Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOTS Weekly Options Commentary

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Say hello to volatility! After months and even years of low intraday ranges, we are finally experiencing wild swings in major equity averages. The VIX (volatility index) is trading above 16, which market participants for many years considered an extremely low level but have now come to view as extremely overbought. I mentioned in the last HOTS Update that the persistent selling pressure is considerably different than prior sell-offs over the last 3 years. This makes me wonder if the market is trying to price in something that the financial media have not yet talked about yet. We are all aware of the concerns facing the market, such as inflationary pressures, rising short-term interest rates, potential consumer difficulties, over-priced real estate, fiscal deficits and high energy costs. None of these is a new development. So what, then, is new? Answer: Political problems! 99% of the time, it is a poor idea to base trading decisions on political developments. However, with several top members of the governing party of the most powerful global economic power under investigation and the probabilities increasing for major indictments, it is beginning to concern the investment community. I am not here to express my political view. Further, I am aware that half of our readers think that what is happening is an attempt of an opposing party to regain control, while the other half thinks that the White House will finally get what it deserves. The point is that these investigations might escalate in the near future and the market, which appears very uncomfortable with this new uncertainty, is reflecting it in the tape’s price action.

Market action over the last week looks like a corrective volatile chop after an initial decline from the beginning of October. Buying pressure is almost non-existent, and the rally attempts we have experienced were mainly driven by short-covering. Despite the fact that several sentiment measures have approached levels associated with bottoms in 2004 and 2005, the market internals and price action are very different from the rally off those bottoms. Another important fact is the apparent complacency in the face of this price action, as the main dispute among traders over the last couple of days appears to be whether to buy now or buy 1% or 2% lower. Frankly, I do not hear the word “sell” which could be become a big problem. Short-term rallies will likely continue to be a part of this market, but based on my indicators, I believe that we are nowhere near an important bottom and we want to be on a short side of this market. The two trades today directly reflect these views.

Dennis Leontyev
    Options Strategist and Editor
    HamzeiAnalytics Options Trading Service (HOTS)
    Last edited by HamzeiAnalytics; 11-20-2005, 10:36 PM.
    Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
    Hamzei Analytics, LLC
    www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

Hamzei Analytics Financial Network
    www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Last weekend, I wrote that short-term rallies would be a part of this market, but I believed (based on my indicators) that the market was nowhere near an important bottom. Though I have little to add to last week’s comments, current market dynamics since last week’s comments only serve to bolster my belief, as evidenced by: 1) internal selling pressure increasing underneath the surface; 2) sharp “one-day wonder” rallies occurring on lesser volume; 3) a dearth of any leadership by important groups; and 4) a lot of “hoping and praying” for an end-of-the-year seasonal rally. That said, the bulls do have one thing working for them this week: the next two days are historically very bullish. However, if I were a bull, I would be very concerned that statistics and seasonality are the bullish arguments this year. On top of these arguments, the bullish argument adds a great and healthy economy to its case -- but what have we gotten? Down 2% so far this year. What is wrong with this picture? Actually, there are too many things wrong, but the most important wrong thing will likely show up a few months from now because the market likes to look forward -- and in this case, it does not like the future.

There has been a lot of talk lately about sentiment analysis and its contrarian application. The main question is: Why doesn’t it work as well as it used to a few years ago? Here is the answer in a form of question: Do you know anybody who doesn’t claim to be a contrarian? It seems like over 90% of traders are contrarians. So who are they going against?

Technically the S&P 500 index has been stuck right below its 200-day moving average. I expect the next downswing to start in the middle of next week and test April lows at about 1140 sometime in November. This is my bullish scenario.

S&P 500 daily:

Dennis Leontyev
    Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
    Hamzei Analytics, LLC
    www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

To all HOTS Subscribers:

In light of recent views in the last HOTS updates, the market surprised me by rallying last week. Although it remains my belief that the current advance is purely a seasonal phenomenon, it is not wise to stand in front of this moving freight train. That said, I view this rally as the last bullish stand before a serious decline occurs as: 1) there are fewer and fewer stocks making new highs on every rally attempt; 2) the strongest sectors over the last two weeks were Transports and Energy (what a combination!); and 3) overbought conditions together with significant resistance overhead might be too much to overcome.

On a short-term basis, I expect a consolidation with a downside bias with a possible test of the 1200 level, which will either prove to be a short-term buying opportunity or a breakdown point.

S&P 500 Weekly:

It will also be interesting to watch the bond market action over the next few days. I believe the FED is targeting the wrong problem. Despite the possibility of increasing inflationary pressures, our indicators point to the likely possibility that the economy is nearing a weak period, which has historically been a positive environment for Bonds. FED officials are running out of reasons to continue raising interest rates, and both technical and sentiment pictures suggest that a reversal in Bonds is rapidly approaching.

