Comcast Caps Bandwidth Usage for Residential Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast Caps Bandwidth Usage for Residential Customers

I don't know if other Comcast users got the same e-mail I got yesterday, but as of 10/1/2008, Comcast is capping monthly bandwidth usage for residential customers at 250 gigabytes per month.

I reset the WAN usage counters on my VPN firewall router this morning and had it start counting bandwidth usage right before 9:30 AM EDT. I had 6.0.3.1324 running with 6 charts and 222 symbols. From 9:30 to 11:00 the applications consumed 212 megabytes of bandwidth. Even if one assumes that this rate of bandwidthe consumption continues throughout the trading day, it would still fall short of the monthly 250 GB limit. If you do a lot of other bandwidth intensive work, however, you could bump up against the monthly limit.

If you need more than 250 GB of bandwidth per month, the only solution I have found with Comcast so far is to upgrade to their Comcast Business Internet service. The quote I got for this service is $89.95 per month. Less than QCharts, even at the "old" price , but double what I currently pay for Comcast residential service.

Thanks for the info. I did get that same notice for Comcast (I'm in Northern California) and was curious how much bandwidth a typical QC or eSig connection might use in a day. Results will vary based on market activity, # of symbols tracking, etc.

Thanks again.

Comment

bandwidth used

Here's another benchmark:
      On my HP Laptop.
      Been running 5.1.0.22 since this morning at 8am.
      Running "tirebuilder" workspace.
      Approx 170 tickers
      6 charts
      1 single quote.

From 8 am until 12 noon today - I've used 45mb of data, including QCharts and web browsing and a few insignificant emails (no attachments).

Also, FYI, my mother-in-law got the same Comcast notice you all did. She's in So. Virginia.

Comment

Working...
      X