Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the EMA indicator using QLink data

Dear experts

I have searched the forum to see if I can build the EMA in an excel spreadsheet that ties into the Esignal charts EMA but cannot find it. I am using QLink to down load the OHLC values into Excel and want to calculate the 50, 100 and 200 period EMA's

I know that the formula for today's EMA
    = yesterday's EMA x (100 - N%) + today's price x N%

To calculate the value of N:
    N = 2 / ( P + 1 )
    where P = the number of periods for the EMA.

I also tried putting in the SMA to the starting point of the calculation for the EMA.

Does anyone know how to do this please?

All help greatfully received. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Fibbo
    Kind regards

FibboRules

Re: Building the EMA indicator using QLink data

Fibbo
    The equation for the ema in eSignal is the following
    Today's EMA = (((Today's Price - Yesterday's EMA) * N) + Yesterday's EMA
    where N = 2 / ( P + 1 )
    This assumes that you have primed Yesterday's EMA by calculating a simple moving average for the initial period.
    Alex

Originally posted by FibboRules
    Dear experts

I have searched the forum to see if I can build the EMA in an excel spreadsheet that ties into the Esignal charts EMA but cannot find it. I am using QLink to down load the OHLC values into Excel and want to calculate the 50, 100 and 200 period EMA's

I know that the formula for today's EMA
    = yesterday's EMA x (100 - N%) + today's price x N%

To calculate the value of N:
    N = 2 / ( P + 1 )
    where P = the number of periods for the EMA.

I also tried putting in the SMA to the starting point of the calculation for the EMA.

Does anyone know how to do this please?

All help greatfully received. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Fibbo

Comment

Hi Alex

Thank you for this - I really appreciate your help.

The formula you have provided and the one i quoted give the same answer.

The problem I'm having is the SMA for the initial period (and therefore the value of yesterday's EMA). For the 200 period EMA do I use the SMA for periods 201-400 as the start of my calculation? I have tried this but cannot get the figures to tie into Esignal's calculation.

Do you have any insight into how I can get the same answer as Esignal?

I've attached the excel file for reference for USDJPY (esignal shows 107.69 as the 200day EMA on 8/8/8 but the calculation shows 108.10)

Thank you again for your help.
      Attached Files
      Kind regards

FibboRules

Comment

Fibbo
        As far as I can see both equations are returning the same values as eSignal's exponential average.
        In the screenshot enclosed below (Excel sheet is attached) I am downloading 600 bars in QLink and in the Advanced Chart and as you can see the values in the Excel sheet match those in the eSignal chart. Make sure you are requesting the same amount of bars in the Advanced Chart and QLink and that you start your calculations on the same bar
        Alex

Hi Alex

Thank you for this - I really appreciate your help.

The formula you have provided and the one i quoted give the same answer.

The problem I'm having is the SMA for the initial period (and therefore the value of yesterday's EMA). For the 200 period EMA do I use the SMA for periods 201-400 as the start of my calculation? I have tried this but cannot get the figures to tie into Esignal's calculation.

Do you have any insight into how I can get the same answer as Esignal?

I've attached the excel file for reference for USDJPY (esignal shows 107.69 as the 200day EMA on 8/8/8 but the calculation shows 108.10)

Thank you again for your help.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Alex

You are a genius.

Thank you so much for taking the time and looking at this - simple thing like ensuring downloading the same number of data in qlink as that on the Aget chart does the trick.

This will help me no end!

Thank you.
          Kind regards

FibboRules

Comment

Fibbo
            You are most welcome and I am glad to hear I was of help
            Alex

Hi Alex

You are a genius.

Thank you so much for taking the time and looking at this - simple thing like ensuring downloading the same number of data in qlink as that on the Aget chart does the trick.

This will help me no end!

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X