Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find and Manage Continuation Trades

Marc,

There are many threads on continuation trades with XTL and variations through which I could have posted the content of this thread. I elect to add a new thread so that:

1. I may confess and seek redemption, You and the good folks on this board can critically assess my recent failed attempt. .....
    and to focus specifically on:
    2. Set ups for continuation trades - what to look for and in what time frames.
    3. How to monitor and mange such a position.
    4. Finally if we can cover search parameters of the above.

Recent bullish market action particularly in Tech has produced explosive EW3 patterns which are chacterized as:
    1.By rule, Wave 3 is never the shortest, usually longer than 1&2 (T-26)
    2.Room to grow, 75% probability that W3 will reach 1.62-2.62 * w1
    If W3 can be identfied early enough in its development, a trader can place positions which gain from a few days of directional in this case bullish movement or at least horizental movement. The liklihood of success for a position which can gain from 2 out of only 3 possible directions is 2/3. The trade duration is only 2-14 days, this is not a long term directional trade in which pull backs are tolerated because the daily and weekly say that it will eventually correct back to target.

on 9/23/03, I identified from daily scans a young wave 3 developing for VXGN, it closed at $12.65. I looked for:

All Daily Parameters
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Daily W3 labeled
    2. Powerful 5/17 OSC breakout > 200% of Breakout band
    3. Powerful 5/35 OSC breakout > 200% of breakout band
    4. ADX > 40 Trending
    5. RSI> 90 pointing up, strong moomentum
    5. Stoch %K & %D > 95, strong momentum
    6. No MACD crosses above 80, No overbought signal.

Weekly Parameters
    ------------------------------
    1. Just turned into W3 up

Did not have Hourly Data. Based on the above, the next morning, I took a mildly aggressive position that price action would go above $13.75 (the red line) within a few days, 8.7% above the close on 9/23

As you can see from the charts, only the day I opened the position that VXGN ever closed above $13.75, and was there only on 3 days as I held on longer for the position to break out of its abc correction pattern and continue its wave3.

During the trade, I saw daily:
    1. XTL Blue on.
    2. 5/17 OSC drop to zero
    3. 5/35 OSC decline.
    4. 10/3 MACD crossed
    5. on 10/13, even the false Stoch bar dissappeared
    6. RSI dropped

I still had not had Hourly data. During this trade, all the signs were there to exit. The question now is how do u look for continuation of young wave 3 and what do you monitor to remain in it.

Failed continuation is not exclusive to wave 3 only, below I show another failed continuation on a projected wave 5 up, a type 1 buy. Again, I did not have hourly data to see a totally opposite formation taking place. I entered on 9/26/03 9:30 AM and exited 10/17/03.

Is it safe to conclude that I should look for these on hourly scans, time entry and exit on hourly data, and simply confirm daily direction and not necessarily exact wave formation as that of hourly?

Fortunately, wins exceed losses permitting me to Die Another Day.

The Charts depicting the sins follow:

First Example: Continuation along W3

Second Example: Continuation along Daily Type 1 buy

On VXGN:

The first photo shows VXGN after the end of the day on 09/23/2003. It ran up fast. No trading opportunity here, wait for a retracement, continuation XTL or type 1. No action.

The second photo shows VSGN as of Friday 10/17/2003. Is in the process of correction into a potential type 1. However PTI=29 and therefore no trading opportunity for a type 1 buy. At least it is not attractive.

The third photo shows IDBE as of 09/26/2003. No trading opportunity and PTI=33, unattractive for a type 1 buy.

This is my 2 cents worth.

Philippe
    Attached Files

Comment

Can only add 1 photo per post.

Here is VXGN 10/17/2003
      Attached Files

Comment

And IDBE as of 09/26/2003 PTI is 33
        Attached Files

Comment

Marc......Your insights on the original post are invaluable.

Kindest Regards, Dean

Comment

In essence, How to identify and manage momentum?

Comment

Momentum - that is what it is and that is why we use oscillators, the 5,17 for quick and early detection, and the 5,35 and 10,70 for intermediate and long term momentum. Thinking that way and correlating time frames - practice it and a light bulb goes on in the brain. Worked for me once Andy and I discussed it about a year ago.

Comment

Dean and Philippe!!! First of all this was a lot of work you put into these examples. Excellent!

Dean, forgive me for calling you Mike everyonce in a while.

I am glad you created this thread. Now that we have enough posts I will be making it a priority to start copying and combining some of these topics into one grouping such as this one. Once done, I will return to this thread so we can all develop this topic more completely. (I just have to do a few more tasks first before this happens....)

