What is the basis for your system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the basis for your system?

After an initial flurry of activity, the level of discussion about automated trading systems seems to have dropped off. There are a lot of different reasons why people might feel reluctant to fully disclose their systems but I think that we might also benefit from discussing general details that aren't so proprietary. For example, how would you characterize the basic style, approach, or method of your system? I've been using a very basic Opening Range Breakout (ORB) system and I am currently developing a Range Contraction-Expansion (RCE) system based on the Rectangle (Acme R) system from Conway and Behle's "Professional Stock Trading".

Mark

System Basis...

Underdog....

I've developed multiple systems including...

Pivot point reversal system
    Breakout systems
    Indicator systems
    Multiple Indicator systems
    Price pattern systems
    Multiple MA systems
    and...
    Strategic Entry Systems

I have found strengths and weaknesses in each. The highest accuracy seems to be in the Strategic Entry Systems, the largest profit potential seems to be in a combination of the Strategic Entry Systems and the Multiple Indicator Systems.

Some systems I developed maintain a high accuracy ratio (above 90%), but trade very frequently. Other systems trade more aggressively and the ratio drops to between 45%~78%.

Another trick I've learned it that sometimes stops can KILL you. When you test your systems, try testing without a stop and see what it does. The intra-day draw down might be larger, but sometimes this improves the results.

Anyone else have any feedback??

Brad
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

UD430

My idea to up the amount of dialouge was a little different.

Rather than discuss the systems and the methodology therein, maybe we could discuss the nuts and bolts of how to cobble together a trading system. Sort of like bumpers and fenders, vs track strategy in NASCAR - or what ever those red necks do.

No matter what the signals, we all buy, set stops, sell, cover, wait til 10am to trade, keep track of our profits and losses.

I just wrote a routine to figure out the current clock time and the curretn bar time - the difference you ask? You might get a trade at 15:14:35 and the current bar is 15:10 15:00 or 15:14 to name a few of the more obvious possibilities. You may not want to test days before 12/25/02, now you have an easy way to get the date of a bar.

One call to this routine gets you all sorts of date and time data to use in the efs later on. It has already saved me aggravation. Maybe it will save you some too. It doesnt seem to work on Daily bars at least at the end of the day.

I think the next module I write will be for all the various entries - lomg, short, limit, stop, oca, market and see if that simplifies the creation of a system.

http://share.esignal.com/download.js...=clockTime.efs

/* This routine returns the following:

CurYr, Current year, YYYY
      CurMon, Current month, MM
      CurDay, Current Day, DD

cDateInt, Current Date, YYYYMMDD
      cDatePrint, Current date YYYY:MMD

CurHr, Current Hour, HH
      CurMin, Current Minute, MM
      CurSec, Current Seconds, SS

cTimeInt, Current Clock Time, HHMMSS
      cTimePrint, Current Clock Time, HH:MM:SS

BarYr, Current Bar Year, YYYY
      BarMon, Current BAr Month, MM
      BarDay, Current Bar Day, DD

BarYrMonDayInt, YYYYMMDD
      BarYrMonDayPrint, YYYY:MMD

BarHr, Current Bar Hour, HH
      BarMin, Current Bar Minute
      BarSec, Current bar Seconds, SS

cBarTimeInt, Current Bar Time, HHMMSS
      cBarTimePrint, Current Bar Time, HH:MM:SS
      */

function preMain(){
      setPriceStudy(true);
      }

function main(){
      //debugClear();
      //if(getCurrentBarIndex()!=0){
      getTime();

debugPrintln(cTimeInt+" "+cTimePrint+" "+CurHr+" "+CurMin+" "+CurSec);//ok
      debugPrintln(cBarTimeInt+" "+cBarTimePrint+" "+BarHr+" "+BarMin+" "+BarSec);
      debugPrintln(BarYrMonDayInt+" "+BarYrMonDayPrint+" "+BarYr+" "+BarMon+" "+BarDay);
      debugPrintln(cDateInt+" "+cDatePrint+" "+CurYr+" "+CurMon+" "+CurDay);//ok

//}
      }

function getTime(){

today =new Date;

