Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Scanning Stocks

Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me develop a stock market scan.

I use Alexander Elder's MACD Impulse system, which was scripted for esignal by Chris.

I really would like help in developing a scan that will identify stocks that fall within the formula's parameters.

Below is a detailed description of what the MACD Impulse System attempts to achieve and how it achieves it:

MACD System is designed to identify the inflection points where a trendspeeds up or slows down. The Impulse System works in any timeframe,including intraday. It provides buy and sell signals, but leaves it up to you to select good markets, tweak parameters, and supply the discipline.

The Impulse System combines two simple but powerful indicators.
    One measures market inertia, the other its momentum. When bothpoint in the same direction, they identify an impulse worth following.

We get an entry signal when both indicators get in gear, but as soon asthey stop confirming one another, we take that as an exit signal.

The Impulse System uses an exponential moving average to find
    uptrends and downtrends. When the EMA rises, it shows that inertia favors the bulls. When EMA falls, inertia works for the bears.

The second component is MACD-Histogram, an oscillator whose slope reflects changes of power among bulls or bears. When MACD-Histogram rises, it shows that bulls are becoming stronger. When it falls, it shows that bears are growing stronger.

The Impulse System flags those bars where both the inertia and the momentum point in the same direction. When both the EMA and MACD-Histogram rise, they show that bulls are roaring and the uptrend is accelerating. When both indicators fall together, they show that bears are crushing the market. Those

Sorry if its a bit long-winded, but I thought it best that I include as much information about the system so that someone may find it easier to assist me.

So, I am hoping that someone can help me devise a stock scan that will help me identify the above. I am prepared to bite the bullet and purchase AGET if thats what you recommend.

For example I have experimented looking for stocks that have reached there New 52 week high, stocks that have increased institutional ownership, etc, etc. While I have found stocks within those groups that match meet with the MACD Impulse criteria, its not consistent.

After months, and months of training/experimenting I have now found a system within MACD Impulse that I'm happy with I just need to find stocks that I can trade with it.

As always, I really appreciate all of your help.

Cheers

Carlton

Hi,

I think it may be achieved by assessing the On Balance Volume - but I'm not sure. Going to read up on what OBV actually is.

Again appreciate any help you guys/gals give provide.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Hello again,

This question is an extension to my original question below. As I mentioned I think On Balance Volume might be a way to achieve my goal. Therefore, I scanned for stocks with an OBV as high as possible. For a company called Electronic Data Systems the OBV was 39. Can someone please explain what 39 actually means? I have been reading up on OBV and I understand that OBV is described as;

If todays close is greater than yesterdays close, then the volume is added yesterdays OBV, and is considered up volume.

So, when I input Electronic Data System (EDS) into my advanced chart I don't see anything to indicate what 39 actually means.

I may be barking up the wrong tree in my attempt to achieve my original goal, however you could help me I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Hi Carlton,

The output number from the OBV study is making reference to the change from the previous OBV value. The portion of this calculation that makes somewhat tricky is the data set in which you are looking at. If we look at 10 days of data, the number will be different than if we were sampling 15 days of data because we have included more data in the sample and in turn are basing the current OBV off the extra five days rather than the starting point from ten days worth of data. In short, the 39 value that you were seeing for EDS is the value (volume in this case) that was either added or subtracted from the previous bar, taking into account the total amount of data that you were viewing. It's a tricky study so please let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a fairly clear explanation of OBV.

Comment

Duane,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to study OBV as I kinda like what its attempting to do.

As regards my original request, I really don't think anyone is going to be able to help me. However, there is an esignal member called Chris who compiled the original MACD Impulse system that might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I think this is one of my most difficult request since being an esignal member.

Thanks for trying anyway

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Working...
          X