Back test efs for Strategy to not take signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back test efs for Strategy to not take signals

I am trying to work out the back testing formula code for situation(s) where no signals are to be taken i.e. take no strategy action to go long or short – stay flat – do not do anything.

The scenario is as follows. I have two moving averages as a band (or envelope) say an eight period MA of the highs and a ten period MA of the lows. When the price bars are inside (between) the MA channels no trades are to be initiated – period. This will be the case irrespective of whatever is exhibited by any indicators.

How do I code the back test efs to not take any trading action and stay flat?

I have spent many hours searching through the forum but cannot see anything on this.

Can someone please help me.

Robert

Re: Back test efs for Strategy to not take signals

Robert
    One way is to first create a variable that contains the condition in which you want the trades to be executed eg
    var myCondition = (High > UpperBand || Low < LowerBand);
    Then enclose all your strategy in a conditional statement that checks is myCondition is true eg
    if(myCondition){
    write your strategy here
    }

The strategy will execute only if the main condition is true ie either the High or the Low of a bar are outside of the bands.
    Hope this helps
    Alex

Originally posted by charttrader
    I am trying to work out the back testing formula code for situation(s) where no signals are to be taken i.e. take no strategy action to go long or short – stay flat – do not do anything.

The scenario is as follows. I have two moving averages as a band (or envelope) say an eight period MA of the highs and a ten period MA of the lows. When the price bars are inside (between) the MA channels no trades are to be initiated – period. This will be the case irrespective of whatever is exhibited by any indicators.

How do I code the back test efs to not take any trading action and stay flat?

I have spent many hours searching through the forum but cannot see anything on this.

Can someone please help me.

Robert

Comment

Alexis

Thanks for your quick response. You are a real life saver.

I will incorporate your advice in my code.

Best wishes and regards

Robert

Comment

Robert
        You are most welcome
        Alex

Originally posted by charttrader
        Alexis

Thanks for your quick response. You are a real life saver.

I will incorporate your advice in my code.

Best wishes and regards

Robert

Comment

Working...
        X