Dennis Leontyev
      Last edited by HamzeiAnalytics; 11-20-2005, 10:37 PM.
      Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
      Hamzei Analytics, LLC
      www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Seasonality has completely taken over as a main trading indicator of the stock market. Although it is difficult to argue with statistics, it is as difficult to rationalize the seasonal effect on paper assets. I believe it will be almost impossible for stock market bears to regain full control during the remaining weeks of this year simply because of the calendar. On a short-term basis, indexes may enter a consolidation period due to a number of overbought indicators and steadily diminishing participation in the rally. The following chart (courtesy of DecisionPoint.com) shows the percentage of NASDAQ stocks trading above their 200-day moving average. Despite the NASDAQ trading near 4-year highs, there are only 43% of stocks trading above their 200-day MA. Also, note that each new NASDAQ high is associated with fewer and fewer stocks participating.

There are a number of indicators for both the NASDAQ and NYSE that paint the same picture, a picture that is very similar to the end of 1999. Just like in 1999, it was not wise to short the market in November and December. I am not going to bet that we are within weeks of the beginning of a bear market (which would result in most indexes losing half or more of their value as was the case after the peak in 2000), but the similarity in many technical and monetary indicators is striking. We are in a bull market stage where the more you diversify, the more money you lose. To participate in the latest stages of this bull, the best bet is through positions in index ETFs simply because they are the last ones to reverse trend even as a majority of stocks have already entered into a bear trend.

During the coming week, I am expecting a choppy environment with any attempts at a decline ultimately absorbed by expiration-related buying.

Dennis Leontyev
        Last edited by HamzeiAnalytics; 11-20-2005, 10:37 PM.
        Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
        Hamzei Analytics, LLC
        www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Market indexes continue to march higher, while most stocks have already entered a bear market. Such a large divergence has occurred only seven times over the last 80 years. Following each occurrence, the S&P 500 Index eventually experienced a decline measuring at least 15% (with an average of 22%). After such a breadth divergence, it usually takes a few months for a final top to occur. Should this pattern repeat, a top of consequence would occur between now and February, though I doubt that S&P 500 will make the final top before year-end due to seasonality and upcoming bonuses. Short-term indicators suggest that there is some room on the upside. The resistance zone can be seen from 1253 to 1275 on S&P cash. I expect the advance to slow in the coming days, with best trading opportunities occurring after a one or two-day decline. The psychology of this market is rather simple: the opinions of institutional traders I know are split: half of them are bullish and therefore not selling, and the other half is bearish and not selling because they are waiting for January. I am with the second half. Currently, both NYSE and NASDAQ composites are trading at new highs, yet fewer than 50% of NYSE and NASDAQ stocks are trading above their 200-day moving averages. December 1999 was the most recent time this occurred, which was in the middle of much stronger economy and the FED raising interest rates. The bullish argument in comparing the end of 1999 and the end of 2005 is that in 1999 we had an Internet Bubble. Back then, however, it was not called a bubble – it was called the “New Economy.” The S&P 500 Index (without internet stocks in it) proceeded to decline 30% before September 11th. The big money is in the big moves. Keep this in mind as you position your portfolio for next year.

S&P 500 Monthly:

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Market indexes continue to march higher, while most stocks have already entered a bear market. Such a large divergence has occurred only seven times over the last 80 years. Following each occurrence, the S&P 500 Index eventually experienced a decline measuring at least 15% (with an average of 22%). After such a breadth divergence, it usually takes a few months for a final top to occur. Should this pattern repeat, a top of consequence would occur between now and February, though I doubt that S&P 500 will make the final top before year-end due to seasonality and upcoming bonuses. Short-term indicators suggest that there is some room on the upside. The resistance zone can be seen from 1253 to 1275 on S&P cash. I expect the advance to slow in the coming days, with best trading opportunities occurring after a one or two-day decline. The psychology of this market is rather simple: the opinions of institutional traders I know are split: half of them are bullish and therefore not selling, and the other half is bearish and not selling because they are waiting for January. I am with the second half. Currently, both NYSE and NASDAQ composites are trading at new highs, yet fewer than 50% of NYSE and NASDAQ stocks are trading above their 200-day moving averages. December 1999 was the most recent time this occurred, which was in the middle of much stronger economy and the FED raising interest rates. The bullish argument in comparing the end of 1999 and the end of 2005 is that in 1999 we had an Internet Bubble. Back then, however, it was not called a bubble – it was called the “New Economy.” The S&P 500 Index (without internet stocks in it) proceeded to decline 30% before September 11th. The big money is in the big moves. Keep this in mind as you position your portfolio for next year.

