Gap issues between Daily and intraday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap issues between Daily and intraday

I noticed a few gaps on my daily charts last night but none on my intraday charts. I didn't stop to look at them until just now.

I have ran across some tonight, here are just a few examples.

The tickers below show a gap on the daily, but not on the intraday charts. The close price of the last intraday candle doesn't match the yahoo close or that of the daily. I remember something a while back about price differences being normal between the daily and intraday, but I don't remember seeing gaps being effected.

MON 07/20/09 - $4 diff on a $76 stock
    BIO 08/04/09 - $3 diff on a $78 stock
    ISRG 07/22/09 - $20 diff on a $170 stock
    MCK 07/28/09 - $3 diff on a $46 stock

-Matt

Hey Matt,

Firstly, yes there can be and often is a little difference twix an intraday final bar close and the Daily bar close. The intraday final bar close is mechanical, the last trade before 16:00. There are usually some Mkt-at-close orders that process a little after 16:00 (stocks ET) that are in the Daily bar, and not in the intraday final bar close. Sometimes this is called stock settlement price. And the prices can and often do differ a bit.

However, regarding your "gap" comments, I'm not seeing a problem here. The screenshot is ISRG and the big pop in price, hence the gap, is shown OK in both the Daily chart and the 10min chart. So, ?? on what you're seeing.

LAM
    Attached Files

Comment

Matt,
      I have an idea what you are seeing is the difference between the "fast/inaccurate" and "accurate/slow" charts.

Take a look at View/Preferences/Multi-Minute Bars. With the top radio button (fast/inaccurate) checked, I see the gaps on the Daily charts and no gaps on the intraday's for the stocks you've listed (& just about any other stock) with a Daily gap. But, with the lower radio button (accurate/slow) checked, the gaps will also appear on the intraday charts.

Note: it's important to pay attention to the gaps on the Daily chart and then double check your intraday indicators against both top/lower radio buttons - you may see quite a difference in the signals.

Give this a look and see if it makes a difference for you.

Carol

Comment

Hey CK and Matt,

LOL. I indeed did have Multi-minute set at Fast, the upper radio button. But my 10min chart ended OK at 16:00 with no slop over timewise beyond 16:00.

I keep forgetting youse guys with whacky intraday intervals. Yes, a 233 will show After-the-Bell Form-T trades. ISRG had a good earnings report 7/22 and the price exploded upwards just after 4pm.

This is just a wart in QCharts (and eSignal) that has trade activity slop over when an interval does not divide evenly into 390 (for stocks).

So, youse guys with tire builder intervals are gonna get screwy results unless you run the bottom "accurate" bars setting in Multi-Minute options.

LAM

Comment

haha, I like your use of "youse guys"!!

I should have changed the multi-minute bar settings first. I actually set it to the fast/inaccurate setting about a week ago after someone told me they did some research and didn't notice any difference.

I will be seeing my buddy tomorrow so I will have to tell him that the fast/inaccurate charts are way better. haha!!

Thanks ya for the help and the laughs, youse guys take care now...

Comment

my bad i guess i don't look at my charts and closely as Mr. Huff. Maybe he should back up so he can see the whole picture

Comment

haha !! Tony, Tony, Tony... You just have monitor envy. You are right though, I sit 44-inches (just measured it) from my MASSIVE wall of monitors and I still get neck cramps when looking at them.

Comment

Working...
              X