Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help choosing a system configuration & Dual Monitor Card

Hi,

I am getting a new Dell system & need help choosing the right dual monitor card & other configurations too.

I will be running eSignal Advanced Chart with 4 to 8 charts open with 6 to 8 studies on each of them. I would also like run Trade Station & couple of other charting software too at the same time.

All applications in End of day mode. None with real time data though. But I would like to plot tick charts though.

Would following configuration be enough & if not what would you suggest.

P4 D 2.8 GHz ( Dual Core Processor )

1 GB DDR 2 ( 533 MHz ) RAM

Two Monitors (1) 21 inch (2) 17 inch (Both CRT Monitors)

160 GB HDD

Intel 945 G chipset

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

(1) Please tell me if above configuration would be sufficient for what I want to run as described above.

(2) Please tell me what brand & how many MB Dual Monitor card would I need

Thank You

robert3,

First, I would recommend a faster front side bus which would allow you to get faster memory, 800 mhz, perhaps going to a 3 ghz processor. The multicore will not help you run eSignal, but it will help with the alternate analysis packages. eSignal is not a multithreaded application... yet.

Video Cards are tough, as there are a ton of them. With two monitors, you would be best set with a video Card that has dual digital output for your monitors. Also, you want to ensure the monitors have a digital input.

The speed of the graphics card is important, go with one that has good performance with video games, when rated in that manner.

There are two interfaces to the video card, an AGP and a PCIe. Ensure you know what you have and whatever video card you are buying supports the interface. If you buy from dell, they should keep you out of trouble there, but you will pay a premium. The newer interface is the PCIe and that may be the one on the motherboard. Here is a link to a popular site that reviews pc components. A little time there may help you figure this out.

As far as memory goes, this image is my newest video card and it has 128 mb, and is older video board (1 year old) with an AGP interface on a machine that is 2 years old. It works well for me and runs about $180 now in the AGP footprint and $130 in the PCIe footprint.

One other thing, the higher end PC is transitioning right now. I would consider waiting until after the holidays as I think prices may really drop on the configuration you are considering.

Having said all this, running end of the day stuff will not tax the system you described. Tick charts are processor and memory intensive, and the more power, the better, especially if you are running a large number of studies in real time. Running historical bars at tick intervals is not as processor intensive as in real time.

Lastly, get a good surge protector and a UPS. 2 weeks ago, my UPS saved my system from a surge, regretfully, neither the UPS nor the bulb on my LCD survived. I am now using a surge protector with a UPS downstream. The nice thing with the surge protector is the one location I had this one, all of the equipment was saved.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X