can't find ES in symbol mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find ES in symbol mapping

I have installed esignal on 3 computers. 2 of them work fine. But on the third one, I am not able to do symbol mapping between IB/eSignal.

I know how to do it (Trade->Interactive Brokers->Symbol Mapping) as otherwise I won't be able to set them up in the first computer. I just have no idea why it fails on my thrid computer.

On the computer with this issue, IB is shown as connected in the status bar.

Below describes what I saw:
    i) in "Edit Symbol Mapping"
    ==> the instruments are not available
    ii) when I clicked the bottom "Add" in the "Edit Symbol Mapping" window, I got the window "Create New Symbol". I entered "ES U9" in the field "Symbol" and tried both "Try Automap" and "Lookup" but both didn't return any result.

Comment

From the steps you described below you're requesting to map a symbol that Interactive Brokers does not know. Remember that ES #F is an eSignal custom continuous contract symbol.

To use ES #F it would need to be manually mapped to IB's December contract. Below are the steps to manually configure the contract.

Trade--Interactive Brokers-->Symbol Mapping
      Enter the eSignal Symbol (ES #F) Click Lookup

The screenshot below is what information you'll need to map to Interactive Brokers.

Comment

Avery,

I cannot map the ES #F and TF #F continuous contracts to IB correctly. For example, the ES #F is currently mapped to the symbol ID "ES-FUT+USD-201006:GLOBEX".

The eSignal side doesn't have a problem (I'm using alias ES #F) when I place a buy or sell order on the continuous contract but IB is coming back with the error message:

"Failed to place order: No security definition has been found for the request.

I don't want to use the ES M0 or TF M0 symbol mapping (which will work) because I'm dealing with charts which need over 30 days of data on them and the non-continuous contracts are not good for that just after a rollover date.

Could you please test this with an IB sim account and let me know how you did it correctly? Thanks.

Comment

Steve,

The error you’re getting is not because of mapping. The error indicates that the order being places is being routed to the wrong exchange. In this case the order is being routed to SMART.

Couple of things you can check,

Default Order Setting (Trade-->Interactive Brokers-->Order Defaults-- Check to make sure the ROUTE for Futures is set to GLOBEX

If placing orders using the Order Ticket check the route to make sure it's going to GLOBEX.

Now if both are set correctly and you're getting this error go into the configurator and remove the IB connection and create a new one.

Please let me know how things turn out.

Comment

That did the trick.

Thanks Avery.

Comment

Side note:

I *really hope* that eSignal developers expand this direct chart trading capability.

For example, if I have multiple buy or sell orders, I have no way of grouping the targets and stops and moving them as one unit.

Can you imagine (with bracket orders enabled) adding to an active trade 5 times and then you have 6 individual stop and target orders to manage with your mouse on the screen? There's got to be more thought put into this user interface.

For me personally, I only add to winning trades and I'm all-out at the target or stop. All of my add-ons should just be added also to the original target and stop orders or else I'm stuck with a mouse-moving nightmare in the heat of a fast-moving trade.

Comment

Working...
              X