Thanks again for your examples.
                Marc

Comment

Forgive my late response......Marc, I shall continue to look to your insights on original post......Philippe, as I indicated in the original post, the daily 5/17 & 5/35 OSC levels have to be >200% of OSC breakout band to come through the daily scan/search....would like to hear your thoughts on such oscillator criteria...what concept (light bulb) did Andy reveal......

Kindest Regards, Dean

Comment

Here are some thoughts in response to your questions.

When the oscillators are >200% of the bands, the trend is already underway and "mature", and the possibility of a pullback increases. The rubberband is already stretched and may snap back some. I do not use these criteria nor do I recall any "rule" about them in the Aget videos.

About the light bulb: the market is fractal, like broccoli, each smaller part looks like the larger part and the little pieces are inside the bigger piece. If the behaviour of a part looks like the larger part, then trade in the direction of that part. Back to the broccoli: there may be divergences in the smaller parts shown by the 5,17 oscillators within the larger 5,35 type 1 and XTL continuation trades. Example: the hourly Dec Euro example posted in the other thread (XTL Continuation). Bottom line is: know which time frame you trade (example: daily), look at the big broccoli (weekly) to see if the trend is the same as the daily, then look inside the broccoli (hourly) to fine tune entry and avoid conflicts for entry (type 2 sell hourly within daily type 1) or fine tune the entry. On the other hand, an "inside broccoli" hourly type 2 sell may be a quick hit and run with emphasis of quick before you re-establish a regular type 1 or continuation XTL position within your time frame.

The other part of the light bulb has to do with "Who is in control?" part of the video tapes. This is one of the most important concepts in Aget other than money management. This concept is covered in the tapes. It helps to see the tapes, think about it for a while, look at some examples, watch the tapes again.

The final part of the light bulb for me is: the price is king. The price moves or absence of moves governs everything else. All indicators are price derived. Detection of the momentum when it starts (!!!, not >200% oscillator band) or starts again (XTL continuation) is key to be on the correct side of a price movement. Money management, stops and targets are the next step to consistent profitability.

That's it. Explore the broccoli, detect momentum, jump aboard, get off on time before momentum wanes, move on. Keep it simple, trendlines, entry, stop, target. Then buy some flowers for your wife.

Have a great weekend.

Philippe

Comment

Great Discussion.....let me summarize

Fractal=Broccoli=cross reference time frames
                      Who's in control relates to Momentum, how to use this information
                      Price is king to me means ride the rallies, get off at ATC breaks
                      Manage the $

Maybe if we can just use this to improve the scans/seraches further, i.e., add additional parameters and rerun with different time frames....Perhaps another peak at the original post parameters may be worthwhile.....

Your thoughts?

Comment

Yeah yeah broccoli that's what it's all about.

For today Oct 28 EOD XTL Cont daily shows 111 stocks up and zero (none) down. Saved the 111 as a portfolio and ran the second layer search for 5,17 osc pullback 80-100% and stochastics >50% all of this to search for shallow retracements.

Of these 11 stocks:
                        5,17 criteria alone: 22 stocks
                        Stoch %K > 50 alone: 17 stocks

This needs more work obviously and other search variables may come into play. Your thoughts?

Good night.

Philippe

Comment

Of the 17 stocks that satisfy both the %K>50 and 5,17 80-100% pullback, the Pearson coefficient was >0.9 in 5 stocks:

CMRG
                          FIC
                          GYMB
                          HSII
                          JCI

We should prospectively compare the behaviour of these with a group of 5 other stocks that do not or partially fill the other 3 criteria (%K, 5,17, Pearson). That makes for 8 groups of stocks to compare...

PRH

Comment

Reran 10/28/03 EOD data, trying two variations

First With just XTL & ATC, I got 131 out of 2247, saved to a portfolio.

Add %K>50% & 80%<5/17 OSCPB<100%, got 17
                            Out of these only 4 had >0.90 Pearson's R: FIC, GYMB, HSII, JCI

These are the are all 17 issues

When I take the 131 issues, and run them for %K<25 only, I get 6 issues, all having > 0.90 Pearson's R except for SNIC with 0.887
                            As you would expect, OSC PB > 100% when %K < 25

Philippe...Does it concern u any to take a continuation trend if trend has just labeled w5 complete prior to the down channel and break up? would u not look for reversal after w5?

Thoughts........

Comment

EOD Scans

Hi:
                              You guys might want to try Adx breaking up above 20 and volume breakouts of 125% .
                              Harndog

Comment

Working...
                              X