entitled bug still...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entitled bug still...

Am I the only one who still sees this problem? It's really easy to duplicate... reboot PC... start QCharts... it takes about 40 seconds for the entitled/Pwd/DM bars to go green, and up until that time QC is pretty much useless. Can then shutdown and restart QCharts all you want with no problems as long as computer isn't shut down. Pretty annoying and 100% reproducible (for me anyway.)

lugz

I've got full Wireshark network captures, both with the entitled problem and without, if you guys are interested.

Bueller?

lugz

Comment

I checked with the QCharts support representatives and this doesn't appear to be a known issue.

I booted my own machine this morning and on the initial attempt it took maybe 10 seconds for QCharts to display green entitlements for me after submitting my login information. I waited until after my email program had finished loading before trying.

I just tested it a couple times now without rebooting, and it took about 8-10 seconds as well.

Perhaps other processes are running after the reboot like antivirus etc that are slowing down your initial login after rebooting?

Comment

So the "entitled" bug from yesteryear got fixed, but for some reason the fix never worked for me? QCharts hasn't always behaved like this for me... just the last year or so, +-.

No, nothing else is running or slowing down qcharts. You can see in the wireshark network captures that the two handshakes between my PC and the eSignal network are completely different. If there was something else running that slowed down the qcharts process, you'd expect the network packets to be the same for both cases. I can boot the pc, wait an hour before logging in, then wait another hour before starting qcharts ... and STILL see this problem. In all cases, the network, CPU and disk are idle or nearly idle.

lugz

Comment

The last significant QCharts entitlement bug (started 10/14/09) where clients were unable to get "entitled" was resolved with QCharts 6.1.1757 (released 11/4/09) as well as via a DM upgrade that was finally completed 12/1/09 (for older QCharts versions to connect).

The issue you're experiencing where the initial login after a reboot taking a noticeably longer time to connect isn't a known complaint we've heard and I apologize that it's taking this long.

Presently there aren't any plans to increase the speed of which QCharts authenticates. The next major release, QCharts 7, isn't likely to be released until early next year and will be built on a different foundation from the current QCharts.

I'm not familiar with Wireshark network captures.

Comment

Here's my posts (not including this thread) on the entitled problem I've seen SINCE 1757 has been released:
            http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...threadid=32528
            http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...753#post130753
            http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...665#post130665
            ...but I can see how they could have been missed.

Wireshark is a great tool for pinpointing problems with programs that send or receive data across a network. In the old days we had to pay a lot of money for network analyzers that weren't even half as good, but Wireshark is 100% free.

lugz

Comment

lugnutz,

Please send me a PM with your contact information and QCharts UserName and we can have a support rep contact you.

Comment

.... still having the 40 second entitled problem in 6.2.1.2142 ..........

Comment

lugnutz,

Outside of this thread, this isn't an issue we've really had reports on since Dec '09.

I'm not aware of further releases for the 6.x version of QCharts and future releases that do occur will likely be emergency rollouts to accomodate things like feed changes.

The next major release will be QCharts 7, which will be built on a new platform and QCharts 6.x application bugs are not likely to be carried over. I just checked with project management and unfortunately I don't have a current ETA for QCharts 7.

Comment

Lugz isn't the only person that's had this happen in the last year. I had it happen on two different machines over the summer, running the latest (at the time) available version of QCharts... I just didn't report it, I get annoyed, reboot the computer, or whatever I do to make it reconnect.

So this is not limited to one user/system...

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_ToddI
                      lugnutz,

Outside of this thread, this isn't an issue we've really had reports on since Dec '09.

I'm not aware of further releases for the 6.x version of QCharts and future releases that do occur will likely be emergency rollouts to accomodate things like feed changes.

The next major release will be QCharts 7, which will be built on a new platform and QCharts 6.x application bugs are not likely to be carried over. I just checked with project management and unfortunately I don't have a current ETA for QCharts 7.
                      Do you need a new thread every time a user reports a problem to make it seem more legitimate, then?

I have had this happen multiple times since Dec 09. Most recently was October 14 and 22. These were posted to this board but the latter one (22 Oct) was attributed to a DNS problem.

Regardless of the reason that causes the problem, the entitlement bug still exists and eSignal support might want to search the forum a little closer before attempting to discredit users who are having problems simply because there are not enough users reporting it. How many reports do you need to consider a problem significant enough to fix? Just curious.

And since you mentioned QCharts 7, I would like to know what features will be removed from QCharts when version 7 rolls out. And please don't expect me to believe that you are not removing features; that just isn't the way eSignal operates. I am still waiting for the ability to view options charts intraday.

Comment

I apologize.

My previous reply wasn't meant to be discredit lugnutz, it's just that our support team rarely gets these types of reports, and not something we've replicated in-house on our DSL connections.

I had forgotten about the DNS issue mentioned by tradertom as that affected all products and wasn't application specific and I failed to associate it with this issue.

As far as I know improving the time it takes for the application to entitle isn't something being worked on, and I'm not aware of any future releases for QCharts 6.x (outside of the current 6.2.1 which primarily relates to accessing Breadthalyzer symbols generated on the eSignal network, as opposed to the legacy QCharts servers).

I really can't answer questions on QCharts 7 as I simply don't have specifics at this time. Unfortunately I don't know when or if intraday options charts may return or how feasible it is to deliver.

Comment

No offense taken on my part, Todd. I just wanted to make sure you guys understood that I (and apparently others) still see some of the old problems.

And just to be clear; I do not believe this is a performance problem as the computer and network are idle when it occurs. It's likely a logic problem - a flaw in the handshaking of the server and client state machines that requires a timeout before finally continuing. I've sent you guys network captures (both good and bad) that should be all you need to pinpoint the issue, but I never heard a peep back from the Level 3 tech who contacted me on this. In the mean time, I'll keep reminding you that I still see the problem.

lugz

Comment

Working...
                          X