Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS and trading question

Originally posted by stevehare2003

If you have any questions, please ask, sometimes I am not very clear in my explanations. If you have any requests for changes, or additional functionality, please ask as well, I am open to suggestions.
    Steve,

I wanted to thank you for all the help you have provided (and have to thank Jason, and Alexis also). I have learned a great deal from many of you posts and thank you for sharing the amazing work.

I've been struggling for alot of years trading and attempting to implement a profitable trading systems, it's infinately more difficult then I anticipated. You expertise is well beyond what I could achieve in more years then I have left, and I wonder if you could possible answer some general questions about system development?

First of all out of the many thousands of strategies/indicators posted in this forum, are there any that you would recommend as a baseline for designing one of my own short term trading system?

I also trade (not quite successfullly) the russell and spy'ders and would love to know more about the use of your pivot indicator on the 344t chart you posted. It's a real work of art, and any information you have would be greatly appreciated?

I read your posts as a way of educating myself and noticed you are not a fan of "lagging" indicators such as 2 moving average crossover systems.

As someone who has tested literally any system I could get my hands on, I absolutely agree. But wonder what indicator you use as an indication of a trend beginning and I understand your point in a post about the relationship of price to the moving average. What indicates a trend has begun?

Do you reccomend giving up on short term daytrading (1-5min) strategies on the IWM and SPY, QQQQ, given the low ATR's.

There is definately a relationship between volatiltiy and profitability, I have a dozen system that make money in OIH, and PD, (and I actually posted those systems with the time frames and symbols --amazing only a few people downloaded it, I wish someone else would post a successful strategy ...). These are highly volatile daily ATR(20) of over 3, where the SPY and EURO is about 1. Do you base the time frame on arbitrary (let's try 1min, 3 min, etc....until it makes money....which worries me a little as someone who was the master curve fitter of tradestation's optimization tool) or are there volatility based ranges that determine time frames?

How do you decide on what time frame to run a system against?

I could go on for ever, but don't want to over stay my wlecome, and appreciate all the help you, Jason, and Alexis and other have provided. When I make enough money to wipe out childhood starvation as I will either do or die trying (so far it looks like the later) I'll be sure to remember all of you.....thanks again..........if you prefer I not overwhelm this board/off topic then feel free to email me [email protected]......thanks glen
    Last edited by demarcog; 09-19-2006, 11:00 AM.
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Originally posted by demarcog
    Steve,

I wanted to thank you for all the help you have provided (and have to thank Jason, and Alexis also). I have learned a great deal from many of you posts and thank you for sharing the amazing work.
    Thanks for the kind words, like you, I have learned much from those willing to share with others on this forum. I can also tell you that by helping others in the forum, I have learned much more than what I would have if I would have not provided assistance.

I've been struggling for allot of years trading and attempting to implement a profitable trading systems, it's infinitely more difficult then I anticipated. You expertise is well beyond what I could achieve in more years then I have left, and I wonder if you could possible answer some general questions about system development?
    Sure.

First of all out of the many thousands of strategies/indicators posted in this forum, are there any that you would recommend as a baseline for designing one of my own short term trading system?
    I believe any of them can be used as a start, more importantly you have to figure out when to trade and most importantly, once in a trade, manage your trade with sound money management techniques.

I also trade (not quite successfully) the Russell and spy'ders and would love to know more about the use of your pivot indicator on the 344t chart you posted. It's a real work of art, and any information you have would be greatly appreciated?
    I use the same library that I published as a trading tool. If you look at this post, you will see one part of the library and how it can be used to develop trading rules.

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...5215#post85215

As shown on that post, I use trend lines drawn from the indicator pivots and their crossovers by the indicators as an integral part of a trading system. The crossover of the moving averages of the indicators can also be used as a tool. The help file has quite a bit of information in there as well.

If you are trying to trade Mechanically, you have to create a set of conditionals that reflects accurately how you want to trade. This is an area where I have seen many problems, errors in the conditionals. In my case, I monitor the internals of my efs's with the trace utility in the library to ensure my trading system is working correctly.

As someone who has tested literally any system I could get my hands on, I absolutely agree. But wonder what indicator you use as an indication of a trend beginning and I understand your point in a post about the relationship of price to the moving average. What indicates a trend has begun?
    That is difficult and there are many theories, but I have found the trend is over when lagging indicators provide an entry signal and you enter the trade.

