Serious Futures Traders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Futures Traders

If you're a serious futures trader interested in participating in a small group of like-minded traders to exchange trading ideas, concepts, philosophies and so on, please email me.

I have traded futures (and stocks) since 1960 and have used almost all possible trading tools and techniques including mechanical trading models. At present I favor classic bar chart interpretation accompanied by a few indicators such as RSI, MACD and others. I trade both net positions and spreads in virtually all futures markets.

My objective is profit, not being "right" on a forecast. No ego, just profits. If you have an interest please private message to me and we'll see if we can get something started.

Best Regards,

philzach
    philzach

Why not exchange ideas here?

Comment

In agreement

Speaking from someone who constantly wants to find ways to increase my profits (especially considering how awful this current market has been for me), I'm always looking for good quality information to help me out.

Besides, I also feel that any information that can benefit the majority out there is better out in the open than behind closed doors. It'll make us all better traders by having the most viewpoints and opinions presented versus a small sampling.

Anyways, just my 0.02 worth.

Comment

I personally love this market! This is the ultimate trading market for me. I have already started a group situation for people at my cost.

Though I will not leave this place for it is an excellent source for all traders.

Thank you Esignal!

Fibbgann
        Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

ANDREW CARDWELL 'S RSI

Hi
          Any one have read Cardwell's course, and
          pls comment.

thanks

Rowe

Comment

It's just been way too chop-chop for me on the ES contract.

Yesterday was a great move for me, though, thanks in large part to the bear flag on the daily being confirmed the day before.

However, the overall trading range has been just too narrow for my liking.

I've been doing a lot more Gann reading and working with Square of Nine to better pinpoint market turning points. I've also been looking at some Cycle Theory work as well from Ehlers. I just wish I had more time in a day to devote to the readings and homework on the materials.

Just to share some info I've found at least that has helped me out with my trading. For me, I still go with chart patterns for my bread and butter along with a MAMA-FAMA bandline set-up. Found that the Jurik RSX also helps out a lot as well. It has kept me out of a lot of bad stuff but as always I'm looking for a better edge because I feel my profits could be better than what I'm currently pulling down at the moment.

One question I'd like to pose is what sort of recommended reading materials would the board suggest as far as market geometry, Gann and Cycle theory goes?

Sorry for the ramblings going on here. Still not fully awake just yet (when you have a four year old who keeps you up almost all the night, that'll tend to happen I guess). Good luck in your trading and God bless!

Originally posted by FibbGann
            I personally love this market! This is the ultimate trading market for me. I have already started a group situation for people at my cost.

Though I will not leave this place for it is an excellent source for all traders.

Thank you Esignal!

Fibbgann

Comment

I studied Gann for 3 years straight full on, and had to ask myself this.

Do I really need to do all this work to be able to profit consistently in the markets?

And I came to the conclusion of "NO".

I was trying to find out everything about the markets and how to trade them and made it more than it really is.

Although I do use some aspects of Gann, the full picture is just way to much time for me to waste.

I have been able to tweak my trading down to about 3 hours a day, and keeping it simple. even in these wild markets I am able to pull a very nice profit almost everyday day. Averaging a minimum of $500 just on the S&P E-mini's not including all other investments.

I like many other traders just made it harder than it needs to be.
              Now I can spend less time on the stressful markets and more time enjoying life.

It takes awhile to accomplish this and the ability to train yourself when to just say NO. I no longer force trades like I did many times in my early days. And if the markets are just not going to give me what I am looking for, then oh well that day is not for me.(which are very few)

This is definitely one of the hardest professions, but it can be controlled and mastered!

This is JMHO and nothing more, for there are others that make great use of Gann like "theplumber" which amazes me with his knowledge!

Fibbgann
              Last edited by FibbGann; 08-07-2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

See, that's my thing right there. Just how much information is necessary before enough is enough, you know.

I am amazed by the Gann users out there and how they are able to pick things out that I would never be able to see. That's why I've gotten so much more into Gann trading techniques (also because I like the mathematics involved....but I've always been a glutton for punishment).

I'm profitable for the most part. There are days where I do take a small loss but it's few and far between as well. I'm just trying to squeeze out a little more since I primarily deal with the mini contracts as my bread and butter.

What have you found helpful in your Gann studies? Square of Nine, Time-Price Boxes, etc. What would be the things you'd spend the most attention on and what would you say "Look over if you're really interested, but don't kill yourself trying to figure it out."?

I studied Gann for 3 years straight full on, and had to ask myself this.

Do I really need to do all this work to be able to profit consistently in the markets?

And I came to the conclusion of "NO".

I was trying to find out everything about the markets and how to trade them and made it more than it really is.

