NETL isn't showing split marker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETL isn't showing split marker

NETL is not showing the 2:1 split marker on any of my charts. The price has been adjusted correctly, but the arrow showing the split date isn't there.

Re: NETL isn't showing split marker

Hey Matt,

There's a bug in QCharts whereby the split-note for the chart isn't adjusted to the actual day when the symbol starts trading at the new price. The split note is applied to the date of the split statement in the splits file CorpActs. Problem is that CorpActs is one strange sucker. It contains the date of the day "before" the symbol starts trading at the new price. Hence the split notes are offset one day from what they should be. The actual price-adjustment of the bars is made OK, i.e. the actual day of trading at the new price.

NETL started trading price-adjusted Monday March 22. The goofy CorpActs file has the split dated Sunday March 21, 2010. And yep, QCharts wants to put the split-note on Sunday. And of course, no Daily bars on Sunday. No bars, no note.

And don't get me going on the ratio notation. A 2/1 split is coded 1/2 in the file. Go figure. But this is adjusted when displaying the note on the chart. The note winds up 2/1.

In summary...there's a bug in QCharts. Monday splits won't have a split note in the chart.

---------------------------------
    [Edit addition]
    A quirky side effect is that a split note will show for dates in the CorpActs file that are Sunday in a Weekly chart, since the Weekly bar starts at the Sunday date.

Also, if the split date in CorpActs is a holiday, there will be no split note.
    For example CNQ has a split date of 20100531 (Monday) in CorpActs.
    It started trading price adjusted the next day 20100601 (Tuesday).
    But 20100531 has no Daily bar since it's Memorial Day holiday.

Also, if the symbol is thinly traded and there is no Daily bar for the split date,
    there will be no split note in the chart.
    ----------------------------------

LAM
    Originally posted by jmhuff-2
    NETL is not showing the 2:1 split marker on any of my charts. The price has been adjusted correctly, but the arrow showing the split date isn't there.

Comment

Working...
    X