Do you recommend giving up on short term daytrading (1-5min) strategies on the IWM and SPY, QQQQ, given the low ATR's.
    If you are not successful, I would stop

There is definitely a relationship between volatility and profitability, I have a dozen system that make money in OIH, and PD, (and I actually posted those systems with the time frames and symbols --amazing only a few people downloaded it, I wish someone else would post a successful strategy ...). These are highly volatile daily ATR(20) of over 3, where the SPY and EURO is about 1.
    My initial response is that if it did make money, why are you not using it. Also, why haven't you continued to develop it. There are many good tools available on the forum and in the FileShare areas. They are only a part of the solution however.

I wish someone else would post a successful strategy ...
    There are some people on this and other forums that have claimed or claim their systems make all kinds of money. I have yet to see any of these strategies make money when backtested. In my opinion, people making these unsubstantiated claims have questionable motives, and have their own agenda where we are not the intended beneficiary.

On the other hand, there are those who have integrity, usually they are the ones that are not jumping up and down telling everyone how great they are.

How do you decide on what time frame to run a system against?
    It is personal preference, take a look at the posted charts on this forum and in the fileshare areas.

I could go on for ever, but don't want to over stay my welcome, and appreciate all the help you, Jason, and Alexis and other have provided. When I make enough money to wipe out childhood starvation as I will either do or die trying (so far it looks like the later) I'll be sure to remember all of you.....thanks again......
    Good luck and thanks again for the kind words. Also, thanks for the offer, but please keep your money when you succeed. I know that I can answer for Jason, Alex, and myself that we are not providing assistance here as a means to solicit or otherwise promote ourselves.

My recommendations are:
    • Stay away from those that spend the majority of their time promoting themselves.
    • You need to develop effective trade management rules prior to throwing more money at the markets. Stop worrying about entry signals and start worrying about managing your trades. Once you develop a solid trade management philosophy, revisit how you enter trades.
    • There is considerable training material available at little or no cost here on the eSignal site. Also consider Woodies techniques and rules, based on what I have seen, he has integrity and is a good teacher. Finally, you should also consider attending some seminars on trade and money management.

Comment

demarcog and all,

I too am thankful for the great programmers who write and share good code AND explain what they are doing. Then there is that special category, those who have the talent and patience to help others fix their problems.

Some trading ideas/tips from my experience here:

1) Ergotic is a great smoothing indicator.
      CCI peaks are great and show up early, but how handle them is tricky.

2) I like using the 'Close Enough' method of looking at simple lagging indicators.
      Instead of go Long at SMA_13 > SMA_20 , use SMA_13 > SMA_20 - XX , where XX would be something sized appropriately for your symbol. ( emini's ES, AB try 0.01 to 0.5)
      these can easily trigger 1-4 bars before normal crossover.
      using 3 - 6 of this type of conditional combining MA, MACD, Stochastic etc AND'ed together work great for me short term.
      P.S. must be very careful with complex equations, ex. going from Long condition to create the Short condition.
      Because of the overlapping conditions you are creating, it is possible to get Long & Short triggers on the same bar {testing only 1 condition especially}.

3) My main analysis and backtesting is done using Renko bars(Chart type), they smooth out most indicators nicely.
      Great for backtesting, horrible realtime due to all the indicator on the chart drifting (eSignal has been aware of this for nearly 3 years)

4) adxdm4b2 in JasonK fileshare is good code to start with for backtesting, also look in his 'Back Testing Guide'

5) I've tried taking 2-3 partial profits but have better results exiting all at once (Trends make the real $$). Have not tried multiple entries.

Comment

Thanks very much for the input....

What is Ergotic?

I used stochastics/rsi/MACD, do you consider CCI to be a superior
        to these oscillators? Based on what I read in this forum people seem to prefer teh CCI, but when I look at on a chart, I don't see any obvious diferences bet CCI and the other "oscillators" ?

That's an interesting suggestion about using moving average "close enough". Do you find it more accurate then simply using a faster moving average.?

Is the 13 and 20SMA's your preferred moving average trading short term on the ES?

