Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TICK AND TICKI Explanation

Hello,

Can someone please explain the difference between TICK & TICKI?

Thanks

Carlton

Hi,

$TICK is the NYSE Cumulative Tick Index while $TICKI is the Dow Jones Tick Index. Both represent snapshot indications of the combined # of up, down and unchanged issues. Since $TICKI is for the Dow, the # will always range between -30 and +30 ( the # of stocks in the Dow ).

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks.

Comment

Scott,

Great explanation.

Thanks mate.

Carlton

Comment

How would $tick be useful to a trader? (sorry, newbie)

Comment

Hi,

We don't tend to get into "strategies" from a support perspective but I can say that $TICK is a market statistic designed to reflect the current direction of the NYSE. $TICKI is for the Dow and $TICKQ reflects Nasdaq. Much the same goal as these other market statistics.

If you've got some time to read, here's the results of a search for the term $TICK within these Forums.

Perhaps other users will chime in with their thoughts as well.

Thanks and welcome!

Comment

Scott,

You've got me thinking.

Can you tell me what the extremes and neutral ranges are for $TICKQ? I know that the extremes for $TICK are +/- 1000 and the neutral ranges for $TICK are +/-300, but I don't what they are for $TICKQ.

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Comment

Hi Carlton,

I believe there's close to 3000 stocks trading on NASD. In theory then, $TICKQ could range between +3000 and -3000. In application though, those ranges are highly unlikely. If you open up a standard chart for $TICKQ and select daily tabular display, you can quickly peruse back 10 years and see the fluctuation first-hand.

Thanks.

Comment

TICK Strategy

Just was looking over this thread, and the question is poised how can TICK help with a strategy? I just so happen to be working on this, and what I can tell you from my experience is that if you combine the movement of the TICK between extremes for the day, and general direction, you can have a very sensitive daytrader for trading the underlying E-Mini futures.

The only thing that is important is signal validation and good stop management. It is work in progress, but promising.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Working...
                  X