How do I open backup files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I open backup files?

When I try to open a backup file for a workspace, Windows doesn't recognize the extension "QCW-BAK" so I specify that it be opened with QCharts. That doesn't seem to work as the computer just does not respond. Any suggestsions? Thanks!

Re: How do I open backup files?

hfisher1
    You may want to see this post by Larry Marchman on a related topic
    Alex

Originally posted by hfisher1
    When I try to open a backup file for a workspace, Windows doesn't recognize the extension "QCW-BAK" so I specify that it be opened with QCharts. That doesn't seem to work as the computer just does not respond. Any suggestsions? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the quick suggestion, Alex. I tried that, and even though the name changed, it was still identified as a QCW-
      BAK file. It did not show up in the directory as a recognized .qcw file. What next?

Comment

If you want to access a backup file, and since you can't have 2 files in the same directory with the same name you need to do 2 things.

One is to change the name of the backup or the original workspace

Second, you want the extension to be just .qcw
        You want to remove the -bak extension from the file, so that the program will recognize the file type.

Comment

Thanks, Todd. I thought that is what I was doing. But apparently I am not changing the file extension correctly. When I click on the "Rename" selection, it only allows me to rename the file, not the extension. How do I change the extension?
          Thanks again.

Comment

After you choose rename, you can click inside the highlighted box to place your cursor where you want it to be and edit the name.

Alternatively, you could just type a .qcw at the end of what name you give the file.

Comment

Yes, I did that, too. It still recognizes it as a backup file:
              RTP Workspace without candles.qcw
              QCW-BAK File

When I double click on that, nothing happens.

I was hoping this would be easy!

Comment

In Windows Explorer, make sure you are set to View>Details.
                Also Window Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View has show hidden filetypes enabled.
                And Hide extensions for known file type unchecked.
                (and I run with Hide protected files unchecked)
                Here's what I'm seeing in Windows explorer, fyi.
                The Type column changes from QCW-BAK file to QCharts Workspace after rename/enter.

HTH,

LAM
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes! That did the trick! Cool animation, also. I don't know how to do that, but that's another story. (I now need to dissect and understand what exactly I was doing wrong.)

Thanks immensely for your help, Larry. Now I don't have to re-enter 100+ stock symbols with all the extended lines and all the comments data.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.
                    Thanks for the Thanks.

LAM

Comment

Working...
                    X