I've played around with adxdm4b2 and all of JasonK's fileshare and found them extremely helpful. I initially thought adxdm4b2 would make money but could never modify it for profitability?

What problems are you having with Renko charts?

I've seen that when used they do increase the profitability, but if in real time those results don't carry over then that really worries me?

I've not only see that the results exiting the entire position generates more profit, but almost every system I've tested does much better when all in, have you noticed also?

Lastly, have you been able to develop profitable systems on the ES, trading 1-5minutes, and if so would like to hear about them?

thanks [email protected]

Originally posted by DavidZ
        demarcog and all,

I too am thankful for the great programmers who write and share good code AND explain what they are doing. Then there is that special category, those who have the talent and patience to help others fix their problems.

Some trading ideas/tips from my experience here:

1) Ergotic is a great smoothing indicator.
        CCI peaks are great and show up early, but how handle them is tricky.

2) I like using the 'Close Enough' method of looking at simple lagging indicators.
        Instead of go Long at SMA_13 > SMA_20 , use SMA_13 > SMA_20 - XX , where XX would be something sized appropriately for your symbol. ( emini's ES, AB try 0.01 to 0.5)
        these can easily trigger 1-4 bars before normal crossover.
        using 3 - 6 of this type of conditional combining MA, MACD, Stochastic etc AND'ed together work great for me short term.
        P.S. must be very careful with complex equations, ex. going from Long condition to create the Short condition.
        Because of the overlapping conditions you are creating, it is possible to get Long & Short triggers on the same bar {testing only 1 condition especially}.

3) My main analysis and backtesting is done using Renko bars(Chart type), they smooth out most indicators nicely.
        Great for backtesting, horrible realtime due to all the indicator on the chart drifting (eSignal has been aware of this for nearly 3 years)

4) adxdm4b2 in JasonK fileshare is good code to start with for backtesting, also look in his 'Back Testing Guide'

5) I've tried taking 2-3 partial profits but have better results exiting all at once (Trends make the real $$). Have not tried multiple entries.
        Glen Demarco
        [email protected]

Comment

Steve,

I forgot the end quote block and nested part of my response with yours and cannot "edit" it out sorry. I'm repeating it here for clarity:

Steve thanks very much for the response.

As shown on that post, I use trend lines drawn from the indicator pivots and their crossovers by the indicators as an integral part of a trading system. The crossover of the moving averages of the indicators can also be used as a tool. The help file has quite a bit of information in there as well.

I've spent alot of time studing everything in your file share, and I'm not well versed in linear regression techniques but very interested. Do you consider the regular linear regression crossing the WMA as a valid basis for a trend following system?

Read the entire 53 page documents and definately plan to utilize the library. I love the tracing facility, and plan to see if I can correlate/optimize my trade signals by dumping some of the indicators at the time signals are generated to possibly filter out "congestion" periods. I've seen some interesting things done with the difference between 2 moving averages or it's simplier equivalent (price oscillator).

I also saw the stochastic profit testing screenshot which looks like a great tool?

Anymore information on the super indicator? It's similiar to one I've been working on forever, but never incorporated the cycle analyzer?

Your pivot work is amazing, there is quite alot of information on the screen and not sure how to effectively utilize the data to the point of generating signals. Do you primarily use "breaks" of the lines, or also trade off ofthe support and resistance levels?

Regaring successful trading strategies, I'm preplexed by the fact that between you, JasonK, Alex, etc, every concievable indicator and strategy has been seemingly tested and yet as I said finding one here (or worse yet in published magazines) that makes money is rare. I can understand if one who has struggled so long to find a successful strategy isn't keen on posting it publicly. My fear and suspision is that indeed that goal of a 100 percent mechanical system, on short term data, is far more elusive then would appear.

Regarding why I have not traded the systems that make money. Well, unfortunately, for the vast majority of cases, once I put "money management" principles in the system, stops/profit targets, the profit goes away.

The instruments that the systems do well on OIH, PD, typically have monster gaps from close to open, that I'm not comfortable with so far, but am reconsidering that recently.

My statement about "dozens" of systems that make money was somewhat overstated. I plan to perhaps open a new post or perhaps fileshare with the systems I've found that do well.

