QCharts Freezing Constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCharts Freezing Constantly

So far, since the market opened 30 minutes ago, I have had to close QCharts 6.2.1.2142 now 7 times using "This Program is Not Responding" dialog. I am running the same workspace and hardware setup I have run for years with the same applications. QLink continues to run just fine. If not for it, I'd have missed a trade this morning. So why does QCharts freeze up? Hard to believe it is the data, because QLink keeps working even when QCharts freezes. It usually freezes at the open for a few seconds, but kicks in and works (at least for me) but not this morning... it never kicked in. Menu bar goes white and hourglass cursor appears after prices stop updating.

Will this ever be fixed?

Does this freezing happen even if you launch the program with a blank workspace?

If so, maybe you may want to perform a clean install?
    If not maybe there is something about your workspace (old lines, many studies, many charts/windows) that is contributing to the problems you're experiencing.

For this type issue you should contact technical support:

Phone Support

Phone: 510.264.1700
    Fax: 510.266.6060
    Press "1" for Customer Service
    Press "2" for Tech Support

Phone Support Hours:
    5:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. PT, Monday - Friday

Comment

Thanks Todd. I have not changed my software profile on this computer in months. I have not changed my workspace either, except for drawing a few lines. (How am I to assess the impact of "old lines" on whether QCharts freezes? What do you mean "old lines" anyway?) My workspace has had the same structure for years as far as the number of charts, studies, quote sheets, etc. QCharts has been running pretty well until this morning. QCharts froze this morning no matter how or when it opened. I even rebooted the computer. QLink works well however.

It sounds like this is just my problem meaning no one else has ever reported it and if I want resolution, I need to work with tech support (ugh.)

At this moment, QCharts is running. I changed nothing. Whether QCharts runs or not just seems to be a more random event than running any other software on my computer.

Comment

You can save your workspace as another name (thus creating another copy of it) and then try removing windows/studies/lines etc to see if the performance gets better.

If you right click on a chart window you can go to the line list, which will have lines organized by their anchor points (date-time/price). You may test to see if removing some of the older historical lines that you drew in previous months/years to see if that helps performance.

Comment

I see similar behavior with QCharts when the symbol that is being actively charted experiences volatile movements. The greater the volatility the longer the freezes.

I also am using the same workspace that I have for the last 2 or 3 years and I did not begin to see this behavior until within the last 6 months or so. I have experimented with reducing the workspace in the morning before market hours so that I am only including a half dozen or so symbols and this provides some relief but not a clear solution. The freezes still occur, they just don't seem to be as severe.

Market openings, economic reports and especially Fed days are interesting to say the least.

I also have several brokerage charting tools installed on my main workstation as well as on my back up desktop and laptops and have not seen anything like this with those applications. Qcharts freezes don't seem to care which machine is being used. If the symbol being charted is experiencing high volatility, there seems to be a problem charting that and the white screen is displayed until QCharts catches up.

By the way, for what it's worth, I did call tech support once to try and work with someone on this and the reception I got was less than understanding when the issue could not be easily duplicated at the moment that I called. Apparently QCharts users are considered a lower form of life than ESignal users. It was commented to me that QCharts users are a bunch of unhappy complainers.

Best regards

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X