Although I do use some aspects of Gann, the full picture is just way to much time for me to waste.

I have been able to tweak my trading down to about 3 hours a day, and keeping it simple. even in these wild markets I am able to pull a very nice profit almost everyday day. Averaging a minimum of $500 just on the S&P E-mini's not including all other investments.

I like many other traders just made it harder than it needs to be.
                Now I can spend less time on the stressful markets and more time enjoying life.

It takes awhile to accomplish this and the ability to train yourself when to just say NO. I no longer force trades like I did many times in my early days. And if the markets are just not going to give me what I am looking for, then oh well that day is not for me.(which are very few)

This is definitely one of the hardest professions, but it can be controlled and mastered!

This is JMHO and nothing more, for there are others that make great use of Gann like "theplumber" which amazes me with his knowledge!

Fibbgann

Comment

Well due to who knows how many hours (ALOT!) of looking at charts, I am able to see alot of stuff without really having to look for it.

Without going into grave detail here are some of my main focus points just for futures.

Candlestick patterns/formations.
                  S/R
                  divergence,
                  trin,
                  tick

Those are the basics without the details, if you would like more details you may PM me.

Its a grueling process, but once you understand its like taking candy from a baby. (most of the time)

Fibbgann

Comment

Just to follow up, 80% of all the endless material I have read. I have thrown out the window, for most of it 90% of the time was a non-factor. Though, I do have them remembered in my head incase I come across them.

Fibbgann

Comment

Just to follow up, 80% of all the endless material I have read. I have thrown out the window, for most of it 90% of the time was a non-factor. Though, I do have them remembered in my head incase I come across them.

Fibbgann
                      Sorry ,to ask you one stupid question, Can
                      I share your booklist, maybe can share your experience.

Thx in advance

Rowe

Comment

Rowe

I am not as smart as FibbGann but I have studied a ton. I just finished book number 271 in the last 5 years and have been to some really great seminars. I will list the best of both.

Robert Miner Dynamic Trading Classic!

Anything and everything by John Hill my hero and a genius
                        His best two books are
                        Stock and Commodity Market Trend Trading by Advanced Technical Analysis
                        Scientific Interpretation of Bar Charts

Larry Pesaventos books are great plus he is a wonderful human being! but his three best are
                        Fib Ratio's with pattern recognition
                        Profitable patterns for stock trading, but he trades futures.
                        Opening price principle, great for day trading

Jenkins, Geometry of Stock market profits
                        Chart reading for proffesional traders.

These are a must and are a good starting point.

There are two seminars that I have been two that were worth it, the rest were good but I could of learned them from a book.

Linda Rascke (hope I spelled her name right) great seminar from a smart trader. Good info, just don't take everything she says as gospel.

Kevin Haggerty, great seminar, just great. Ran Fediliity's desk for ten years, the man lives to trade, a must seminar.

If I could give one piece of advice in your quest for being a good trader is to read these books or seminars and pick the best out of them and what works for you and throw away the rest.

You can also combine things you learn from two teachers. an example would be Kevin Haggerty will tell you timing based on his knowledge of the floor where Linda will tell you best times based on back testing.

Another thing I learned from seminars is to use MA's or similar indicators on maybe a advance decline chart, ticki, tick chart do things that no one else would think to use them on, this is very, very good advice, there is a big hint here.
                        Hope this helps, I wish someone had told me.
                        Mark

Comment

I am in the trading arena for more than 15 years and I have also tried many approaches. Then I met with the work of Bryce Gilmore (BTW, he is the mentor of Robert Miner) five years ago and attended his seminar. Till then, I have thrown almost everything out of the window and I am only day-trading the E-Mini S&P following his methods with an outcome which is more than satisfactory for me.

Lastly, he wrote a book named "Trading To WIN" which I consider the bible of trading the E-Mini. And he runs a room on the net called TTW Course (I am surely a member of it) and he continues to teach us almost everyday with realtime examples.

I should say that his methods are not suitable for everyone and you must decide it for yourself if you are really serious about trading.

sincerely,

Comment

Sorry for I have been busy working on my project. Will try to get those titles/books up tommorow if possible, this weekend for sure.

Fibbgann

Comment

Here are some of those books:

Tools and Tactics for the Master Daytrader:
                              Capra, Greg; Velez, Oliver (Author's)

Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques, 2nd Edition:
                              by Steve Nison (Author)

Any books written by Steve Nison would be a good by IMHO.

Study Guide for Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets:
                              by John J. Murphy Author)

Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets:
                              by John J. Murphy Author)

These 2 are a must have!

I am currently working on revealing all my tips and tricks, though it will take time to get them all released.

Will be found
                              here.

Fibbgann

Comment

Working...
                              X