Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Issues

Hello,

I was using Esignal 11.5 64 bit. I had 400 symbols with 4 timeframes for each symbol loaded on a page. On windows 7 64 bit, it showed Esignal was 2G of memory.

I upgrade to R11.6. The page loaded with no problems. After awhile, Esignal reported that memory was low. I checked the task manager again and now Esignal was 11G instead of 2G. It seems like it keeps on growing every time price is being updated whereas with Esignal 11.5 it didn't do that. It remained at 2G even when price updated.

Has anyone seen this? I had to go back to 11.5.

-Mike

This is a known issue. One of the ways you help with this is to make sure that you do not have any EFS studies on your charts that you are not entitled for. This issue will be fixe din eSignal 11.6 SP1 that is coming out shortly. Thank you.
    Thank you,
    Eric O.
    eSignal Support

Comment

Originally posted by eostrom View Post
      This is a known issue. One of the ways you help with this is to make sure that you do not have any EFS studies on your charts that you are not entitled for. This issue will be fixe din eSignal 11.6 SP1 that is coming out shortly. Thank you.
      I only have my proprietary efs. I guess I can't upgrade until 11.6 SP1

Comment

We are working on getting SP1 release asap. I will post again when I have an exact release date. Thank you
        Thank you,
        Eric O.
        eSignal Support

Comment

I am running 11.6.3024.1119 64bit on a Vista 64 paltform and have 4GB memory.

I recently upgraded by Vista OS from 32 bit to 64 bit to be able to address all 4GB memory as the 32bit version of Esignal kept telling me I don't have enough memory and kept crashing unless I could catch it in time.

Now running the 64 bit version my memory error messages have gone away from Esignal as I have sufficient spare memory (1GB+), however as noted below by Mike Esignal just starts eating away at memeory for no apparent reason.

I start off with with something like 300MB usage which then increases to 1.5GB over a period of 2 hours (start of trading day) or so. I am only running 2 pages with 6 charts, 1 quote with 30 symbols and trade manager with custom indicators with ES emini primarily.

I have slavlishly tried to ensure all my coding is clean and have ensured through memory management to reduce all non essential window/program services to give maximum cpu/memory to Esignal which when Esignal starts there is only 38% memory usage with 68 processes running.

My only resort to get the memory usage back down to the start is run a memory defragmentation program (with System Mechanic) and that brings Esignal memory usage from 1.5GB down to 250MB and the program runs fine and the memory usage starts to build up again. This should not be so and I believe there must be some kind of memory leakage going on.

Is this what is being seen by others? Will SP1 release solve this problem? When is the release due?

Robert

Comment

We are working on SP1 which we hope will take care of most of the memory leak reports. We do have to take these on a case by case basis though. I will PM you some information and some questions. Thank you.
            Thank you,
            Eric O.
            eSignal Support

Comment

Will EFS Performance Monitor be included in upcoming 11.6 release as this is one the most useful tools from 10.6 to identify which efs's are affecting performance and therefore you can adjust yourself accordingly?

Out of interest, I ran 10.6 vs 11.6 side by side with all same efs and same charts and 10.6 only uses 30% of memory of 11.6. On CPU 11.6 can go to 100% in sustained periods of up to 10 seconds causing everything to freeze. 10.6 never does this and on average uses 20-50% of 11.6 CPU cycles.

I hope the programmers can add in 11.6SP1 release the EFS Performance Monitor, sort out any memory leakage problems and don't forget to add for Tick charts Remaining ticks as this has been forgotten as minutes and volume are shown.

Robert

Comment

I not yet sure when this feature will be included in the program. I am checking with our developers and will let you know. Thank you
                Thank you,
                Eric O.
                eSignal Support

Comment

Hi Eric,

We are working on SP1 which we hope will take care of most of the memory leak reports. We do have to take these on a case by case basis though. I will PM you some information and some questions. Thank you.
                  I have the same issue as Robert. I even upgraded to 18 GB ram and eSignal continuously creeps up.

Since these are taken on a case by case basis, have the developers found it is an efs issue, an issue with high tick volume like happens with ES #F, or the engine?

I ask because if the developers find specific issues with efs studies it would be immensely helpful if a list is made available to users so they can avoid those programming pitfalls.

I'll wait for the next update, no follow-up is needed.

Thanks,

Wayne
                  Last edited by waynecd; 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM.

Comment

There are a few different issues that are causing this for clients. Not all of them are efs specific. One of the issues involves IB, do you happen to have eSignal integrated with IB?
                    Thank you,
                    Eric O.
                    eSignal Support

Comment

No, Infinity Futures via Transact.

Wayne

Comment

We would need pages and efs files to get to the bottom of the memory leak in this case then. Also program logs from a bug report would help as well.
                        Thank you,
                        Eric O.
                        eSignal Support

Comment

I'll wait for the update to see how it does. I still haven't sat down to set up a generic page that reproduces the issue.

Wayne

Comment

I am having a memory problem too. The latest version seems to eat up memory until there is not enough memory left for any program (including eSignal) then I have to shut down and restart and the process continues again.

I do have IB linked to eSignal and I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem arises when IB is not open but eSignal is still looking for the link. I have disconnected IB from eSignal and that seems to fix the memory issue. It's not very impressive though. It is disappointing that there is usually bugs in the latest releases that have a substantial impact on a vital feature. Most of the time I upgrade to the latest version I end up regretting it and have to spend time trying to work out what's going wrong. Why are these bugs not picked up in Testing?

Scott

Comment

@crawfells you are correct in your assumption. Basically the IB plugin attempts to connect even though there is no connection available and it does this over and over again. We already have a fix for this issue in the next version of the program that is being released. I should be able to get a more firm release date later today.
                              Thank you,
                              Eric O.
                              eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                              X