Wireless data speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless data speeds

The cellular wireless data industry is notorious for hyping the theoretical data rates, rather than the typical data speeds, you won’t get the theoretically maximum speeds. Here are the typical data speeds of wireless data:

Nextel currently has a wireless data service which gives users an average speed of 15 kilobits per second (kbps).
    Nextel recently announced plans to upgrade its data network to support speeds over 70 kbps by the end of 2004. The upgrade will use Motorola's WiDEN technology, an upgrade for iDEN networks that quadruples data rates.

AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile use GSM technology and currently use GSM/GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) for wireless Internet services, which transmits data at speeds from 40 kbps to 60 kbps.
    AT&T Wireless announced the nationwide deployment of EDGE as an upgrade to its GSM/GPRS system, Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution, or EDGE. A user can transmit data at speeds between 100 and 130 kbps.

Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless have deployed a technology from Qualcomm called CDMA20001xrtt, which usually operates at about 60kbps to 70kbps.
    Verizon Wireless has targeted Washington and San Diego as the first two cities to roll out high-speed wireless service called 1xEV-DO with data speeds of 300kbps - 500kbps. 1xEV-DO devices are required to receive this service.

WiFi (aka Hot Spots) 802.11b typically provides real speeds of at least 500 kbps, and often much faster.

JohnB

given that i am interested in a smartphone (others too large!), basically i am limited to verizon, att, and sprint (samsung i600, samsung i500, Motorola MPx200). so from these numbers, i should go with verizon's technology as soon as esignal releases the software for it, as it is the fastest right now? i think i'd prefer windows' os over palm's. of course we can't know when that release will be. i'm dying to use quotrek but there's no good solutions right now for a small phone.

but the motorola mpx200 is not edge enabled, which makes things even more confusing.

Comment

Motorola MPx200 with AT&T Wireless service vs. Samsung SCH-i600 with Verizon Wireless service, that's a tough call. Both are good smartphones. We have both and should be releasing the beta QuoTrek for these smartphones very soon, maybe by the end of the week. I'd give the edge to the Motorola MPx200 just because as a phone it has a sleeker design. On the speed side, at least in our location you really couldn't see a difference between the AT&T and Verizon networks.

Try this link, they gave the MPx200 4 stars and the i600 3.5 starts (out of five)

John B

http://www.techworthy.com/Laptop/Tes...004.htm?Page=2

Samsung SCH-i600
      Rating: 3.5 stars (out of five)
      Price: $499 (with a two-year contract)
      PROS
      • Solid network coverage
      • Very bright display
      • Extra-capacity battery included
      CONS
      • Boxy design
      • Much more expensive