QCharts.exe - Virus variant of Win32/Genetik trojan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCharts.exe - Virus variant of Win32/Genetik trojan

I went to launch my qcharts tonight and windows said it wasn't there. I verified that the QCharts.exe was gone.

I downloaded 6.0.3.1613 and went to install it. I received a message from my virus scanner, ESET Smart Security 4, that QCharts.exe was a virus.

I guess the latest virus update had something to do with it. I have just excluded my qcharts dir from the virus checker but just giving you guys a heads up.

Hi,
    I am pretty sure you're seeing a false positive from your AV.
    I've got one other user who has emailed in to the Corp. Tech Support with the same issue. I'm contacting them to see if they are running the same AV you are (they didn't specify in the email).
    If so, I'll contact the AV vendor and let them know about the false positive that's showing up.

Comment

The other user was running NOD32 (from the same company - Eset).
      This link may be helpful:
      http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...=1249908439636
      (I've also emailed support at eset.com)

Comment

I'd recommend a different AV product. Eset and NOD32 have known issues with QCharts/eSignal and the DataManager.
        http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=1415&p=1 - see item 2b in particular.

Comment

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have had no problems with ESET NOD 32. I run ESET Smart Security, virus signature 4322, update module 1028. Just a point of reference.

Comment

hi,
            In checking your connection logs - we can see where you are getting multiple redirects and connection attempts by the data manager. This is one of the behaviors we see with the Eset suite of AV products. For some users it's a non-issue as this happens "behind the scenes" but for others it can cause connection issues.

Comment

I don't mind having to setup an exception to allow qcharts.exe, but if its causing network issues with QCharts its defiantly time to find a new program.

What ant-virus & firewall would you recommend? I am really only familiar with Kapersky and ESET which are both showing up as having known issues.

Comment

I personally use Avast! Home edition and it's worked pretty good as far as I can tell - and it's free for home users:
                http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Comment

Originally posted by billbled
                  I personally use Avast! Home edition and it's worked pretty good as far as I can tell - and it's free for home users:
                  http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
                  Same here. We're using Avast! home edition on our desktops and laptops.

Jim

Comment

I just got off the phone with the 3rd user (that I've dealt with today) who was running Eset.

He couldn't start QCharts from QFAI because he was getting an error -75 out of QFAI when he tried to launch, which according to Bob is a File/Path errror. That's dead right since Eset took QCharts.exe and quarantined it or deleted it because it mistakenly thought it was a virus! So yeah....that makes for a path error when QCharts.exe isn't there!

We uninstalled Eset, installed Avast and re-installed QCharts and all was fine again. I still haven't heard back from Eset Tech Support on them correcting this latest update that mistakenly flags QCharts.exe - for any users running into this issue - I'd just un-install Eset and install something else. I've had good luck with Avast - but you're welcome to choose whatever AV you want to run.

Comment

Sent false postive to eset

I'm running NOD32 and got the false positive. I just sent in a request to ESET to look into the false positive. Temporarily, I'm going to run a bit exposed and I turned off AMON part of NOD32 until I hear back from ESET.

Comment

schaubach,

I excluded my qchats directory from any further virus scans.

* Click your ESET icon near the clock and go to Advanced Setup.
                        * Under the Antivirus and antispyware list, click Exclusions
                        * Click add and browse to your qcharts directory.
                        * My exclusion is C:\Program Files (x86)\QCharts

Thanks for the recommendation, Bill and Jim. I will look into Avast this weekend.

Comment

jmhuff-2,

Thank you for the tip on how to exclude files/directories.... That worked.

Comment

Working...
                          X