Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forex Issues

Time now is 10am EST Tuesday

On my Euro US$ 1 and 5 min charts there are about 9 spikes up to exactly 1.2275.

These do not appear on any other charting package.

I have noticed that eSignal has done this before, in the last month.

Any comment on this ?

S

hagadol,

I see the bars in question. While we monitor the servers for ticks that are out of range, they occasionally can come through. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Bad Tick Reporter available in the Customer Service menu of eSignal. This feature allows end users to report any erroneous ticks that sent through the feed.

End users also have the ability to filter erroneous ticks locally. By using the Bar Editor, users can remove any portion of the OHLC data down to a one-minute interval.

While we are constantly monitoring the data to insure the integrity of the feed, any late reporting from the participating institution can also affect this data. I've reported this data to our QA team so that the necessary adjustments can be made. Thanks for the report.

Comment

I found this on another forum, commenting on the spikes. Any comment on this ?

"The GTIS feed does filter out spikes that are more than a certain percentage away from the last price. TRADERguy also indicated on another thread the the GTIS feed price jumps around a lot.

By default the GTIS feed plots the traded price - which does have a tendency to bounce around. It is possible to set esignal so that the bid or ask price within the GTIS feed is plotted. esignal told me so and have a formula for enabling this. I wonder if by plotting the bid or ask price, the plotted price would be more stable? Any thoughts?"

Comment

Just coming to the end of a month's trial with eSignal.

I am an FX trader and have been very worried by the sensitivity and odd spikes which appear on the eSignal FX charts, which do not appear on other charting packages.

I am looking now (12.45am est) at Cable 1min and Cable 5min and in the last 10 mins there was a spike down to 1.8086, which I cannot find on any other charts.

Last week in a period of an hour there were 9 spikes, all to the exact same pip level, which again only showed on eSignal !

While I really like the eSignal software, it is pointless to use it, if it shows irregular movements, not reflected in the general market.

Is there any adjustmnents i can make, to stop eSignal giving false action ?

Comment

I am a FX user as well for the past 1 month but I didn't really check on GTIS live rates. For FX, i think we can only use GTIS rate for indication, but not for system trading data source, it could be to dangerous because such spikes can affect any single orders.

I hope eSignal can do something to let users choose whatever sources they like, like FXCM, GAIN, etc...

Originally posted by hagadol
          Just coming to the end of a month's trial with eSignal.

I am an FX trader and have been very worried by the sensitivity and odd spikes which appear on the eSignal FX charts, which do not appear on other charting packages.

I am looking now (12.45am est) at Cable 1min and Cable 5min and in the last 10 mins there was a spike down to 1.8086, which I cannot find on any other charts.

Last week in a period of an hour there were 9 spikes, all to the exact same pip level, which again only showed on eSignal !

While I really like the eSignal software, it is pointless to use it, if it shows irregular movements, not reflected in the general market.

Is there any adjustmnents i can make, to stop eSignal giving false action ?

Comment

Is there a way to choose the data source ?

I use FXCM so it would be good to have just their, less eratic feed.

Comment

Hi Hagadol,

At this time, no, there's no way to select just one contributor from our Forex feed. It's a concept we've been considering for some time but it would require some significant changes with our history databases to seperate the data by key contributor. Still in discussion mode. We are, however, continuing to look at ways of cutting out the noise created by certain contributors on certain rates.

Have you tried using our price filtering tool? In an Advanced Chart, right-click, choose tools, then price filtering. The default settings are 100/50 but that clearly won't work for Forex rates. Try changing both values to .001 or .0001, depending on the instrument. Click the enable box and OK. You should see lots of light blue lines extending out of the bottom and top of the bars. These are the values you just filtered out ( for calculations, MA's, etc). Experiment with making lighter or tighter ranges and see how that works for you.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Scott,

If historical data is the main problem to release this new feature, maybe we can negelct historical data and just let user to use selected contributor's rate while running real time paper trade or integrated trading?

I am not sure if this make sense.....

Wilpin

Originally posted by ScottJ
                Hi Hagadol,

At this time, no, there's no way to select just one contributor from our Forex feed. It's a concept we've been considering for some time but it would require some significant changes with our history databases to seperate the data by key contributor. Still in discussion mode. We are, however, continuing to look at ways of cutting out the noise created by certain contributors on certain rates.

Have you tried using our price filtering tool? In an Advanced Chart, right-click, choose tools, then price filtering. The default settings are 100/50 but that clearly won't work for Forex rates. Try changing both values to .001 or .0001, depending on the instrument. Click the enable box and OK. You should see lots of light blue lines extending out of the bottom and top of the bars. These are the values you just filtered out ( for calculations, MA's, etc). Experiment with making lighter or tighter ranges and see how that works for you.

Thanks.

Comment

Still hoping to be able to use eSignal for FX trading. I had to stop due to massive and regular price variations from the market and other packages.

A FXCM / eSignal add, which has just come out, has led me to believe there might be some light, I qiote:

"......By selecting FXCM data from the eSignal forex feed, you can populate your charts witht he same executable prices displayed in the FXCM trading platform."

I was told that selecting a single data feed was not possible. Has this now changed ?

Comment

Hi hagadol,

No, at this moment it is still the same, and it is not suitable to use eSignal for Intraday trading yet...Really hope that eSignal can make some quick changes(though I don't think so...) otherwise all the user friendly features are all wasted.

Comment

Hagadol,

The status of being able to use just one Forex contributor w/in eSignal remains unchanged. It's definitely an issue that has high internal visibility but we haven't been able to slip it into the planning/production process quite yet.

That quote you reference is not accurate. Can you point me to a url or is that a printed ad? If printed, please fax me a copy at 510-266-6021.

Thanks.

Comment

Page 35 of Tech Analysis Of Stocks And Shares October issue.

Color page add telling me that my one feed dream is available.

I think that you will get alot of FX business if you sort this issue.

For the moment for FX it is a case of the best charts with terrible feed.

Comment

hagadol/wilpin,

If you're game, I have another system I can let you both try that handles Forex data differently than we currently handle in eSignal. It's not a true single source feed but the methodology tends to keep the data in much tighter ranges. It even does permit a single contributor to be displayed but only with 1 day's worth of history and not available for all contributors.

If you want to learn more, shoot me a PM with your eSignal username and a good time to reach you. I'll get in touch next week and fill-in more details.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ
                            hagadol/wilpin,

If you're game, I have another system I can let you both try that handles Forex data differently than we currently handle in eSignal. It's not a true single source feed but the methodology tends to keep the data in much tighter ranges. It even does permit a single contributor to be displayed but only with 1 day's worth of history and not available for all contributors.

If you want to learn more, shoot me a PM with your eSignal username and a good time to reach you. I'll get in touch next week and fill-in more details.

Thanks.
                            Scott,

What about the rest of us? I'm in the same situation as hagadol & wilpin, and as I'm sure, many of your other forex customers. I personally know one of your forex customers and 9 would-be customers all asking for the same thing. How do we get to try out this new system you mentioned?

I sent you a PM last week but I have yet to get a response back.

The only reason I'm using your product is for forex, so I'm wondering why I should continue to be a customer if your forex solution is unusable. All I need is one contributor (FXCM) and the one day worth of intraday history would be fine for trading purposes.

Comment

Python,

Got your response and I'm happy to have you part of the test. When we're ready to start, we'll be in touch. Hopefully we are ready within a few more days.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X