Quote sheets changing to wrong symbols a chronic problem still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote sheets changing to wrong symbols a chronic problem still

Qcharts is such a wonderful program with so many features I depend upon. It is so frustrating for my quote sheets to constantly change the symbols, for example, from a BIDU call to an FCX call, right there in the same quote sheet with my BIDU symbols. And there's no changing it back without jumping through hoops. Today lots of my quote sheets are messed up like that after shutting down and bringing Qcharts back up. Frustrating. I've heard this is being worked on and I will be one extremely happy Qcharts user when the problem is resolved. Thank you.

I thought that I was the only one that this happens to!!!! I agree, extrememly frustating!!!!

Comment

Just in case someone forgot, this is still a significant problem that continues to be very frustrating. It happens almost everyday. Like today, I type DX A0 into the quote sheet and it immediately changes to CNQ. Jay, can you give us an update when this problem will be fixed? Thanks!

Comment

From my understanding there aren't plans for another QCharts 6.x Maintenance release. The QCharts 7 and eSignal 11 series are being created off a new platform that doesn't experience the symbol bleeding problem.

QCharts 7 is still aways away though, and the closest approximation I've received is sometime in the 2nd half of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by hfisher1
          Just in case someone forgot, this is still a significant problem that continues to be very frustrating. It happens almost everyday. Like today, I type DX A0 into the quote sheet and it immediately changes to CNQ. Jay, can you give us an update when this problem will be fixed? Thanks!
          I confirm your observation and also add that the frequency of erroneous replacement is rising.

You said that it has been occurring for a long time. With me, it started about a month after the release of 2143 although it was fairly rare then. In recent weeks I've noticed a notable acceleration in frequency.

I believe this is happening at the source, so it's pretty much out of the control of eSignal, et al. As far as I know eSignal receives the raw consolidated tape from the computers of its vendor who distributes a tape that should be a direct pass through of the exchange's raw consolidated tape. This problem may be arising at the pass through point.

There's a further possibility. Since last October's Flash Crash report there's been notable changes in the way information is generated at the exchange level including the beginning of checks on HFT which have the result of disturbing the way existing systems distribute trade information. SEC and CFTC have been moving towards eliminating the generation of stub quotes. This could cause a side effect that gets transmitted down the consolidations until some interpreter which still has a previous symbol in its stream buffer to impart the old symbol to a eed update without having garbage cleaned the new buffer location. These are represented as persistent objects in code, so it takes some kind of non-automated override to change them for the most part.

Comment

Symbol bleed

I have discovered that when I have a symbol bleed that refuses to be corrected, I can sometimes log out of QCharts, wait a few minutes, log back in, and then find that the incorrect symbols can now be corrected. Does this suggest that the origin of the problem is the server rather than my computer?

Comment

Re: Symbol bleed

Originally posted by hfisher1
              Does this suggest that the origin of the problem is the server rather than my computer?
              Try saving the elements in your workspace, closing the workspace, deleting the workspace, and then rebuild using your saved elements in a new workspace. Then you would not have closed the program. If that solves the problem, it might have eliminated the server as the source.

It is true though that if the problem recurs, you still don't know where the problem lies, and maybe it lies in both.

Comment

I have been experiencing this problem the last few days.
                The workaround for me has been to exit the workspace
                without saving it. When it is brought back up, the bad
                symbols have usually reverted to the correct ones.

The particular error, in my case, seems to be the
                replacement of the (same) symbol at the top of two quote sheets with the currently active symbol, leaving the
                other quote sheet info (like the price) unchanged.

Definitely a bad bug that deserves a maintenance release,
                as I agree it has been around for a long time.

Comment

symbol bleeding

My experience is simular to finpress2000. I avoid changing my workspaces if at all possible. I also get around the symbol bleeding by creating a lot of workspaces with fewer symbols. I create a "master workspace" which I never change and can refer back to or use to copy the quote sheet from. The "Hotkeys" work well for this.

I have also noticed another issue, I have symbols switching places with each other. I like to create quote sheets with columns showing Sectors and Industries. I am having my symbols within each Industry group jump around and switch places. I have found it almost impossible to use the space bar to go down the list of symbols in order to view the charts.

Comment

Working...
                  X