In the hopes of establishing some credability, I'm attaching a strategy I found a few days ago somewhere on this board, called
          strRSI.efs, that run on OIH 5 minute data for the past 120 days is profitable. That's with slippage $5 and $1 comission.

Thanks again for you help, I believe that the conventional wisdom, that prevents us from "sharing" our systems, for fear that we loose something by helping another, or that this "zero sum" game dictates playing it as close to the chest as possible is the same irrational, but an integral part of our psychology, is the same fear that causes us to cut our profits short rendering us "net losers" trading.

The power of the internet, whereby we can collaborate and achieve level of success impossible by ourselves far out weighs
          the "risk" of giving our secrets away. I plan to "put my money where my mouth is in the next few days and post better systems, that BTW, use MARKET.NEXTBAR......if I can figure out how to set up a fileshare.

Originally posted by stevehare2003
          Thanks for the kind words, like you, I have learned much from those willing to share with others on this forum. I can also tell you that by helping others in the forum, I have learned much more than what I would have if I would have not provided assistance.

Sure.

I believe any of them can be used as a start, more importantly you have to figure out when to trade and most importantly, once in a trade, manage your trade with sound money management techniques.

I use the same library that I published as a trading tool. If you look at this post, you will see one part of the library and how it can be used to develop trading rules.

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...5215#post85215

If you are trying to trade Mechanically, you have to create a set of conditionals that reflects accurately how you want to trade. This is an area where I have seen many problems, errors in the conditionals. In my case, I monitor the internals of my efs's with the trace utility in the library to ensure my trading system is working correctly.

That is difficult and there are many theories, but I have found the trend is over when lagging indicators provide an entry signal and you enter the trade.

If you are not successful, I would stop

My initial response is that if it did make money, why are you not using it. Also, why haven't you continued to develop it. There are many good tools available on the forum and in the FileShare areas. They are only a part of the solution however.

There are some people on this and other forums that have claimed or claim their systems make all kinds of money. I have yet to see any of these strategies make money when backtested. In my opinion, people making these unsubstantiated claims have questionable motives, and have their own agenda where we are not the intended beneficiary.

On the other hand, there are those who have integrity, usually they are the ones that are not jumping up and down telling everyone how great they are.

It is personal preference, take a look at the posted charts on this forum and in the fileshare areas.

Good luck and thanks again for the kind words. Also, thanks for the offer, but please keep your money when you succeed. I know that I can answer for Jason, Alex, and myself that we are not providing assistance here as a means to solicit or otherwise promote ourselves.

My recommendations are:
          • Stay away from those that spend the majority of their time promoting themselves.
          • You need to develop effective trade management rules prior to throwing more money at the markets. Stop worrying about entry signals and start worrying about managing your trades. Once you develop a solid trade management philosophy, revisit how you enter trades.
          • There is considerable training material available at little or no cost here on the eSignal site. Also consider Woodies techniques and rules, based on what I have seen, he has integrity and is a good teacher. Finally, you should also consider attending some seminars on trade and money management.
          Last edited by demarcog; 09-20-2006, 03:17 PM.
          Glen Demarco
          [email protected]

Comment

Hi demarcog,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town since my last reply and have little time to myself this weekend. I am posting this so you understand that I am not ignoring you. I put some things together last night to address your post, but they are incomplete. I should have some time early this week to get back with you with a proper response.

I feel that Brad has provided some good information and insight in his response to this thread. As he indicated, he has done this for a while and in my experience he is a wealth of information. Further, he has also provided some timely information in post91141 as well.

Comment

demarcog,

I think I may have given you too many ideas at one time, but I do believe some creative thinking and decent programming ability are required to succeed. My guess is you are a lot closer to success than you believe. Reading and research has been done, lots of backtesting discovered things that don't work – you are on the right track. Developing good trading strategies really does take a lot time, patience and money to live on.

My methods are all in one time frame, just different values for the multiple studies.
              MACD, ADX and Stochastic are my weapons of choice; it was just easier to give a MA example. Actually just tried some old entry conditions I created about 2 years ago which did poorly, But with improved overall code and trailing stops I have a smile on my face tonight. In this particular case, I was not trying to lead the signal crossover , instead making sure the crossing had occurred 'with good measure' ( lines HAD separated enough)

Comment

demarcog,

I think I may have given you too many ideas at one time, but I do believe some creative thinking and decent programming ability are required to succeed. My guess is you are a lot closer to success than you believe. Reading and research has been done, lots of backtesting discovered things that don't work – you are on the right track. Developing good trading strategies really does take a lot time, patience and money to live on.

