6.0.3 official release feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.0.3 official release feedback

Installed on my vista lappy... set user write perms on folder and fired up. Set data accurate mode for multi-minute bars. Workspaces change quickly, charts load as expected with no big delays. Restarted and tried again over wireless network. Memory utilization low and CPU util < 4% and very responsive, even with eMini futures!

Decided to install on my main W2K machine as well. Working great so far!

Thanks Jay and team... and special thanks to all the beta testers here. You guys should be PAID for all the work you do for eSignal making this a better product.

lugz

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm seeing Bollinger Bands randomly flatline, or paint horizontal lines.

Usually happens when looking at charts after hours. Fortunately, I have not noticed it occur during market hours

While I can live with this, I was hoping that this would be addressed, as I've seen this for the last three or four beta versions, and have posted as such.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this issue?

Otherwise, this version works well for me, as have the last two or three betas.

Comment

I just went through 150+ symbols after market hours with no problems (knock on wood.) Did you turn on the accurate candle option?

lugz

Comment

Sorry to sound like a dummy but what is the accurate candle option???

Comment

SeeWill,

Check out the Release Notes for info on that... click on Start -> Programs -> QCharts -> Release Notes

It's at the bottom of the second page under the "Multi-Minute Bar" section.
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Thanks Jay

Comment

Originally posted by lugnutz
              I just went through 150+ symbols after market hours with no problems (knock on wood.) Did you turn on the accurate candle option?

lugz
              Thanks lugz for looking into it. I have been using the accurate candle option.

Unfortunately, the horizontal bollinger bands did go horizontal for me during regular trading hours today. It happened when I clicked away from QQQQ to FSLR. Random FSLR charts had flat BBs, and when I clicked back to QQQQ, it too had flat BBs. Not all charts, but it appears to happen to longer time frame charts. I also noticed that if I stay with it, BBs will start painting, but the previous time period where the BBs were flat stay flat.

I had to restart Qcharts to resolve this. The first time I restarted, I did not get candles from yesterday's after hours session on ES and NQ futures. I restarted a second time and this resolved.

Running Vista with XP compatibility and administrator rights on an Intel T5300 if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by btrluckythngood
                I had to restart Qcharts to resolve this. The first time I restarted, I did not get candles from yesterday's after hours session on ES and NQ futures. I restarted a second time and this resolved.
                Lucky, I see this sometimes too. While QC6 has come a long way and is a much better product than it was a year ago or even a couple of months ago, it still wants a lighter touch than QC5 did.

I have noticed that the more often I switch between symbols or between workspaces the sooner the performance degrades and studies like moving averages and bollinger bands don't paint correctly on the right side of the charts. If I don't switch back and forth very often, the studies behave better.

Of course, every scenario is different. Besides differences in CPU and memory, the size and complexity of the workspace including how many symbols, charts, studies, notes, etc. are involved has to affect performance.

Some things that help me at least are to reboot my workstation either at night as the last thing I do for the evening or early in the morning well before market hours and then limit what I work with until after market hours. That includes what and how many additional applications I bring up besides QC. A fresh restart of QC without a machine reboot doesn't seem to accomplish the same thing. When I do see the indicators starting to act flaky during the day, I close the application, wait a couple of minutes and then relaunch.

Another approach that I have heard of is to save your primary workspace once you're finished your research, remove every symbol that you do not intend to work with the next day and save it as a temporary workspace that you can use during market hours. At the end of the day, delete that temporary workspace and go back to your primary. Repeat this on a daily basis. The upside is that QC will not be monitoring prices on symbols that you do not intend to work with that day thus there will be less memory, CPU and bandwidth usage. The downside is that any changes you make to the temporary workspace will not be on your primary.

Regards

Jim

Comment

Honeymoon is over.

Issues I've found so far:
                  1. quarterly and yearly charts are all wrong... Yikes.
                  2. I've had one case where one symbol in a double quote sheet magically changed to another upon a restart. Not a big deal since I've only seen this once.
                  3. I've also noticed the occasionally slow draw of MA lines, particularly in intraday charts. I don't think the bottleneck is in the local machine though, as the cpu and memory utilization is *very* low. This hasn't been bad enough to bother me.

Overall, still happy with the release... I'd say it's better than 6.0.2 as long as you don't need quarterly or yearly charts.

btrluckythngood - when you see flat BB lines, what are the candles doing? Since BB are just a function of price (typically based on closing), one would normally expect the data to be wacky (or missing!) If the candles are ok and all other indicators ok, that would give Jay and his team something to focus on. I still haven't seen your problem though.

lugz
                  Last edited by lugnutz; 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnutz
                    Honeymoon is over.

btrluckythngood - when you see flat BB lines, what are the candles doing? Since BB are just a function of price (typically based on closing), one would normally expect the data to be wacky (or missing!) If the candles are ok and all other indicators ok, that would give Jay and his team something to focus on. I still haven't seen your problem though.

lugz
                    Candles are still painting, as are moving averages. I'm assuming accurately as I've never really bothered to check. Based on Jim's earlier comment, maybe now I will. Anywho, with moving (non-flat) candles and moving averages, I'm still seeing random horizontal BBs when I open a workspace. Some timeframes it happens, but if I select another ticker, that same timeframe will not have the flat BBs.

I am seeing familiar results as Jim, namely the more I switch between symbols, the more BB issues arise. I've always started the trading day on a computer that has been powered off overnight. Still, markedly better performance than earlier versions of 6.0.

Thanks lugz and Jim for the feedback.

better lucky than good

Comment

How come I can't run 5.1 and 6.0.3 simultaneously anymore???

Comment

you should be able to.
                        I am doing so as I type this.
                        What are you seeing (error?) on your end?

Comment

Yes you are right I can, but I used to be able to do it on separate machines if I am not mistaken. Maybe I am wrong.

Comment

You're mistaken.
                            You've not been able to run 5.1 on one machine and 6.x on another.

Comment

ok thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X