Changing values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing values

Does anyone know how to get the moving averages to give consistent values?

I use a long EMA as a part of a mechanical trading system on the ES contracts, and have seen the values of the 150 period EMA on a 15 minute chart change by a point or so from session to session, which leaves me in doubt at times about the validity of a trigger.

On Friday last, I got a long signal at the end of the day, yet now when I look at the chart it isn't there, since the EMA is about 3/4 of a point higher than it was.

The amount of data pulled into the chart will influence the longer lines, so I try to be consistent about that. I use the #f suffix to keep down the effects of the contract changeover. And sometimes the server will give me a closing price that is different by a tick than it showed in the last session.

Still, it's aggravating being long when the chart says (now) that I should be flat. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oops

Sorry for the repost. I got kicked off the first time and thought I had lost the message.

Dwain

Comment

about that

I guess I wasn't being clear in my post. What I meant was that the EMA line changes from time to time in it's value. For instance, the EMA line now shows a value of 1015.55 on the ES #F chart at the 15:15 candle on Friday. However, on Friday at 15:15, that same line had a value less than that, about 1014.83. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this and what could be done about it. This seems to only occur with longer moving averages.

Thanks,
      Dwain

Comment

Working...
      X