My methods are all in one time frame, just different values for the multiple studies.
                MACD, ADX and Stochastic are my weapons of choice; it was just easier to give a MA example. Actually just tried some old entry conditions I created about 2 years ago which did poorly, But with improved overall code and trailing stops I have a smile on my face tonight. In this particular case, I was not trying to lead the signal crossover , instead making sure the crossing had occurred 'with good measure' ( lines HAD separated enough)
                David,

Thanks for the encouraging words and assistance. What timeframes do you use as a baseline on for testing on the stock indices?

Any suggestions for trailing stop logic. I tried ATR based but found that when the market consolidates, still with the trend, I would get stopped out too early?

It makes sense to look at a higher time period as you suggest, but when using intervals of higher time values the backtesting results are way too over inflated (forward looking).

If I'm using 14,3,3 on stochastics on a 5 minute what would you suggest for a higher level stochastics parameter setting for longer term trend confirmation?

I'm using the default values for ADX and MACD, and 14,3,3 for stochastics. The problem is when ANDing these indicators there are too many signals without a trend filter. But waiting for a trend signal is too much or a lagging indicator.

I've been focusing my efforts on the 5 minute time period which is a challenge for instruments that only move 1 percent a day.
                Glen Demarco
                [email protected]

Comment

demarcog,

Thanks for the encouraging words and assistance. What timeframes do you use as a baseline on for testing on the stock indices?
                  I use Renko primarily, then tick charts for emini Russell. Renko is short ~5-10 sec and small bars < 0.8 . Tick chart 200-400 ticks. Renko linearizes the price changes ,hence all your indicators look and work a little differently ( better in my opinion).
                  Any suggestions for trailing stop logic. I tried ATR based but found that when the market consolidates, still with the trend, I would get stopped out too early?
                  I use parabolicSAR but control when it begins working as a stop and a minimum increment amount is chosen. Lots of experimenting with values here. (0.03,0.007,0.25) is one from my tick charts to get you in reasonable range.
                  It makes sense to look at a higher time period as you suggest, but when using intervals of higher time values the backtesting results are way too over inflated (forward looking).
                  Wasn’t me, my chart for 1 day of bars fills 2 screen wide. I seem to do better working with LOTS of bars. The idea of doing only a trade or 2 a day is appealing, but IMHO requires visually seeing the big trend.
                  If I'm using 14,3,3 on stochastics on a 5 minute what would you suggest for a higher level stochastics parameter setting for longer term trend confirmation?
                  21,10,4 stochastics is good enough for me, but remember I am doing Renko bars.
                  ckryza has some great scripts in Specialty Scripts, 2x-BLine stuff to look at.
                  Also PyraTool is there ( based on Gann). Ergotic is in misc folder
                  I'm using the default values for ADX and MACD, and 14,3,3 for stochastics. The problem is when ANDing these indicators there are too many signals without a trend filter. But waiting for a trend signal is too much or a lagging indicator.
                  ADX - On Renko I use ~ 3:2 ratio, on tick chart ~ 2:1, must test variables to make it look usable for you.

Stocks & Commodities folder has some interesting long term scripts http://forum.esignalcentral.com/foru...s=&forumid=109
                  2006 Oct, 2005 July, May & Mar look like something I will checkout.
                  I've been focusing my efforts on the 5 minute time period which is a challenge for instruments that only move 1 percent a day.
                  I rarely use time based charts.
                  For grins – haven’t looked at ES in a long time, but just threw 2 of my systems at it

looking at Sept 25 & 26, AB Z6 did much better,one of my scalping models
                  ES Z6 did much better on a trending model ( 20-30 min trends)

Comment

demarcog,

I use Renko primarily, then tick charts for emini Russell. Renko is short ~5-10 sec and small bars < 0.8 . Tick chart 200-400 ticks. Renko linearizes the price changes ,hence all your indicators look and work a little differently ( better in my opinion).
                    I'm having problems with my Renko charts, when I select change the chart type to Renko from candlestick the chart window usually hangs up and never quite retrieves the data....need to research this.
                    Do you have to modify your strategy code in anyway?

