Automated Esignal Paper Trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated Esignal Paper Trading

Ok I have just added a sound alarm to my esignal Two Average Crossover Strategy.

However I keep getting the alert sound every time the bar is on the point of crossover. Everytime the bar flashes red and green the sound goes off.

What I need to know is how many trades I would be making if this strategy was automated. Would orders go off in a similar vein to the sound?

Is there anyway I can automate orders directly to the esignal paper trade to measure the number of trades and not just rely on backtesting? Anyone with any knowledge of this codes workings and possible number of trades?

Please find enclosed code, any insertion of 1000 shares buy/short/cover to paper trade on this strategy would be more than appreciated.

Regards
    Spam
    Attached Files

Here is the code for Paper Trading.

This code simply includes the Paper Trading functions - no other changes..

Although, I did add one variable called CONTRACTS to allow you to control the number of shares/contracts to trade.

Brad
    Attached Files
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

This new code....

Fixed the problem of the system generating multiple alerts (thus multiple trades per bar). It is an example of my "time-stamping" routine - that all developers should consider using in these situations.

It simply prevents the system from generating more than one trade per bar. Now, it does have it's draw-backs. By limiting only one trade per bar, we will not be able to catch "quick reversals".

The solution to this might be to create a "time based time stamp". For example, when the trade is issued, we record the TIME of the trade. Then, do not allow the system to trade for say 45 seconds. After 45 seconds, we could reset the timestamp and allow another trade to be issued.

We could also set the "time based" time stamp to a price based time stamp. For example, after a trade, allow the timestamp to be reset after a 0.25 pt price move (or what ever).

Anyway, here is your code.

Brad
      Attached Files
      Brad Matheny

Comment

Brad there is no doubt your the man.

I use 3 minute intervals so maybe I won't get my head handed to me to often. But maybe I will politely ask you to do the 45 second trick in future if its not to much trouble I'll try this first--- thanks so much.

Also Brad what do you think the best solution to automate orders with IB, should I use Efs+Dyna+IB or just EFS + IB?

Also I'm worried about market and limit orders with automated trading what would you suggest and would I need complex coding in order to get decent fills?

Regards Spam

Comment

EFS Order Automation...

Spam,

The answers to your question are based on your needs..

1. Do you need simply BUY and SELL orders for your system - if so, then use the esignal tools to execute the orders.

2. Do you need more complex order structures (buy/sell market/limit/stoplimit/other - including cancellation/modification of each unique order type), then use DynaOrder.
          www.dynaorder.com

3. Do you need to be able to execute a specific "strategy" and simply want to develop entry triggers. Then use NinjaTrader.
          www.ninjatrader.com

I have developed for all three and found benefits for each. Of course, the last two are a bit more difficult to write code for, but the provide additional benefits for controlling the actions of your system.

Dynaorder is a good intermediate solution with good documentation.

Brad
          Brad Matheny

Comment

mmm I tested the efs crossover with the time stamping routine.
            Without the routine many unecessary executions occured
            good work Brad.

Sideways markets are a pain for automated trading or any trading for that matter. Has anyone got any ideas for efs to eliminate sideways markets?

Not trading is one thing, maybe it be worth writing code that stops automated trading between 12.15 pm and say 1.40pm. Volume and therefore momentum usually slow and go sideways during this period of the day, i'm sure many traders lose money at this time of day if in the market.

Maybe only taking position when the MOM indicator is at 1.0 or -1.0 maybe better. Any thoughts or previous EFS testing on sideways markets????????

Regards
            Spam

Comment

Working...
            X