Studies on studies using Formula Wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studies on studies using Formula Wizard

As there have been various requests lately for studies on studies (such as MA of OBV, MA of Momentum, RSI of ROC, etc) it would seem that not everyone is aware that many of these studies on studies can be easily programmed with the Formula Wizard.
    If anyone is interested here is a brief explanation of the process

• Open the Formula Wizard and create a New Formula.
    • Set up the study to be used in another study (in this example ROC Study with default settings)

• Then add the second study (in the example a Moving Average) that will use the first study as the data source. In the Function Editor window for the second study go to the top where the constructor is located (circled in red in the image below)

• Click the dropdown arrow and you will have an option as to what source to use for the MA Study (not all studies will show this option).

• Select the one that uses DataSeriesID and not priceSource and you should be back at the regular Function Editor window with the difference that the source is now the ROC study and not the OHLC or combinations thereof.
    • Set the parameters for the MA and click OK.

• You have now created a study on a study with the Formula Wizard

At this point one can also further the concept and create a study of a study of a study, for example an MA of MA of ROC. Just repeat the above process adding a second MA that uses the first MA as the data source.

Hoping someone finds this useful

Alex
    Last edited by ACM; 05-29-2003, 11:18 AM.

Very useful, just one question, how do I get the studies in a separate window at the bottom of the advanced chart?

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Studies on studies using Formula Wizard'

mgladwin
      When you first launch the Formula Wizard it offers you a choice of Price Study or Non Price Study.
      Select the latter if you want the indicator to be in a separate pane.
      Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,
        I was wondering whether I can do this with an indicator created on my own. Is this possible?
        Regards
        Volker

Comment

Volker
          At this time the Formula Wizard can only create studies on studies using the built-in study functions available in the Formula Wizard
          Alex

Originally posted by thecrow2
          Hi Alex,
          I was wondering whether I can do this with an indicator created on my own. Is this possible?
          Regards
          Volker

Comment

Working...
          X