Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your using EFS, enter the highest return you've had...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 2 remarks:

I live in Europe so my english is not always as good, keep that in mind if ever something sounds offensive to you. It will be probably a bad translation from my part. The alternative is that we communicate in Dutch, but that's probably not such a good idea.

Secondly i don't want to be the smart guy who knows everything. I only have 15 years experience as daytrader and i still survive.

About the trend:
    the trend has to be found first, that's logical. You can use an EMA, no problem.

Second step is where to get in? You have to get in where the risc is the lowest and the possible reward the highest. So you need an indicator that can spot bottoms in an uptrend and tops in a downtrend. So you look for extreme points opposite to the trend. Because these points are extreme it means that they normally will reverse, so the risc of going the wrong way is limited.

For me an indicator has 2 different interpretations: 1 for the long side, and 1 for the short side.

Fictitious example: RSI
    If trend long: buy if going in oversold zone, sell if coming down form the overbought zone.
    The explanation is: because the trend is long we will never stay longtime in the oversold zone, so get in as soon as we reach that zone. If we go in the overbought zone we stay in our position because the power of the long will make us go higher and higher. This is due to the momentum. So to take the maximum ride we stay in until we drop out of the overbought zone.

Work with multiple timeframes. Each zigzag on daily charts will be composed of several zigzags on hourly charts. So if the daily zigzag goes up your chnages get better if you het in where the zigzag on hourly charts just turns up again.

I agree that programming a system will never give the same results as "manually"trading. But believe me you can build a sytem that wil , in manual version, make profits in all kind of markets. All depends on the quality of the system.

I will send this already.

Comment

Great posts...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. It is really great to see everyone posting..

Here is a status report...

1. I added a Loss-Counter system and a Time-Limit for the loss counter. So far, the setting of 4 losses by 12PM PST seems to be best. It cut out alot of the losses and let the profits run.

2. I had already built into the code 3 profit targets (three different stages), so I'm going to run some tests with a normal entry and letting 1 or 2 contracts RUN with the trend - to see if the results are any better or not.

3. I want to test with the MERGED system (as discussed earlier) but may not get to that till later.

Regarding TREND and ENTRY/EXIT....

I agree with all that is said here. Although, I believe there is more than one way to skin a cat too. I call this new system "phase 2". It was based on an observation I made regarding the EMINI. I think I stated this before, but I created a time based "phase 2" system first (did not help me continue my thoughts), then I created a different type of "phase 2" system and that was amazing...

It does still have some fault (with congestion) but is much better than anything I have seen or tried to create in the past.

Some professionals state that "time is more important than price" - so keeping this in mind, I'm still looking for more improvements.

So far today - 8 trades - 6 winners ++ $1200.

BTW, I believe I can get this to work for the YM and QQQ..

Keep up the great posts and I'll post more later.

B
      Brad Matheny
      eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Spike500 --

Thanks for the insight. Just trying some 'what if's based on your observations -- very astute!

What I find most interesting is applying the ob/os situations, as you suggested.

Fascinating -- thanks!

Attached is a simple chart of NQ 60min using a 34ema and 13ema as trend indicators. We tag a LONG when we cross and close below cross price, then use CCI for timing entry into the long/short trend.

Seems to work pretty well for the last month or so, I'll write some efs to see how well it does.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

-c
        Attached Files

Comment

Statistics...

Here come some statistics of the system I've been working on..

The first is the ORIGNIAL system (no LOSS COUNT TERMINATOR in place). These are all 25 day tests and you'll see how the Loss Count function seemed to add more $$ as well as reduce the losses...

First image - no loss count - original system
          Attached Files
          Brad Matheny

Comment

Next Stat....

This one is with the loss counter set to 4 losses per day verified by 12 PM PST. Notice the difference in some of the BAD Days...

When there is no difference in the daily returns, that means that the loss count feature did not engage on that day.
            Attached Files
            Brad Matheny

Comment

The Last stat...

This one enters with 4 contracts and exits 3 at the first PT - leaving 1 to run. This result shows much less trades and about the same equity as the first test (with no LC - the original system).

So, I would assume this is an alternate for traders that don't want the additional trading volume.

Any comments would be appreciated.

B
              Attached Files
              Brad Matheny

Comment

How do you make it show futures? Like the dollar amount per point and what not? Thanks a lot guys.
                Last edited by BakedWafer; 05-25-2004, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Baked --

For NQ, I set the 'Size' to 25. That gives me, approximately, 1 contract of 'value' per trade.

So, if I want to sim 4 contracts, I'd use 100. (And, I'd set the transaction cost to $5 or $20 or whatever depending on # of contracts).

For Euro, I use 100,000 as the multiplier.

-c

Comment

Wafer,

For the ES I multiply my size by 50,i.e., 3 contracts = 150

For the commission I divide my actual commission by 50; so if your comish is $8 RT enter 0.16 in Back Tester.
                    ___
                    JO

Comment

>> Any comments would be appreciated.

OK, sign me up.

But, then again, if this works like this, why hassle w/ me? Just run this bad-boy and go on a cruise!

Just curious:
                      What's the PT on these? i.e. I'm guessing w/ 7+ trades/day, it's a tight target -- prob 3pts or so.

Thanks!

-c

Comment

WHICH SIZE are you referring to?

Comment

The size you specify in your efs script when entering a trade, and when exiting at profit targets or stops, etc.
                          __
                          JO

Comment

Or, DEFAULT LOT SIZE on the backtesting screen.

(Backtesting... Default Lot Size [ ..... ]

Comment

Brad,

Just to confirm - you really mean 12pm pst, only 1 hour left in the trading day?

Are you seeing any patterns or market conditions specific to the losing days (i.e. low volume, low volatility, tight ranges or congestion?) Your experience may vary, but I've never found stops on the number of trades to be helpful over the long term.

Any chance of posting the results of a 120 day backtest? (Yeah, I know, they take forever.)
                              Last edited by derekg; 05-25-2004, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Baked --

btw: What the heck is in your mouth?

-c

Comment

Working...
                                X