Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance issues yesterday and today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but then if another program does not lag, and Esignal does, why would I use Esignal??

Same issue is if there is a problem in the line to the Esignal server, even if that is not Esignal's fault, why would I keep using it? I can't move.

If my video refresh is at fault I can't do much about it either since it is a laptop. It also does not explain why I did not have delays before, then, suddenly, along with everyone else, I did. Nothing on my end changed. I've been through the machine twice looking for memory hogs, etc., and there is nothing.

Maybe the tech person said I had to delete the other files because I was going backward. I'm still confused how 10.1 uses less processor power than 8.0. I'll download the 10.1 (hopefully this is newer than what was available in Jan?). I am not optimistic.

Comment

INstalled the 10.1
      Last edited by Lisa23; 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I have version 10.1 since it came out, can assure you that there is no improvement. The point is not that ESignal is constantly lagging....the point is, that when the market gets very active it starts to print behind every other quoting vehicles, to the point of being useless during such moments.
        So as much as you guys are trying to tell your customers that the problem is on their side, it won't change the fact that ESignal is not up to a satisfying standard. I have two pretty advanced PCs, spent a lot of money for that part of my trading activity.....what kind of computer do I need to run ESignal perfectly? That PC is not available for the retail crowd......
        I think that ESignal is not investing enough into their hardware, either in quantity or quality......which is a shame seeing that ESignal is not exactly an "economy" charting package. You may need more servers? Create bigger capacity?
        Sorry guys, but I am really getting frustrated with this and reading through this thread makes it worse.....

Comment

I've been running with the same CPU/Video configuration for several years and only the last few months experienced delays.

Each day usually between 9:30 and 10:30 eSignal hangs for almost a minute, it happens several times a day every day since I installed the latest candidate release.

I used to have dozens of charts open and in an attempt to corect the delays limit myself to a single chart.

Although it's possible that my video card is causing the problem only during certain times of the day, with only a single chart open, seems very unlikely.

Apparently many of users reporting these delays are experienced eSignal users who seem quite adept with the technology.

It may be worthwhile to give them the benefit of the doubt that the problem is "real" and first ruling out eSignal as being the cause rather then automatically assuming it's on their end.

At least they will feel satisfied that the effort is made and perhaps some code issues can be identified.

Having been involved in similiar software issues in the past, these problems don't usually resolve themselves but tend to get worse until the exact cause of the problem is identified and resolved.

You may get lucky redesigning and recoding but without knowing the exact issue within the code that is causing the problem there is a real risk the problem will not be resolved in future releases as we are seeing so far.

Glen
          Last edited by demarcog; 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM.
          Glen Demarco
          [email protected]

Comment

I have a theory: there are many people complaining about slow data on eSignal, but i never had a problem (im a customer since 1 year). Altho i use Neoticker as the charting application, and eSignal only for data. This leads me to the suspicion that the problem might be in the client application itself, and not on the server side. One thing to try would be to see if it lags in NT too (there is a 1 month free demo). Another application to test this would be Ninjatrader (also free for charting). Those applications use the Datamanger only, so the main eSignal application isnt required.

Another possibility is that it is instrument specific (i only use FX symbols, maybe they arent affected).

Comment

Interesting. I do note Esignal uses more memory than my other apps, but I'm still so far below memory tops that it has to be CPU problem.

I do think my CPU was up more with 10.1 than 8.0, based on the fan going on and off (on task manager it never went to 100% though like it used to in March before I went back to 8.0).

Today I had delays at about 1o pm and exited and reentered and probably got a new server. I then did not notice delays (any more than 1s), but I also did not see the pace that usually causes delays.

Comment

At the end of the day, if any of our users feel they are experiencing lagging or freezing, we consider it a problem. Our only goal at that point is to try to fix it. That's the sole point of any and all troubleshooting suggestions.

To that end, we made great improvements in a number of areas of the code in 10.1 and we encourage all users to upgrade. We will continue our optimization efforts in 10.2 by expanding multi-threaded and 64-bit support, in addition to improving the code in every key module.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X