What about the apparent large time gaps when the Renko charts do complete drawing on the screen, sometimes I see large time gaps of several days or longer....this concerns me..

I use parabolicSAR but control when it begins working as a stop and a minimum increment amount is chosen. Lots of experimenting with values here. (0.03,0.007,0.25) is one from my tick charts to get you in reasonable range.
                    Not sure what you mean?

Isn't the stop and reverse at the same price point?

Do you take the entry signal but have a different trailing stop for exit?

Are you using the amSar libraries, or the builtin studies. I also ran across another PowerSar, I think it was called, what do you use?

Wasn’t me, my chart for 1 day of bars fills 2 screen wide. I seem to do better working with LOTS of bars. The idea of doing only a trade or 2 a day is appealing, but IMHO requires visually seeing the big trend.
                    21,10,4 stochastics is good enough for me, but remember I am doing Renko bars.

[/quote]

All you SAR systems are based on Renko, even the Russell?

ckryza has some great scripts in Specialty Scripts, 2x-BLine stuff to look at.
                    Also PyraTool is there ( based on Gann). Ergotic is in misc folder
                    Chryza does have some amazing stuff. Just loaded the 2x-Bline studies, would love to turn it into a strategy and backtest it but it's not a trivial task.

ADX - On Renko I use ~ 3:2 ratio, on tick chart ~ 2:1, must test variables to make it look usable for you.
                    What do you mean by 3:2 ratio, I usually use the default 14,14 for +DI, -DI, and smoothing, been experimenting with longer time periods as a trend indicator with mixed results.

Stocks & Commodities folder has some interesting long term scripts http://forum.esignalcentral.com/foru...s=&forumid=109
                    2006 Oct, 2005 July, May & Mar look like something I will checkout.

I rarely use time based charts.
                    For grins – haven’t looked at ES in a long time, but just threw 2 of my systems at it

looking at Sept 25 & 26, AB Z6 did much better,one of my scalping models
                    ES Z6 did much better on a trending model ( 20-30 min trends) [/B]
                    There is alot of good things in that magazine been reading it for many years. You would think with all the time put into those articles and strategy coding that occasionally one would actually be profitable but that is an exceptional case.

Do you have any screenshots or Strategy Analyzer reports from your systems, would love to see how they do....if you prefer you can email me [email protected] if you are concerned about publicly posting them which is understandable.

Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it very much.

glen
                    Glen Demarco
                    [email protected]

Comment

demarcog,

I still have the feeling I am making your life more complicated the more info I give you. Values for indicators are whatever makes sense or looks good; I experiment alot. Default values are only a starting point.

Renko bars update based on the time setting of your chart, that is the minimum time between bars on the chart(normally). If the box size is too small it will cause a gap - seen by several bars having the same time stamp. I am not coding differently for Renko but I should better handle the potential gapping.

parabolicSAR is an indicator you can chart. It was designed to be a reversal system but it is what you make it. Only a modified trailing stop for me. It is in Formulas under builtin and under EFS2 basic & custom. My entries are based on multiple indicators being correct. I would consider SAR systems on daily/weekly bars.

The BLine studies look good on tick charts IMHO.

'ADX - On Renko I use ~ 3:2 ratio' like 23,15 (experiment).
                      [default 14,14 for +DI, -DI] --- NOPE +DI & -DI stay symetrical as you play with the ADX line.

The studies I mentioned in the Stocks & Commodities folder are mostly for daily bars, great for finding the Big Trend or playing the market in a relaxed manner.

I'm not crazy about posting results because I try lots of techniques and I consider nothing as finalized; rough results are 35-40% winners with 2-2.5 win/loss ratio as it is mostly a trend following system.

Comment

If all you did was trade the xx.00, xx.25, xx.50 and xx.75 line crosses you would make money. If candle green, go long. If candle red, go short. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!

You don't need ANY INDICATORS AT ALL!!

One simple rule of thumb. If the price is below the open, only go short. If the price is above the open, only go long.

I hate to see you struggle and waste time when the answer is so simple and obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by jimsmithe
                          If all you did was trade the xx.00, xx.25, xx.50 and xx.75 line crosses you would make money. If candle green, go long. If candle red, go short. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!

