how do you reverse the data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you reverse the data

On currencies such as CHF, and JPY a0-fx, the quotes come in as the reverse of how they are quoted where I trade.
    For example, if the CHF, on eSignal, is 1.1630, then the way it is quoted at the brokerages, is 1/1.1630 = .8598.
    So, when I get a bullish signal on my chart, I have to remember to go short, because it is moving inversely to the eSignal quotes.
    Is there a "canned" formula available, that will reverse this data, so that my charts will appear in the numbers in which I trade?????
    David Gellman

David
    Use the following expression as the symbol
    [symbol] /[symbol] /[symbol]
    For example
    CHF A0-FX /CHF A0-FX /CHF A0-FX
    The net effect is that you are calculating 1/CHF A0-FX thereby inverting the chart (see image)
    Alex

Comment

Hi David,

This little trick is also mentioned in the eSignal Knowledge base. Click here to read the article.

Comment

I must have misunderstood this process. Are you saying that you type this symbol in on a chart page??? Or, do you have to write an .efs formula?
        If a formula must be written, I have very little experience with this. So, if you know where I can get the formula, that would be great.
        As for simply typing in the symbol on achart page (JPY A0-FX / JPY A0-FX / JPY A0-FX), I get an "invalid symbol" message.
        David Gellman

Comment

Hi David,

This doesn't require EFS so you won't need any coding experience to pull this chart up. Here is how the symbol should be displayed. Keep in mind that the 0 in A0 is a zero, not the letter O. You'll also need to make sure that there is a space between the symbols and the operator ( / ). This will only work in the Advanced Chart. The Quote Window doesn't recognize the calculation. Alex gets the kudos for figuring this trick out.

Comment

AHA..... THAT was my mistake....I failed to do the following...

make sure that there is a space between the symbols and the operator ( / ).

Thank you SO much for this trick. There were so many times when I almost forgot to go short, rather than long as a result of this inverse chart.
            I was wondering why this dosnt happen with the GBP, EUR. Because EVERY symbol that you type in as ex. chf a0-fx, is always usd/chf, or, usd/gbp. The usd always comes first. So, I figured that this didnt happen with EUR, and GBP, because they are both greater than 1.
            BUT, why does the AUD quotes come in correctly???They are also USD/AUD, where the USD comes first, AND the number is less than 1??? As a matter of fact NZD is another example???
            David Gellman

Comment

How does one invert a spread, e.g:

eur a0-fx - aud a0-fx

Comment

atlas
                At this time you would be able to do that only through an efs
                Alex

Comment

Hi Alex, would that be

PHP Code:
                  return (/ (Eur A0-fx Aud A0-fx)) 
                  ?

in pseudocode and how do I get a candlestick of this
                  Last edited by atlas; 01-29-2005, 11:26 AM.

Comment

atlas
                    That expression will not return anything.
                    You need to first create two variables ie

var symA = close(0,"eur a0-fx");
                    var symB = close(0,"aud a0-fx");

Then create the spread and run a null check to avoid divide by 0 errors

var spread = symA - symB;
                    if(spread==null)
                    return;

Then in the return statement you can write

return 1/spread;

Hope this helps
                    Alex

Comment

Ok, and I'm forgetting if efs can plot a candlestick chart. I really just want to see a chart, and not an indicator.

Comment

atlas
                        Not that I know of. You would need to do something similar to what JasonK did for the Heikin-Ashi study.
                        Alex

Comment

Working...
                        X