Managing the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing the Trade

Managing the trade is sometimes harder than entering the trade. Managing entails not only having a stop, but also determining profit-taking levels.

In today's emini SP, 1 min. chart, the trading strategy was to buy an XTL continuation. For more info on this strategy go to this thread which was started by Tom Joseph: Using XTL to trade the emini ( 1 2 ).

Here is a management technique that allows you to go risk free once a 1 to 1 in Reward /Risk is reached:

1. Determine your Stop. The previous pivot low was used in this case. The difference between your entry and stop is the Risk. I bought 5 at 1016.75. My stop was at 1015.75. My Risk is 1.00.

2. Using the Fibonacci Extension Tool, first click on the Stop, then on the entry, stretch the lines to the right, and set the final click again at the entry price.

3. Click your right mouse button on one of the Fib. lines and edit the lines to show 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. These levels now represent Reward levels in respect to the risk.

4. Take some contracts off at 1 to 1 and adjust the stop on the remainder to the entry price or to half of risk. I sold 3 at 1017.75, which is where my 1 to 1 was. I adjusted my stop on the remaining 2 to 1016.75. If you were to go half of risk, the stop would be placed at 1016.25. In either case, I am now "risk free" in this trade! This means, I do not worry about anything. I am stress free.

5. We now move to the next step: I took 1 contract off a 2 to 1 which was at a price of 1018.75. I canceled/confirmed my stop for 2 at 1016.75 and placed a stop on the remaining contract again at 1016.75.

6. When I reached 3 to 1 at 1019.75, I closed out the final contract and canceled/confirmed my stop.

7. That's it! Let's do the math here: $400 profit versus initial risk of $250, which is 1.6 to 1 in reward/risk. We can be profitable with 50% winners.

This is an actual trade. If I took off 2 contracts instead of 3 at 1 to 1, and waited to take off 2 contracts at 2 to 1, my reward/risk improves. My point with this technique is that you can get "risk free" fairly quick and still participate if the market continues in the direction of the trade. Yes, we have commissions to consider. You can do your Fib. projections for Reward based on your stop including commission.

You can vary a few things depending on if you are 40% winner or a 70% winner.

Andy Bushak
    eSignal
    Attached Files

Andy

Thank you for your post

I sincerly hope will be one of many to come.

We all will really appreciate them.

Thanks

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Excellent example Andy Bushak!

Excellent, Andy!!

I too thank you Andy...

It is a great pleasure to call you a friend and coworker.

You always have great insights to offer!

Thanks for this post,

your little buddy
      down the hall. -marc
      Marc

Comment

Attached is a trade on today's 1 minute emini. As can be seen, by taking contracts off at 1 to 1 reward/risk, I am profitable even though I did not reach the desired 1.6 on this trade. However, by taking some off and adjusting my stop on the remaining 2, I was able to go risk free. A more detailed money management explanation is available on the 9/16/03 post.

Andy Bushak
        eSignal
        Attached Files

Comment

Another trade on today's 1 minute emini SP using the described management technique. Today's trading strategy was a Stochastic Sell. Today's trade produced at 1.7 in reward/risk. The initial risk was $125.00 and the reward came in at $212.50.

Andy Bushak
          eSignal
          Attached Files

Comment

This is a quick follow-up for the traders that attended our emini Day Trading Seminar in Ft. Lauderdale. This is an actual trade that I took during the seminar. Here's a quick review of how we came up with the set-up and the actions:

1. In our pre-market work, we new the market was going to gap open higher. We came up with 1051.50 as a Gann Support Level on any pullback.
            2. When the market opened, we got our gap up with Blue XTL Bars. This meant that I could look for an XTL Continuation. The ideal support for this is a 38% retracement.
            3. When the market started moving down, I became interested when we got our third seller's bar on the 3 min. bar chart, reached the 38% retracement and reached the Gann Support Level.
            4. I tried to anticipate the first buyer's bar. I bought 10 contracts at market.
            5. The market took off and reached the 100% extension and approached our 1060 Gann target in six buyer's bars. Remember what we learned with buyer's and seller's bars with respect to runs.
            6. I was moving quickly in exiting trades and adjusting stops. Most trades were exited with market orders in anticipation of reaching our reward and target levels. I was able to reach risk free on this trade in about 2.5 minutes, which is one bar. Remember, risk free happens when I take partial profits at 1 to 1 and adjust my stop to breakeven on the remainder.

Thanks,

Andy Bushak
            eSignal
            Attached Files

Comment

>> Remember what we learned with buyer's and seller's bars with respect to runs.

Andy --

Could you elaborate on that statement? What's a buyers bar?

Also, are your recommendations 'in replacement to' or 'in addition to' the current XTL methodology? (i.e. 1/2 @ target, trailing stop vs 5 equal moves)?

(Finally) I heard mention of something using XTL w/ VOLUME bars? Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

-c

Comment

Working...
              X