Great Research Workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Research Workspaces

I am using the heck out of the qcwtool. This is a great tool for duplicating lines across all symbols. I have it setup now so it only takes about 5-min for me to get the lines across all time frames on all my symbols.

It took a bit of time to get it setup, but it only took once, and now I can turn out all sort of research workspaces in no time.

How do I do this?
    ------------------------
    01) export your quote sheets to symbols
    02) Open up the symbols files with notepad, and merge them into one file.
    03) Now comes the fun part, building the "Map File"

The "Map File" is the file used to copy all lines from X-Symbol to Y-Symbol. Since you can only copy X-Symbol to only 1 other symbol you will have to make several files and build them up. Keep building your "Map File" until all symbols are used.

I have 9-map files. Here is an example of some of them. In this example, BUCY is the symbol that contains all the lines I want to duplicate. As you can see, the first file clones BUCY to AAPL. Now both BUCY and AAPL have the proper lines. Next I use BUCY and AAPL to clone two more symbols. I then add the two newly cloned symbols to the list with BUCY and AAPL and I can now clone four more symbols. Just keep going until all your symbols are in their own lists. Remember, you have to split these up in different files since qcwtool can only use a symbol only once per run.

Map_0-1.txt
    ---------
    NASDAQ:BUCY =NASDAQ:AAPL

Map_1-2.txt
    ------------
    NASDAQ:BUCY =NASDAQ:AMZN
    NASDAQ:AAPL =NASDAQ:APOL

Map_2-3.txt
    ------------
    NASDAQ:BUCY =NASDAQ:ASEI
    NASDAQ:AAPL =NASDAQ:ASIA
    NASDAQ:AMZN =NASDAQ:BIDU
    NASDAQ:APOL =NASDAQ:BRCM

Map_3-4.txt
    ------------
    NASDAQ:BUCY =NASDAQ:CBRL
    NASDAQ:AAPL =NASDAQ:CELG
    NASDAQ:AMZN =NASDAQ:CME
    NASDAQ:APOL =NASDAQ:COKE
    NASDAQ:ASEI =NASDAQ:CSCO
    NASDAQ:ASIA =NASDAQECK
    NASDAQ:BIDU =NASDAQ:ENER
    NASDAQ:BRCM =NASDAQ:ERTS

04) Now that all your "Map Files" have been created, make sure the first symbol, BUCY in this example contains all your lines
    05) Save that workspace into the new directory
    06) Place all your map files in the new directory
    07) Launch qcwtool
    08) Select "Replace"
    09) Click "Choole File" & select your newly saved workspace
    10) Click "Load Map File" & select "Map_0-1.txt"
    11) Click "Replace and Save"
    12) It may ask you about how to save the lines, I usually say over write (2nd radio button down) then hit the bottom button to apply this to all other symbols
    13) When it asks you to save, I will rename the workspace to something like workspace-1
    14) Click "Choole File" & select your new "workspace-1" file
    15) Click "Load Map File" & select "Map_1-2.txt"
    16) Click "Replace and Save"
    17) Choose your line over write options if asked
    18) Save as "workspace-2"
    19) Continue this process until you have applied all your symbols.
    20) open up the new workspace and now you should have lines cloned across all symbols.

** If you want to clone the lines against all timeframes,
    - Mark up a daily chart (The daily is the most accurate across all time frames)
    - right click daily chart --> Layout --> Save as default
    - right click other charts --> Layout --> Load Default

Hope this helps someone like it has helped me. Thanks to the creator of qcwtool, you have save me so many hours and have allowed me to have some nice research workspaces.
    Last edited by jmhuff-2; 04-22-2009, 05:17 PM.

Hey Matt,

This is great! Excellent writeup. I used qcwtools when it was being developed. Once I migrated all the lines from my 5.1 workspaces to my 6.0 workspaces, I quit using it (though I had all kinds of ideas of what it could do for me.) Sounds like you have mastered it! Credit Jon Nall for educing the file structure and writing the qcwtool software. He did a fantastic job!

I'll have to dust off my copy of qcwtools and play around with it again... I agree that QCharts could use a function like qcwtools for managing drawn objects.

All the best,
    Tom

Comment

Matt, great work with your documentation on how to use the qcwtool. Have you tried duplicating lines onto index charts? Doesn't seem to work for me. Individual stocks work great.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

I have no problem with the indexes, as well as the continual futures aka "ES #F". Just make sure you are exporting your index quote sheet and using the same syntax.

NASDAQ:BUCY =CME:ES #F
        NASDAQ:AAPL =CME:NQ #F

NASDAQ:BUCY =INDEX:$INDU
        NASDAQ:AAPL =INDEX:$OEX

NASDAQ:BUCY =MUTUAL:BTEAX
        NASDAQ:AAPL =MUTUALRLCX

NASDAQ:BUCY =SPC:GI8 A0

NASDAQ:BUCY =ARCX:IVV
        NASDAQ:AAPL =ARCX:SPY
        Last edited by jmhuff-2; 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X