Expression Tool Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expression Tool Bar

I can no longer edit the symbol list of the expression tool bar in version 4.2.1.4. This version is similar to 5.x. The list can grow but I can't reduce the number of symbols by selecting and deleting them. Anyone have a solution?

ahhaha,

I still have a runable 4.2.1.4. No problem here highlighting a sym in Symbol pull-down and hitting keyboard delete key to remove entry.

Assuming your keyboard delete key is working in general <grin>...try exit QCharts, then in your QCharts folder open the USER sub-folder and delete file MRUSymbolList.dat, then restart. The pull-down should be empty. But will it function OK now is the question.

LAM

Comment

That won't work because the symbol list is embedded in the DefaultWorkspace.dat file. Proof: on opening the MRU and Default files only the Default file has the symbols in the expression tool bar list of QC 4.1.2.4.

Years ago I noticed this peculiarity because I wanted to keep that list with a minimal, say, 200 symbols, in it, but was never able to do so editing the MRU file, and I had questionable results modifying the DefualtWorkspace.dat file. It wasn't a problem to edit directly using the delete key until about a week ago.

When a delete is attempted the edit box becomes blank and the list is reset to top of list default, but the targeted symbol remains in the list.

The QC exe hasn't changed so this behavior is anomalous.

Comment

Well, don't know what to say.
        I tested before my initial reply.
        On a carefully observed retest, same results.

On my system, the syms that are in the symbol box pull-down are NOT kept in either the "DefaultWorkspace.dat" file or in the actual workspace itself (after save). The pull-down syms are in and are maintained in the "MRUSymbolList.dat" file. On my system, indeed deleting the MRUSymbolList.dat file has the result of clearing the pull-down box. This is so whether restarting with Last Workspace login option, or Resume Previous option, or with Blank Option and then opening any workspace, no matter the symbol count in the workspace. Namely, because the pull-down syms are not in workspaces. Perhaps the syms you see in a workspace.dat file are just the syms in the workspace's quotesheets/charts, and just happen to seem to be the same as your hinkey pull-down.

In any event, this doesn't answer the issue of why a select/delete of a pull-down entry isn't working for you, nor why exit/delete MRU file/restart repopulates your pulldown.

I don't have a clue how your system got dinged, nor have a workaround or fix, other than perhaps a reinstall.

The .DAT file are binary and can't be edited in the fashion you indicate.

LAM

Comment

Working...
        X