editing in the Wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• editing in the Wizard

When editing in the Wizard, ordinary editing functions [on a high lighted field for instance] such as 'delete', 'copy'/'paste', etc. don't work for me. Is there a way to make these editing functions work?

Re: editing in the Wizard

jcm21
    The editing functions Copy, Paste and Delete are not available in the Formula Wizard at this time.
    However you can use Ctrl+C for Copy, Ctrl+V for Paste and Ctrl+X for Cut (ie Delete)
    Alex

Originally posted by jcm21
    When editing in the Wizard, ordinary editing functions [on a high lighted field for instance] such as 'delete', 'copy'/'paste', etc. don't work for me. Is there a way to make these editing functions work?

Comment

ANOTHER WIZARD EDITING PROBLEM

I have not yet been able to enter "close(-1) - open(-1)" into Set1 of the Wizard Expressions field. I have tried several different methods [eg] when I type "close(-1) - open(-1)" into the field it compresses to "close(-1)"?

Please help - otherwise I am dead in the water.

Comment

MORE INFO REGARDING MY PREVIOUS POST

Yesterday I successfully created a back test using the Wizard with the following Expression Set but for the life of me I have not been able to create one with the more simple Expression of "close(-1) - open(-1)"

Set 1
        If these conditions are all true:
        (high(-1)+low(-1)+close(-1))/3 - (high(-2)+low(-2)+close(-2))/3

Comment

jcm21
          Enclose your custom expression inside parenthesis eg (close(-1)-open(-1)) and the syntax checker will not attempt to correct it.
          That said keep in mind that the Formula Wizard is a relatively basic tool meant to provide an initial approach to writing formulas in EFS. For anything that goes beyond basic programming you should really use the Editor.
          Alex

I have not yet been able to enter "close(-1) - open(-1)" into Set1 of the Wizard Expressions field. I have tried several different methods [eg] when I type "close(-1) - open(-1)" into the field it compresses to "close(-1)"?

Please help - otherwise I am dead in the water.

Comment

thanks

Thanks Alex,

Your help in the past few weeks has been invaluable in getting me off dead center.

Comment

Re: thanks

jcm21
              You are most welcome.
              FWIW your expression (high(-1)+low(-1)+close(-1))/3 - (high(-2)+low(-2)+close(-2))/3 is the same as calculating a 1 period Momentum study of the (H+L+C)/3
              To verify this create a formula using the Formula Wizard that returns the value of the Momentum study offset forward by 1 period and your expression (remember to enclose your expression in parenthesis when you type it in the Returned Data Points box).
              In the images enclosed below you can see the script set up in the Formula Wizard and the resulting chart showing identical plots.
              Alex

Thanks Alex,

Your help in the past few weeks has been invaluable in getting me off dead center.

Comment

quotes don't work for me?

re: a reply to a previous post in this series of Q&A

Enclosing the custom expression inside parenthesis does work for me in the Wizard but when I run the code as a backtest it doesn't work. I notice that the quotes are not stripped from the genereated command - could that be a problem?

Comment

Re: quotes don't work for me?

jcm21
                  Not sure as to what quotes you are referring. Post the script or attach the efs and someone will be able to assist you
                  Alex

re: a reply to a previous post in this series of Q&A

Enclosing the custom expression inside parenthesis does work for me in the Wizard but when I run the code as a backtest it doesn't work. I notice that the quotes are not stripped from the genereated command - could that be a problem?

Comment

MY ERROR!

How embarrassing - I used quotes instead of parentheses!!! Everythig is fine now that I am doing what I was told to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X