IB and adding Futures Symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IB and adding Futures Symbols

I have just installed QuoteTrader, using IB as it's data feed (I am not a subscriber to regular eSignal data).

I am able to enter symbols like MSFT, QQQQ, etc. and get data with no problems. My question is how do I add Future Symbols into QuoteTrader? In particular I need ES, NQ, YM, and DAX.

I have NOT installed what some have referred to in other threads about the IB Plugin, and didn't think that was necessary.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: IB and adding Futures Symbols

Originally posted by specialsof
    I have just installed QuoteTrader, using IB as it's data feed (I am not a subscriber to regular eSignal data).

I am able to enter symbols like MSFT, QQQQ, etc. and get data with no problems. My question is how do I add Future Symbols into QuoteTrader? In particular I need ES, NQ, YM, and DAX.

I have NOT installed what some have referred to in other threads about the IB Plugin, and didn't think that was necessary.

Any help is appreciated.
    Hi specialsof,

I not familiar with Quotetrader but in general because brokers such as IB and eSignal have different symbol format some mechanism is needed to translate symbols between QT/eSignal and the broker.

QT maintains a symbol "dictionary" which is a table in xml format that accomplishes this translation. There may be another solution for you but the only way I'm aware of doing this is via the IB Plugin.

The Plugin is a simple install, takes less then a minute and can easily be removed. You may want to try installing it and then use the symbol directionary application which is available after you click the Trade-Interactive Brokers-Broker Login option.

The Symbol Dictionary option is available in the IB Broker window which is where you add those symbols.

As I recall Nasdaq prices data must be explicitly subscribed to as there is a monthly fee and Disclosure Agreements to be signed (electronically). See is you can retrieve those prices from within TWS first, if not use TWS Account Management to do so.

Hope this helps,

Glen
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Comment

Re: IB and adding Futures Symbols

Originally posted by specialsof

Any help is appreciated.
      Hi specialsof,

Thanks for your post.
      To get quotes, charts, place trades, etc., on ES, NQ, YM and DAX, follow similar steps to those for MSFT, QQQQ, etc., but with a couple of changes (see image):

1. Enter the root, security type and (if you know it) the exchange, then click "Lookup".

2. Select the contacts with the month, currency, etc., you want to trade.

3. Click OK
      Attached Files
      Last edited by eSignal_Brent; 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: IB and adding Futures Symbols

Originally posted by eSignal_Brent
        Hi specialsof,

Thanks for your post.
        To get quotes, charts, place trades, etc., on ES, NQ, YM and DAX, follow similar steps to those for MSFT, QQQQ, etc., but with a couple of changes (see image):

1. Enter the root, security type and (if you know it) the exchange, then click "Lookup".

3. Click OK
        Hi Brent,

Thanks for the quick supply, but I have question:

I don't see the Contract Lookup dialog you used as an example in QuoteTrader. Can you tell me where that is please.

Remember, I only have QuoteTrader installed and no IB plugins or anthing.

I normally just right click in a quote window and it allows me to just add like MSFT, etc. I don't see a lookup button anywhere, etc.

To clarify, at this point I have QuoteTrader working so that I can bring up stock charts and have stock symbols appear in the quote sheets, and that is what I meant by being able to enter symbols.

Thanks for the help....

Mel

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_Brent
          Hi specialsof,

Thanks for your post.

3. Click OK
          Hi Brent,

Success! I couldn't figure it out at first as I didn't see the little eclipse box you had to click on. Then I saw this video you posted at youtube:

and that had me up and going. Couldn't be any easier.

So, I didn't need the IB Plugin or anything to make this work, only QuoteTrader.

Comment

Originally posted by demarcog
            Hi specialsof,
            The Plugin is a simple install, takes less then a minute and can easily be removed. You may want to try installing it and then use the symbol directionary application which is available after you click the Trade-Interactive Brokers-Broker Login option.

The Symbol Dictionary option is available in the IB Broker window which is where you add those symbols.

As I recall Nasdaq prices data must be explicitly subscribed to as there is a monthly fee and Disclosure Agreements to be signed (electronically). See is you can retrieve those prices from within TWS first, if not use TWS Account Management to do so.

Hope this helps,

Glen
            Hi Glen,

Thanks for your help. Evidently I didn't need a plugin but it took me a while to figure out why I didn't.

That lookup dialog Brent posted evidently can figure it all out as it is easily finding futures, etc.

Mel

Comment

Working...
            X