Market Profile on Daily Timeframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market Profile on Daily Timeframe

I understand that Market Profile is supposed to work on a Daily timeframe?

If so... am I the only one who is having problems getting Market Profile to display on a Daily timeframe?

When I attempt to get Market Profile to display ES on a daily TF, it consumes 100% of my CPU for 10 - 15mins and still doesn't load. I don't think I'll ever be able to since I tried twice and both attempts failed.

My computer gets all sluggish and eSignal window titlebar shows the (Not Responding) message.

My PC is AMD Athlon64-3000 based and has 1 gigabyte of ram.

So is it just me? Or a AMD64 issue potentially?

Anson
    By what I am seeing the issue seems to be related to the Tick Factor being incorrectly set to 0 with some #F contracts such as ES, NQ or YM. The corresponding specific or 1! contracts ie ES H6 or ES 1! appear to be working fine (see following image). FWIW other #F contracts such as for example CL #f or SP #F are instead working properly on daily interval

To get the ES #F daily chart to display you need to manually set the Tick Increment. Even then though the price scale appears to have some problems (see image below)
    Alex

Comment

Unfortunately, there are known issues with AMD 64-bit processors typically seen as missing data on Quote Windows. I haven't heard of that specific issue, but be it that most of the issues seen with this processor type are sporadic, this is likely related.
      Regards,
      Jay F.
      Product Manager

Comment

Alex,

I'm not sure if setting the Tick Increment manually is even possible.

I opened a new MP chart and first used a 30min TF. I then set the Tick Increment manually to 2. I then change the TF to Daily and the next thing you know... my processor is at 100% consumption. It's hard to even get into the Tick Increment setting then because the processor is getting all locked up. Even when I do finally manage to get into the Tick Increment setting, it seems to do nothing to help. Nothing appears on the MP chart still and my processor remains locked at 95-100%!

Someone at eSignal please check it out!
        Last edited by Anson; 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I did more testing.

Alex is right. ESH6 managed to load up on the MP Daily timeframe. However, I checked the tick increment it was first automatically set up with and it showed "-5"?!

Since the Tick Increment setting only allows a minimum of "1" value... there's no way I can adjust the tick increment setting without my processor going nuts. The only way I can do any tick adjustment is by dragging the price scale manually with my mouse. However, it only allows me to set the tick increment to 4 (1 point on ES) this way. If I try to drag the price scale tick increment to 1 (0.25 pts), the MP chart basically goes blank until I drag it back to 4.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Anson
            As Jay indicated in his reply part of the issue you are seeing could be related to the type of processor.
            In fact I am using a Pentium4 and am not getting any increase of CPU to 100% or the application locking up if I change symbol to ES #F. In the enclosed animated gif you can see that ES #F loads but does not display anything. Immediately after I set the Tick Factor to 2 and the chart displays right away
            Alex

Comment

Thanks Alex for the help testing.

It's pretty likely to be processor related then. I can't get the ES #F daily MP chart up without it running the processor to 100% for even 1 second.

Even when I first load up the ESH6 MP daily chart then switch symbols to ES #F.

I give up! Hope eSignal looks at improving compatibilty with AMD64 bit processors soon. I actually bought an AMD64 in the hopes of speeding up eSignal charting!! The irony!

Comment

Anson
                You are most welcome.
                In the mean time you may want to try using ES 1! if to plot the continuous contract.
                Alex

Comment

Working...
                X