No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried QCharts on Windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried QCharts on Windows 7?

Has anyone tried installing and running QCharts on Windows 7 yet?

I have no issues running QCharts on Vista on my laptop but Vista itself is not one of Microsoft's best efforts. Kind of like Windows 98 or ME. I'm reading and hearing good things about Windows 7 and thought I might try it out but I don't have the luxury of a spare machine to run it on so my laptop would be my test bed but that's also my fall back in case my desktop or DSL connection goes on the fritz.

Of course I would image my laptop before upgrading to Windows 7 so I could revert fairly easily but I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone else has started down this path.

Thanks

Jim

I'll give up my Windoze 2000 when they pry it from my cold dead keyboard!

If you do try Win7, let us know how well it works!

lugz

Comment

Originally posted by lugnutz
      I'll give up my Windoze 2000 when they pry it from my cold dead keyboard!

lugz
      Yeah, my file server is Win2k but it's time to move up to W2k3. Security patches and other updates are imperative for me. In a previous life I was responsible for OS and application security updates as well as exploit remediations for a fortune 500 company and I know first hand what can happen when a malicious exploit hits.

I had held off as long as I could avoiding Vista but my laptop crapped out a couple of months ago and I don't need all of the horsepower necessary to qualify for or to jusitfy the $ of the units that are still available with XP. I'll give Win7 a spin within the next couple of weeks and let y'all know what happens.

It sure would be nice if someone from ESignal would chime in and let me know if Qcharts has been tested on Win7 or not. I realize that it's a beta from MSFT but the current build is considered a release candidate.

Regards

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

We have tried QCharts 6.0.3 on Windows 7 and it works fine with the exception that you need to make the same adjustments as you do on Vista (i.e. Running in XP compatibility mode and admin mode.) Once we're past 6.1 and the integration to the eSignal network is completed and stable, we'll look into making it more Vista and W7 compliant.

On the OS side, I've been impressed with Windows 7 thus far. I especially enjoy how light it is in terms of the bloatware that MSFT has included in past OS's. Most of that is now downloaded for free through Windows Update if you need it (i.e. Windows Mail, Video Editor, Photo Gallery, Sliverlight, etc.). Most dedicated trading PC's wouldn't need that, so Windows 7 can run leaner and meaner... So far so good.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Here's a quick video on how to configure QCharts to run on Windows 7 and how QCharts ran using the default workspaces.

http://www.screencast.com/t/8zAfhqhtvV2
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Re: Has anyone tried QCharts on Windows 7?

Originally posted by JimRutherford
            ...Of course I would image my laptop before upgrading to Windows 7 so I could revert fairly easily but I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone else has started down this path.
            BTW, while I would recommend imaging your drive or just using standard back-up methods before installing Windows 7, you don't have to replace Vista with W7. The way to do this without clearing Vista is by creating a new partition on your drive (in Vista it's called "Shrink Volume") and a good description of this process can be found here.

When you boot up using the W7 install disc, just choose a clean install (not the upgrade) and choose the new partition you made. In the future, when you start up your computer, the PC will ask which OS you want to load, and viola, you have a dual-boot system.
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

Thank you for the replies Jay. This is very helpful.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X