You don't need ANY INDICATORS AT ALL!!

One simple rule of thumb. If the price is below the open, only go short. If the price is above the open, only go long.

I hate to see you struggle and waste time when the answer is so simple and obvious.

The only obvious thing to me is that those sincere in helping others provide the code and supporting backtested reports.

If it's so simple, especially for someone who can produce the most complicated and beautiful indicator studies, but can't plug in Strategy.doLong, Strategy.doShort?

Because when I take those indicators, and have tried it with some so far, I'm not seeing it and challenge you to provide a single profitable system based on those TRO Studies...

money talks ....
                          Last edited by demarcog; 09-30-2006, 05:13 PM.
                          Glen Demarco
                          [email protected]

Comment

demarcog,

Originally posted by demarcog

Anymore information on the super indicator? It's similiar to one I've been working on forever, but never incorporated the cycle analyzer?

Your pivot work is amazing, there is quite alot of information on the screen and not sure how to effectively utilize the data to the point of generating signals. Do you primarily use "breaks" of the lines, or also trade off ofthe support and resistance levels?

If you were to have seen some screen shots with cycle analysis on them, that would be something from Chris Kryza, part of the Cycle Pack from Divergence Software. His fileshare name is 'Specialty Scripts'

Regarding the super indicator and the pivot indicator, I put together an efs to show how the data from the library can be used to develop signals. The efs and the link to the library are in the Alternate EFS's thread here http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...570#post91570. The library was revised to make some of the pivot variable names a bit more user friendly and there were some other minor changes to the pivot portion of the library as well. As a result, the latest copy of the library will have to be downloaded to run the efs.

The library pivot functionality and the referenced efs is set to use "breaks" of the projected trend lines. It also evaluates other variables and combines the conditionals to determine whether to trade. Crosses of the moving averages of the highs and the lows of the indicators are treated as varying overbought and oversold levels (for the indicator sent to the pivot library). The way the pivots are calculated does not lend them to be support or resistance levels, although I am sure they could be if set up correctly using price as an input. There are a couple of examples in the help file that use price as an input, however the original intent was that the pivots be used to draw trend line extensions. As to making this tool work for you, try modifying the efs variables, or modifying the values contained in the Pivots declaration.

Comment

demarcog,

I still have the feeling I am making your life more complicated the more info I give you. Values for indicators are whatever makes sense or looks good; I experiment alot. Default values are only a starting point.

Renko bars update based on the time setting of your chart, that is the minimum time between bars on the chart(normally). If the box size is too small it will cause a gap - seen by several bars having the same time stamp. I am not coding differently for Renko but I should better handle the potential gapping.

parabolicSAR is an indicator you can chart. It was designed to be a reversal system but it is what you make it. Only a modified trailing stop for me. It is in Formulas under builtin and under EFS2 basic & custom. My entries are based on multiple indicators being correct. I would consider SAR systems on daily/weekly bars.

The BLine studies look good on tick charts IMHO.

'ADX - On Renko I use ~ 3:2 ratio' like 23,15 (experiment).
                              [default 14,14 for +DI, -DI] --- NOPE +DI & -DI stay symetrical as you play with the ADX line.

The studies I mentioned in the Stocks & Commodities folder are mostly for daily bars, great for finding the Big Trend or playing the market in a relaxed manner.

I'm not crazy about posting results because I try lots of techniques and I consider nothing as finalized; rough results are 35-40% winners with 2-2.5 win/loss ratio as it is mostly a trend following system.
                              Davidz,

You have not made my life more difficult at all, on the contrary You have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Regarding the Renko charts, some systems do better, most seem to do worse.

I really don't like that there are many times when the last bar on a Renko chart depending on time interval and box size can be very far away from where the market is actually trading.

Today I was trading the OIH using a 5 minute Renko, instead of my usual candlestick chart and the lowest point on the last Renko bar was a good .50 higher from where the market was actually trading, that's one insane chart type for actual trading, almost like trading real time with a delayed charting package. Could never get used to that.

Similiar to a point and figure chart, where the last column doesn't get built until the boxsize X reversal threshhold is reached...
                              Glen Demarco
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X