IB question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IB question

How does one enter a STOP order using the IB Integrated trading interface? When I tried, the IB Broker window contacined the message:"Error in validating entry-fields - Please enter an auxPrice.
    Yet there is no auxPrice fieed in the entry window, only a field for Stop-Limit, tho' this is is not a stop limit order, and does not require both a STOP and LIMIT field.
    Thks
    wombat

Hi Wombat,

I just got a new computer and haven't installed the IB TWS yet, so I haven't been able to answer this. However, in talking with someone here in-house, they informed me that they have entries for Stop & Stop Limit Order. How do they equate to Stop Loss? Aren't they somewhat the same?

I was hoping that someone who has IB & uses these features would chime in with their experiences. I will be installing IB TWS this afternoon & take a look at it on Friday.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy

Comment

In the trade order window, there should be a selection with a stop limit and the secondary box (Aux price, usually grayed out) will highlight.

You also need tha latest verion of the TWS for it to work.

Good luck.

Comment

Eva
        Thanks, but I am simply trying to place a regular STOP order, not a STOP LIMIT (so there should not be a need for the AUX feature).
        Thanks
        George

Comment

In IB terminolgy AuxPrice IS a STOP price for Stop orders.

DB

Comment

Hi George,

I see what you're saying and it looks like another "IB order entry" bug. According to IB api:

"auxPrice - identifies the STOP price for stop-limit orders, and the offset amount for relative orders. In all other cases, specify zero. "

From the message contained in the broker window, I'd bet that the esig dll function is passing STP_LMT instead of STP for orderType.

Comment

You're right DB, so perhaps esig is in fact passing in STP but specifiying the price in lmtPrice instead of auxPrice.

Comment

Dynastore
                But the doc says this:
                "To set up a Stop Limit order, create a Buy or Sell order on the trading screen. In the Lmt Price field enter the Limit price. In the Aux. Price field, enter the Stop Election price."
                George

Comment

Wombat,

All what I said was: the "AuxPrice" is the name for StopPrice in all IB API functions that require Stop price, i.e. in Stop, StopLimit and TrailStop forders.

I did not say anything about eSignal's IB order entry window - I just did not use it yet, so I can't say if it is correct or not (I suppose it should be correct, but may not support all possible order types, or in opposite, it supports all types, but you need to enter the needed parameters). If you want, I may review it and give you some suggestions.

As we work with IB API closely here, I noticed known word ("AuxPrice") at the discussion, so I thought a little piece of my knowledge might help, so sorry if I was wrong.

DB

Comment

Wombat,

OK, I reviewed your original post and may say that orginally IB warned you that you tried to transmit Stop order with wrong Stop price (as I said, "AuxPrice" means "StopPrice"), so you just needed to correct Stop price in an entry window and re-confirm your order.

Good luck,
                    DB

Comment

I will try a vanilla STOP BUY or SELL from the Signal Order Entry screen again when TWS comes back up, and report here. I encourage others to do the same (it can always be cancelled, of course)
                      George

Comment

I was unable to enter a STOP order: validation failed (need to enter AUX PRICE). A STOP LIMIT order (using both the STOP price field and the STOP LIMIT field) was accepted and passed to TWS.
                        wombat

Comment

what about trading from the EFS?

has anyone successfully traded directly from an EFS, running constantly, and achieved all functions of monitoring the trade, getting back a fill price for market orders, the whole nine yards for monitoring and managing the account. Is there some documention I am missing? Can anyone help me out with this? I am freaking pulling my hair out trying to get this up and running, and I have no idea how to integrate the same functions I could through PaperTrading module. Meaning, I have the program written, it works, now I want to go live with it. I have the e-signal doc, all 2 pages of it, complete with "buy", "sell", and "showorderentry" functions. The third will bring up a box, with which I will do nothing if I am not at my computer. I want this to be 100% hands off, and I am having a hard time in understanding how the whole thing has been implemented. All I need is a complete list of IB functions, and what they return when called from an EFS. If anyone can help me, I would be deeply grateful.

Thomas.

Comment

Going Live with Esig...

I have a system too and working out the issues of going live with IB. Maybe we should work together to resolve these issues.

I too am working through these issues. Why don't you call me and I will try to help you. I have not turned my system on "Live" yet, but need to work these things out before I do.

BTW, Do you remember me?? We talked a while back regarding the post I put up on Yahoo (about my system). Well, it is doing even better than that post in RT on Intra-day emini data.

(949) 240-6977 - Call me so I can try to help...

Brad
                            Brad Matheny
                            eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Brad's in the house . . .

Brad,

Of course I remember you!!! Thanks for getting back to me. I will try to call you tonight after dinner, and I will tell you where I am with my 800 plus lines code. I got the PaperTrade working just about right, so all I wanted to do was to switch to IB calls, easy right? WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!! Maybe it is me, but I can not find any docs except what e-sig gives in the distribution.

I know Matt Briand used DynaSoft, but Matt G. told me I can do this directly. But three functions only???? Dude . . . this is no good, no good I tell you!!!

All I need to know is which function calls I can use to determine my order status, and my fill price. I handle everything else in the program. All my orders are market, so I can assume they get filled, but I just need to let the EFS code know that it placed an order, and it got filled.

Anyone reading this, I swear on my grave, that I will doc EVERYTHING I have done to make this work and put it up on the file share.

Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                              X