S&P 500 Monthly:

Dennis Leontyev
          Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
          Hamzei Analytics, LLC
          www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

HOTS Weekly Options Commentary (Issue #37)

To all HOTS Subscribers:

Recent impressive economic reports have confirmed the US equity market’s strength and provided necessary support for major stock averages. Seasonality continues to play an important role in the advance from October lows. Although some short-term overbought conditions may slow down the rally in the coming days, I believe that the most bearish scenario is going to be a trading range, where 1250 area on S&P 500 will act as support and 1280 as resistance. There is a decent chance that S&P can run up to 1300 before this year is over. I am still concerned about next year due to major long-term divergences and the selectivity of the rally, but the probability of making an important top in December is rather low. This environment is ideal for day traders and very short-term traders, where one should trade on a long side, buying temporary weakness. If the rally continues without a pullback, I would stay away from chasing it.

S&P 500 Weekly:

The trend line connecting the tops of 2004 and 2005 is at 1277 next week. I expect this level to be tested as a minimum before or after a pullback. There is not much resistance above this level from a technical perspective.

Dennis Leontyev
            Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
            Hamzei Analytics, LLC
            www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

To all HOTS Subscribers:

The market has entered into a consolidation mode over the last two weeks, which appears to be a logical pattern after an impressive November advance. Despite some longer-term concerns, there is very little evidence supporting a major top at these levels and at this time of the year. The Fed announcement this Tuesday, as well as expiration forces, will most likely produce a move out of the consolidation mode by the end of the week. Internals are supportive of at least one more advance to higher highs for this market, and this week could be the right time for this to happen. With respect to the S&P 500, 1250 (plus or minus a few points) remains an important support zone, while 1275 – 1280 should represent resistance. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is barely positive for the year, and my expectation is that institutions will attempt to push it higher (at least to 11,000) before year-end. I believe that even if the Fed language is not friendly for the market, a possible sell-off will be contained and will last no more than a few hours, whereas a friendly Fed may create an open invitation to celebrate Dow 11,000. Also keep an eye on the Midcap index, which continues to lead this market higher and shows no signs of reversing.

MDY (Mid Cap ETF) weekly:

Dennis Leontyev
              Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
              Hamzei Analytics, LLC
              www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

HOTS Weekly Options Commentary (Issue #39)

To all HOTS Subscribers:

As I mentioned numerous times over the last couple of months, the primary reason for market strength has been seasonality. Buying based on performance anxiety associated with year-end bonuses is a primary driver of rallies occurring in November and December. Markets go up and down on perception of the future, and when the most perceptible image for portfolio managers is that of a bonus, the strength usually ends with that bonus. Guess what? We are entering bonus time. Therefore, portfolio managers need to find a better justification in order to buy stocks.

Justification is not such an easy task given: 1) market internals have been deteriorating for weeks; 2) there is no true leadership; and 3) as I suspected, NASDAQ and small cap stocks are already lagging badly. The short-term picture remains mixed (once again due to seasonality), and churning back and forth into the end of the year would not surprise me at all. I expect any advance (if it occurs) to be narrow and led by the DOW because it is the most narrow of the major indexes. We are in a classical case of the last leg of a bull market where most stocks have already entered a bear market, while major indexes are desperately holding. It looks almost identical to December of 1999 in that respect.

On the following chart NYSE Composite with the number of NYSE stocks trading above their 200-day moving average (courtesy of decisionpoint.com), note that every new high in the index is accompanied by a diminishing number of stocks participating. Longer-term bulls need to convince me that this is healthy. In my book, this is as bad as I have ever witnessed.

NYSE Composite with number of stocks above 200-day MA:

Dennis Leontyev
                Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
                Hamzei Analytics, LLC
                www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment

To all HOTS Subscribers:

What a difference a week makes! All the longer-term market concerns, which I wrote about over the last two months, are finally beginning to become real and show up in market action. We got whipsawed by trying to concentrate on short-term moves. The problem is that it is extremely difficult to time the market, which is in a process of making an important top. Chances that the market has made an intermediate-term top (or as many call it a 4-year top) have dramatically increased. I have discussed longer-term bearish technical indicators in the past and there is no need to repeat them, but the fundamental picture, which was fuzzy last year, had turned drastically south. A combination of bearish technicals and a fundamental uncertainty makes a compelling case that the market is ready for a significant correction over the next three months or longer.

Disappointing earnings reports, inverted yield curve, rising oil prices, new FED chairman, and worsening geopolitical situation are too much for this market to handle at these levels. I am not going to concentrate on a short-term picture too much at this point. Friday’s sell off could mean a very short-term bottom or it could be a so-called initiation selling. Whether the market tries to rally to retest the highs or proceeds to go lower immediately is irrelevant from a big picture stand-point. A brake of 1275 last week on S&P 500 was a huge bearish development. Short-term support is at 1250 (+ or – a few points). A break of this level will probably cause a waterfall type of decline. Our analysis shows that this is a matter of when, not if this support will be broken.

S&P 500 daily:

Dennis Leontyev
                  Options Strategist & Editor,
                  HOTS
                  Good Trading to All,

Fari Hamzei
                  Hamzei Analytics, LLC
                  www.HamzeiAnalytics.com

www.HamzeiAnalytics.net

310-306-1200

Comment