wireless phone subscriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless phone subscriptions

I'm interested in getting quotrek for either the i500 with sprint or the i600 with verizon. i can't tell, however, what services to subscribe for. there are a billion options. verizon has nationalaccess, pda/smartphone, vzemail... the list goes on. what EXACTLY do i need to run quotrek using sprint and verizon?

Hi clkndgr,

You might want to check out the QuoTrek Download Page for compatible hardware. BTW, I did see that the i600 is compatible, but is still listed under the Beta category. Thanks.

Comment

The Samsung i500 from Sprint and the Samsung i600 from Verizon are two great Smartphones. It really depends on what you like Palm or Windows Mobile.

The Samsung i500 from Sprint is a Palm Smartphone. Call SprintPCS at (888) 253-1315 and ask for the unlimited PCS Vision Professional Pack that will be $15/month for unlimited data (a.k.a. PCS Vision), you will also have to have a phone plan.

The Samsung i600 from Verizon is a Windows Mobile Smartphone. Call Verizon Wireless at (800) 256-4646 and ask for the unlimited Wireless Sync plan with Express Net for $49.99/month and if you get a phone plan the unlimited Wireless Sync plan with Express Net is only $44.99/month.

You will need to get a QuoTrek subscription too. Both the i500 & i600 are in beta testing and should be released officially in about a week.

Click here to download QuoTrek.

JohnB

Comment

wireless guru

wg, Could you comment on the relative performance of Quotrek on PalmOs vs Pocket PC, I would like to see which platform could be better,

thx
        Last edited by bigbrother; 03-25-2004, 10:52 PM.

Comment

wg, thanks much for the info. exactly what i was looking for.

Comment

If you had to choose between Palm OS & Pocket PC for QuoTrek on relative performance, I'd go with Pocket PC.

The Tungsten W, runs Palm OS 4.1.1 and has a Dragonball processor running at 33 MHz and QuoTrek runs real slow on the W. Only the Tungsten C with the 400 MHz ARM processor and Palm OS 5.2.1 will come close to most Pocket PCs and there is a long list of Pocket PCs with the 400 MHz ARM processor.

IMO feature for feature, the Pocket PC allows you to do more than the Palm does.

JohnB

Comment

wg,
              thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

Best regards!

Comment

Data size?

Hi
                Most, if not all of the services in the UK charge by the amount of data downloaded. Does any one know how much data in Mb this service pumps out. A) just quotes. B quotes and Charts? Thanks
                Orange might do an unlimited contract. Any one using a good phone and contract combo that also works with PATS Jtrader?

Gary
                Buy the dips sell the rallies

Comment

Gary,

I was looking at my usage today and here's what I found.

In a one hour time frame, 15 symbols in my portfolio, active symbols like $INDU, QQQ, ES H4, LU, MSFT etc... I used 68 kb on my BlackBerry 7210 with AT&T service.

I did the same for a chart using QQQ with a one minute interval, I used 75kb in one hour.

You can't have a chart open and your portfolio open at the same time so your usage is only for what screen you are using.

I hope that answers your question.

JohnB

Comment

wg,
                    if I understand correctly, even if Quotrek support up to 10 portfolio, only the active folio will required the stream data, is it right?

Also, does Quotrek have alert on stock price?

BTW, what is your appreciation for the RIM Blackberry in comparison with Pocket PC or Palm?

Comment

Correct, only the active portfolio will have the streaming data. Currently the QuoTrek Companion Streamer on your PC supports 10 portfolio's and QuoTrek handheld has 2 portfolio's. No alerts for QuoTrek at this time, that is something that will be added in the future.

If I had to choose between RIM BlackBerry, Palm & Pocket PC for QuoTrek, I'd go with Pocket PC. IMO feature for feature, the Pocket PC allows you to do more than the Palm or BlackBerry. If I was looking to use it for email only then I'd go with the BlackBerry.

JohnB

Comment

Working...
                      X