system slowing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system slowing down

i have the following problem: CPU constantly running between 50 and 100%.

only when i open emini march contract; no problem when i open other items.

what i already tried:
    scanning with adaware and spybot: no viruses
    cold start from PC: no effect
    deleted the item and reinstalled it: no effect
    did the same but closed TS2000 completely before reinstalling: no effect

I think this one item is corrupt in my database. can i reindex the database or do i have to reinstall TR2000 completely?

Who can help me?

spike500
    You can reindex the database. See this message for the instructions on how to do it.
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
      spike500
      You can reindex the database. See this message for the instructions on how to do it.
      Alex
      Thanks Alexis,

you're an angel!

Comment

Originally posted by spike500
        Thanks Alexis,

you're an angel!
        Alexis,

what can be going wrong?

I tried to reindex as you told: no effect.

I uninstalled TS2000 completely and reinstalled it after a cold start and a defragmentation of the harddisk: no result

If i open the Global server everything is OK; CPU runs at maximum 10%. When i open the charts CPU runs at 50-100%.

I did all this on a second PC and had the same problems.

The configuration of the charts and the settings haven't been changed since at least three years.
        The only item in the Global Server is the last contract of the Eminis S&P, so that cannot cause any problems.

Comment

spike500
          The only thing I can think of is what is described in the document TS2k - High CPU usage with mini futures.mht which you can find here.
          My experience has been that the solution suggested by Omega is not as effective (besides creating other problems) as setting up all the electronically traded futures as Index or Stock. If you want to give that a try see the document Setting up ES as Stock or Index.mht which is available at the same link above.
          Lastly you may also want to consider defragmenting GlobalServers's database. To do that see the TS2k - Reducing data file size.mht also available at the same link. The procedure is worthwhile even if you are not in need of actually reducing the size of the database.
          Hope this helps
          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by spike500
            Thanks Alexis,

you're an angel!
            Reinstalled for the third time Esignal 7.7 and TS2000i.
            The same problems as before.
            Each quote the charts are recalculated. But what is strange is the fact that the recalculations take much more time than a few days ago.
            I think that TS2000 uses the database from Esignal. Have there been changes in the database?

My PC has a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 processor and runs constantly between 50 and 100%. That's not normal.
            It has something to do with the datafeed because each time data comes in the processor jumps to 100%.
            If i scroll through my charts they jump back to the last bar each time a quote comes in, this was not the case before.

I also checked my processor to be sure that he functions normal. The results are similar to what you may expect from a normal 2.4Ghz pentium 4.

Comment

spike500
              The only thing I can think of is what is described in the document TS2k - High CPU usage with mini futures.mht which you can find here.
              My experience has been that the solution suggested by Omega is not as effective (besides creating other problems) as setting up all the electronically traded futures as Index or Stock. If you want to give that a try see the document Setting up ES as Stock or Index.mht which is available at the same link above.
              Lastly you may also want to consider defragmenting GlobalServers's database. To do that see the TS2k - Reducing data file size.mht also available at the same link. The procedure is worthwhile even if you are not in need of actually reducing the size of the database.
              Hope this helps
              Alex
              I don't understand why it worked without any problem at all for more than 9 years.

Comment

spike500
                Have you always been running the emini S&P or were you running the full size contract?
                FWIW I have not noticed any recent changes in the performance of TS2k/GlobalServer
                Alex

Comment

Alexis,

defragmenting is useless as i reinstalled from scratch.

the last contract of the Eminis is never larger than 3 months of data. I even cancelled tickdata to reduce the size.

I will try setting eminis up as a stock or an index.

Comment

Hello,

I have not really been following these posts so i don't know whether you are a newbie to TS2Ki or not...
                    .. but in the event that you are, you may want to make sure that your TS2K indicators have "Update every tick" is unchecked.

If you have been using TS2k in realtime mode before, than disregard this post.

good luck

Comment

spike500
                      Have you always been running the emini S&P or were you running the full size contract?
                      FWIW I have not noticed any recent changes in the performance of TS2k/GlobalServer
                      Alex
                      Alexis,

for 9 years i use the same setup: only the last contract is used.
                      Actually it is the march 2005 contract. There is no other data coming in, so that cannot be the problem.

Apparently i am not the only one with this problem.
                      The software is still the same and cannot be the cause because i instal from my own original CD. The only factor that can change is the datafeed.

Comment

Alexis,

problem has been solved.
                        I used your link to: high CPU usage with mini futures.

I only replaced the value 39 by 5 and restarted my system.
                        Everything is running as in the good old days: CPU stays under 10%.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have the same problem

I have been having a similar problem as Spike. I am running an Athlon 2200+ with over 1 gig of RAM. I have several S&P e-mini contracts in the Global Server collecting data. My CPU usage bounces around under 50% but spikes up periodically about every 20-30 seconds to near 100%

I have tried all the fixes that Alexis listed. Unlike Spike my system is unchanged. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

joe55
                            Out of curiosity which fix did you try?
                            Omega's suggested change of value or setting up the emini contracts as Indexes (or Stocks) instead of Futures? If the latter when you connected GlobalServer did you also make sure that the eminis set up as Futures were Disconnected?
                            Alex

Comment

I tried the change of value in the ExchMan.txt file. Didn't do anything. Then I tried the registry fix. No change. I really don't want to setup my e-minis as stocks plus I believe you said you it wasn't that effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X