Next dumb question - Moving Averages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next dumb question - Moving Averages

When tweaking the preferences in a moving average study. Does the number reflected mirror the time length of the chart?

That is to say, if I set it to 200, is it always 200 days? Or does the time length of the MA change with the time length of the charts? 200 minutes? 200 weeks?

I was trying to create larger MA lines using months and then realized this question.

Re: Next dumb question - Moving Averages

Originally posted by Cluracan
    When tweaking the preferences in a moving average study. Does the number reflected mirror the time length of the chart?

That is to say, if I set it to 200, is it always 200 days? Or does the time length of the MA change with the time length of the charts? 200 minutes? 200 weeks?

I was trying to create larger MA lines using months and then realized this question.

Cluracan,
    Think of your moving averages as an X period moving average. That is to say, for example, if you are on a Daily chart, it would be a 200 day moving average. If on a Weekly chart, it would be a 200 week moving average. If you are on a 60-minute chart, then it is typically referred to as simply a 200-period moving average.

The bottom line is the moving average represents X number of candles (each candle representing the time period of the chart) for that chart's time frame.

Best of luck.
    Carol

Comment

Thank you...

That's what I thought. Thank you for confirming this. Answered my question perfectly thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X