changing the times from 15:00PM-16:15PM ET to 15:00PM-18:00PM ET. I'm not aware of what the MktHours.inf file has... but if the All Sessions times are to be correct shouldn't they be 20:00PM-18:00PM ET? Maybe this is what you're planning to do - just thought I'd check.

Thanks again for your help!

btk_1

<*................................................ .................................................. ..
          Ben,

The Floor trading hours that you have are for the options only. The futures are traded electronic only.

Bart Nance - Senior Trade Support Analyst
          IntercontinentalExchange | ICE
          2100 RiverEdge Pkwy | 5th Floor | Atlanta, GA 30328
          Tel: 770.857.4740 | Fax: 770.951.5481
          [email protected]

24-hour ice helpdesk 770.738.2101
          www.theice.com
          .................................................. .................................................. *>
          btk_1

Comment

Hey btk_1,

Sorry for lack of full disclosure<grin>. I was referring to changing but a part of the DX time map. The All Sessions will chart 20:00 thru 18:00 after the change.

Even though a sym like this may not have a real pit session, the TA folks need one to filter the thin thin and often volatile-in-price stuff that happens overnight. Actually on DX it might be appropriate to give it an RTH equaling the CME currencies. But what the hey. What's in place is probably as good as any. I dunno, don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.

Attached is an annotated screenshot that may give a little insight to how the MktHours mapping works. Hope you can decipher it.

LAM.
            Attached Files

Comment

Okeydokie...I'm sure l can get the MktHours person to make it 8:00.
              Thanks for the Thanks.
              Good Tradin' to Ya

LAM
              Larry, FWIW my vote for the start of the DX futures RTH time definition is 8:00AM ET (when the DX options start pit trading)...

I appreciate you taking the time to attach the screenshot of the MktHours mapping -- it explains the part of the time map you were referring to and further clarifies that the All Sessions DX futures trading hours are broken down into 3 specific time definitions.

Thanks for your help! ~btk_1

Comment

Working...
              X