Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metastock users: no intraday stock data tonight for American exchanges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metastock users: no intraday stock data tonight for American exchanges?

Ok, this is a weird one even for me.

Using Metastock, I cannot get historical *intraday* stock or futures data (except for the e-mini) from eSignal server tonight. I can get daily data though.

I do get intraday data when using eSignal 7.x charts however, just can't get it through Metastock, which is really odd.

I tried this on another computer, using the same account, and get the same results.

Can someone who uses Metastock please let me know if you are able to get intraday data (1 minute) for stocks like GM and IBM, or intraday futures like C H5 (mar 05 corn)??

I am able to get intraday data for Canadian stocks, however.

Thanks a bunch,
    boardman

boardman
    For what I can see Metastock intraday charts appear to be working at my end
    Alex

Comment

Thanks Alex. I'm still having a problem, maybe a reboot this afternoon will clear it up.

Very odd that Canadian stock exchanges work but not American.

Even stranger that the same problem exists on my other machine. Must be a problem with a particular server??

Can't figure this one out.

Comment

boardman
        Are you getting any messages such as "Security Data Unavailable" or just a blank chart?
        Alex

Comment

Yes, I get "Security Data Unavailable".

A reboot did not help, nor did deleting my DataOnDemand cache.

Comment

boardman
            Have you tried increasing the interval to for example 5 minutes or 15 minutes on the chart in which you get that message? Once you get the chart filled then go back to 1 minute interval
            It could be that Metastock may not be requesting enough historical data to go back beyond 12/24 on a 1 minute chart
            Alex

Comment

That's worked!

It's odd because I had tried changing the 1 minute interval chart to request data before the 23rd, but it did not work. (And still doesn't.)

I did what you suggested, changed to 5 minute, then back to 1 minute.... which then worked.

Thanks for helping me find a solution.

Out of curiosity, can you get 1 minute data on a symbol that is not in you DoD cache?? Just wondering if it's just on my end.

Thanks again Alex!

Comment

boardman
                You mean that the security is a Local File (ie one for which DoD is unavailable) or that it is the first time that I create a chart for it?
                Alex

Comment

No, not a local file. Just DataOnDemand charts don't load when requesting initially as 1 minute, even if request data is before the 23rd..

Don't worry about it, you've given me a a usuable solution!

Comment

I meant for you to request a DoD/online chart that is not in your cache.

If it is already in cache and had been loaded as an intraday chart of an interval greater than 1 minute, it would load (as you've shown me) if you now requested it as a 1 minute. Try it with a chart you have not loaded ever. or recently - in any interval - something that is not in cache.

Hope that's a little clearer.

I'll check back after awhile. Market is opening.

Comment

boardman
                      I actually got mixed results. With some securities I did get data while with others the chart returned the error message. Those that did return data had not been loaded previously in any interval so they were not in the DoD cache
                      Alex

Comment

Thanks again Alex. Ever since the market opened today, all intraday charts / intervals load properly. So life is back to normal. ''

boardman

Comment

boardman
                          I believe the reason of the error message is due to the number of bars/periods set to be loaded by default when a new chart is created.
                          Because there was no data for the 24th for US securities if you created a chart for shorter intervals the number of bars set by default were not enough to request data prior to the 24th.
                          Should this happen again click on Options->Load Options in the New dialog box then increase the values accordingly (see images below)
                          Hope this helps
                          Alex

Comment

Working...
                          X