CurYr= today.getYear()+1900;
      if(CurYr<10){
      CurYr="0"+CurYr;}

CurMon= today.getMonth()+1;
      if(CurMon<10){
      CurMon="0"+CurMon;}

CurDay= today.getDate();
      if(CurDay<10){
      CurDay="0"+CurDay;}

cDateInt =CurYr*10000+CurMon*100+CurDay*1;
      cDatePrint=CurYr+":"+CurMon+":"+CurDay;

CurHr =today.getHours();
      if(CurHr<10){
      CurHr="0"+CurHr;}

CurMin =today.getMinutes();
      if(CurMin<10){
      CurMin="0"+CurMin;}

CurSec =today.getSeconds();
      if(CurSec<10){
      CurSec="0"+CurSec;}

cTimeInt =CurHr*10000+CurMin*100+CurSec*1;
      cTimePrint=CurHr+":"+CurMin+":"+CurSec;

BarYr = getValue("Year");
      if(BarYr<10){
      BarYr="0"+BarYr;}

BarMon = getValue("Month");
      if(BarMon<10){
      BarMon="0"+BarMon;}

BarDay = getValue("Day");
      if(BarDay<10){
      BarDay="0"+BarDay;}

BarYrMonDayPrint= BarYr+":"+BarMon+":"+BarDay;
      BarYrMonDayInt= BarYr*10000+BarMon*100+BarDay*1;

BarHr = getHour();
      if(BarHr<10){
      BarHr="0"+BarHr;}

BarMin = getValue("Minute");
      if(BarMin<10){
      BarMin="0"+BarMin;}

BarSec = getValue("Second");
      if(BarSec>=1&&BarSec<10){
      BarSec="0"+BarSec;}

cBarTimePrint=BarHr+":"+BarMin+":"+BarSec;
      cBarTimeInt =BarHr*10000+BarMin*100+BarSec*1;

return new Array(BarYrMonDayInt, BarYrMonDayPrint, BarYr, BarMon, BarDay, BarHr, BarMin, BarSec, cBarTimeInt, cBarTimePrint,cTimeInt,cTimePrint,cDateInt,cDatePr int, CurYr, CurMon, CurDay, CurHr, CurMin, CurSec);
      }

Comment

Doji3333

What are Estrategic Entry Systems ?

Would you be so nice to elaborate a little about this concept.

Comment

Strategic Entry Systems..

Strategic Entry Systems (SES) can include any number of concepts. Generally, the SES system is..

A trading pattern or technical indicator pattern that exists as points in trading time that are deemed to be "Strategic".

Include defined specific Entry parameters

Include a potential stop loss system

Includes a projected profit target

These systems are moderately aggressive in nature - trading only when a SES formation occurs. If the entry results in a loss - so be it and we continue to wait for another entry.

This is a basic description of a SES system. I hope it gives you the proper idea as to what I try to accomplish with my code.

Brad
          Brad Matheny

Comment

Brad

Would you be willing to share one of your SES efs with us. I'm relativly new to eSignal and would greatly apreciate, to look into a more complex system.

Thanks in advance

Hubert

Comment

Try # 2...

Well. I had written this really nice reply to your request, but the file I tried to attach was too big - so now I have to start all over (huhhh......). Here goes....

This is a system I've been working on and is a pretty good example of a SES system in development.

It uses multiple stochastic indicators and a MA filter to trigger entries. It waits for multiple conditions (about 13) to be correct before entering a position (trade).

This system uses a dual stochastic entry mechanism, filtered by a third stochastic and a MA filter. I also have in place a reversal system, but am not sure if it will stay in it's current form.

The next thing I have to add is a profit target system. I believe the profit target system will greatly improve the systems results. Some systems, like this one, leave a bit of the trade on the table and a profit target may help to reduce the amount of slippage - waiting for a reversal trade to occur.

I also have to ID the proper time frame for this system. Some systems do better on shorter term charts and others do better on longer term charts. Of course, longer term charts tend to increase risk.

Anyway, this is an example of a SES system. I'm not disclosing the logic of the system, but I have disclosed all of the compoments. Here is an image of it so we can begin to open up a more detailed discussion.

Best regards,

Brad
              Attached Files
              Brad Matheny

Comment

IS STILL ON TESTING OR READY?

Brad
                Did You already traded or just testing?

(I'v let you a PM not readed.....)
                Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment