Windows 7 Memory Issues w/ QCharts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Memory Issues w/ QCharts

I just noticed that Windows 7 x64 is never releasing memory for the QCharts program. I am running with QCharts.exe, Prelogon.exe, and Winros.exe specifically marked for execution as Administrator with XP SP3 compatibility. Right now, after loading a workspace with 5 charts, 128 symbols and looking at perhaps 10 symbols, and then closing all the windows, QCharts is using 126MB of private memory and 168MB working set. The memory value listed on the QCharts status bar says 165 MB.

If I run exactly the same release of QCharts (1712) on XP SP3, with the exactly the same workspace, and repeat loading the same 10 symbols, QCharts memory usage grows to around 110MB and stays there until I minimize the program, even if I close all the chart windows. As soon as I minimize the program, memory usage drops to around 8 MB.

Any ideas what's up here? I don't get this behavior with other 32 bit apps on Windows 7. Is anybody having similar experiences with Windows 7 or Vista in either its 32 or 64 bit versions?

My average usage for 6.0.3.1613 is 122 MB, this is the display in the program. When I first load up my workspace without loading any additional charts I am using 118 MB.

My average usage for 6.1.0.1712 is 162 MB, this is also the display in the program. When I first load up my workspace without loading any additional charts I am using 132 MB.

I am running Windows 7 x64. There used to be a memory bug that would bring my MB usage up to about 1,000 MB, and I would have to minimize to bring the MB's back down or QCharts would eventually crash.

Comment

jmhuff,

When you minimize the QCharts window in Windows 7 x64, does QCharts release any memory? If so, what settings do you have for running QCharts? Are you running it with any compatibility set, such as XP SP3? I have run it with compatibility set and without any compatibility settings, and I cannot get it to release any memory either way. BTW, I am running Windows 7 RC1, build 7100.

Comment

My task manager memory usage stays about the same in Windows 7 no matter if its maximized or minimized. I see you said that QChart is only using about 8megs when minimized in XP which seems way low.

I would imagine that since QCharts is still running, receiving data, and the candles should still be painting even though the program is minimized that you would free up some memory, but not too much. It seems like it would be better if your programs retained their needed resources no matter if they were minimized or not.

When I was running the older versions that had the memory leak would I would minimize when memory got around 1-gig and I think the usage would drop down to 60 - 100 MB. I haven't noticed this new version abusing the memory usage, but it also doesn't seem to give up as much memory when its minimized.

I put 12-Gigs of RAM in my system due to the older version of QCharts sucking up all my memory, so now I don't mind if QCharts sustains memory usage around 200 MB.

Just for reference, here are some of the biggest users of my memory according to task manager.

firefox - 170,096 (One firefox is minimized)
        QCharts - 163.220 (minimized)
        firefox - 127,660 (One firefox is minimized)
        dwm - 125,420
        Outlook - 104,492 (minimized)

Comment

My testing of memory release with QCharts was done by closing all active windows until I just had a blank workspace, and then I minimized QCharts. In essence, I had no active data flow to any charts when I minimized QCharts. I think this is why my memory usage with XP SP3 dropped so low. By contrast, QCharts in Windows 7 shows no drop in memory when I close all open chart and quote sheet windows, and then minimize the resulting empty workspace.

You must have one of the fancy motherboards that has 6 DDR-3 slots to get 12 GB of memory loaded. I'm still running DDR-2 memory with a motherboard that only supports 8 GB, which is what I have.

Right now I have had QCharts running since 08:30 EDT, alternating between two workspaces. It has peaked out at about 155MB working set, which is close to the 152 MB that QCharts displays on the status bar in the lower right hand corner of the QCharts window.

What I find to be the biggest memory hog in my machine is the display window manager (dwm.exe). Right now its working set is at 230 MB. I suppose this might be related to the fact that I am running 4 20 inch LCD screens off of 2 nVidia graphics cards. I also have a service host task that is running 10 services and shows a working set of 150 MB.

Overall, I have no problems with Windows 7 performance, but it sure does suck down prodigous amounts of memory. I wonder how much of this memory is being used for the WOW (Windows on Windows) layer that runs 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment.

Wouldn't it be way cool of the QCharts folks rewrote QCharts to be a Java application so we could be platform independent? I bet a 64 bit Java version of QCharts would really zip along on a Linux workstation.

Comment

Ok, I see what you are doing now, and yes I am seeing the same thing. I opened up my workspace, then did a window --> close all, and then minimized QCharts, my memory usage is currently about 160 MB for QCharts.

I am loving Windows 7. I was able to get in on the pre-order and picked up 3 copies at 50% off.

I have tried several times to use linux as my desktop but windows has spoiled me with the GUI features. I love Unix & linux for server applications, but its just not mature enough for me to love it as a desktop box. Maybe I am just not hardcore enough ::sigh::

Comment

Working...
            X